Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 12:30 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,043,537 times

Advertisements

Among, places like Times Square, French Quarter, Miami Beach, D.C., etc., which do you think will NEVER recover as tourist areas: I'm sure that Hawaii's tourism will bounce back once this Covid crisis is over. Places like NYC, I'm not so sure. It was a dump in the early 90s and could be heading back to those conditions where places like Times Square are totally unsafe for tourists. French Quarter could also descent into a ghetto like the rest of New Orleans even though it was perfectly safe (if you stayed within the boundaries) prior to the covid crisis. Places like D.C. and Miami are a little more likely to recover (D.C.'s tourist areas have massive security and South Beach can probably maintain its base). I think the rural areas (national parks, lake and mountain resorts, etc) will become even MORE popular as vacation spots over the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 12:40 AM

8,725 posts, read 7,456,489 times
I am pretty sure every place will bounce back just fine, or at least in line with global tourism rise or decline.

Old 06-18-2020, 01:25 AM

9,045 posts, read 3,550,288 times
I can say from personal experience as someone who spends a lot of time in the USA and always tries to promote it to my Aussie friends, the last few weeks has been a massive hit to the reputation of the country. Friends and colleagues of mine have told me their sentiments toward the US have downgraded significantly as they see that law and order is not maintained. It's a small anecdote and sample size i know, but safety while travelling abroad is hugely important and with good reason, the US is now seen as less safe.

I think it will take a significant period of stability before that view is reversed.

Old 06-18-2020, 01:30 AM

34,368 posts, read 18,751,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
I can say from personal experience as someone who spends a lot of time in the USA and always tries to promote it to my Aussie friends, the last few weeks has been a massive hit to the reputation of the country. Friends and colleagues of mine have told me their sentiments toward the US have downgraded significantly as they see that law and order is not maintained. It's a small anecdote and sample size i know, but safety while travelling abroad is hugely important and with good reason, the US is now seen as less safe.

I think it will take a significant period of stability before that view is reversed.
You know the MEDIA makes it look like it is very widespread. It is NOT. A few pockets in a few places, mainly just Seattle for the most part. But, think what you want.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:04 AM

3,659 posts, read 3,466,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You know the MEDIA makes it look like it is very widespread. It is NOT. A few pockets in a few places, mainly just Seattle for the most part. But, think what you want.
Well, the media reports what is newsworthy. What's happening in a few blocks of downtown Seattle is newsworthy, but Seattle is a big city, and I'm pretty sure that outside of that downtown area, nothing newsworthy is happening. People are being careful, I'm sure, but I'm equally sure that outside that CHAZ area, they're enjoying walks in parks with their dogs, and kids are happily playing in playgrounds.

But I agree with your main sentiment: the media makes it look like the entire United States is exploding with protests, conflicts, and hate. But what I hear from my American friends and correspondents in the US is that they're bored, mostly everything that could be fun is closed, and they just want to get back to work. They're not the type to protest, so they're distancing, enjoying their gardens, learning new cooking skills, practicing their golf swing in the back yard, and doing whatever else they can to alleviate boredom.

There are hotspots in the US that are newsworthy, but my friend's backyard garden in Washington DC is not among them. Neither is my Las Vegas friend's jogging route through residential neighborhoods. As one who has visited the US countless times, I'm sure that the US is as safe as it always has been, as long as one stays away from the hotspots.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Well, the media reports what is newsworthy. What's happening in a few blocks of downtown Seattle is newsworthy, but Seattle is a big city, and I'm pretty sure that outside of that downtown area, nothing newsworthy is happening. People are being careful, I'm sure, but I'm equally sure that outside that CHAZ area, they're enjoying walks in parks with their dogs, and kids are happily playing in playgrounds.

But I agree with your main sentiment: the media makes it look like the entire United States is exploding with protests, conflicts, and hate. But what I hear from my American friends and correspondents in the US is that they're bored, mostly everything that could be fun is closed, and they just want to get back to work. They're not the type to protest, so they're distancing, enjoying their gardens, learning new cooking skills, practicing their golf swing in the back yard, and doing whatever else they can to alleviate boredom.

There are hotspots in the US that are newsworthy, but my friend's backyard garden in Washington DC is not among them. Neither is my Las Vegas friend's jogging route through residential neighborhoods. As one who has visited the US countless times, I'm sure that the US is as safe as it always has been, as long as one stays away from the hotspots.
The Media no longer reports what is newsworthy, but what fits their agenda and Leftist narrative. They also now create stories to fit that narrative. However, I agree with much of what you say.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Of course. Though I'm not sure why you would think that people's views and opinions aren't informed by what they see on the media.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Of course. Though I'm not sure why you would think that people's views and opinions aren't informed by what they see on the media.
The Media is largely Democrat propaganda. Not information. People are not informed but indoctrinated.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:59 AM

Quote:
The Media is largely Democrat propaganda. Not information. People are not informed but indoctrinated.
Sure. I was simply talking about reputation. Whatever the drivers, the image has taken a big hit. I'm not saying its true or right.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:11 AM

290 posts, read 252,506 times
I think the problem could be the pitfalls of advanced vacation planning. I realize the odds of being in a rioting city are quite low, but people don't think about this mathematically.

It's quite possible that, months in the future, a lone juror in Minnesota deciding "not guilty" will cause the city you're touring to burn down around you. It doesn't matter that you're thousands of miles away. And you can be quite sure you'll get no help from either the police (who've had enough), or the city leaders (who are concerned only with placating groups which affect their vote totals). If you're caught in one of these conflagrations, you're entirely on your own. The cavalry ain't coming -- they've called in sick.

As a retiree traveler, the major US cities are completely off my travel list now. I'll be in the state and national parks for the foreseeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies