Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 08:34 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Not sure who you're referring to here by "lawless" but the organizers of the CHOP group have stated three demands vis-a-vis the city:

1. Defund the Seattle Police Department (which is not to say disband)
2. Increase investment in the black community
3. Release any protesters arrested during the recent George Floyd protests
They've issued a lot more than just three demands.

https://medium.com/@seattleblmanon3/...e-ddaee51d3e47

Old 06-19-2020, 08:35 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
No, there is not "immense property destruction" going on. This is a lie. Right-wing outlets have run photos of destruction taken in other cities and claimed it was on Capitol Hill. Seattle downtown saw damage the first night of the protests, but this has not occurred on Cap Hill.
You are correct. All the graffiti on buildngs and stuff is just artwork right ? The park is destroyed where they are attempting a garden. And where do you suppose all those people in tents are urinating and defecating ? Sure, there are porta potties but can they really support all those people ? Come on, don't try to say there hasn't been property destruction. There is all kinds of video evidence showing it.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:35 AM

7,927 posts, read 3,469,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Yeah like I don't know if you realized this, but businesses in the city have been closed since March? For reasons having nothing to do with protests or the CHAZ? Hello?
Whoa. Uptalking with the printed word. I've never seen that before.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:36 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Not sure who you're referring to here by "lawless" but the organizers of the CHOP group have stated three demands vis-a-vis the city:

1. Defund the Seattle Police Department (which is not to say disband)
2. Increase investment in the black community
3. Release any protesters arrested during the recent George Floyd protests
Three ?! You might want to do a bit of research there...

Old 06-19-2020, 08:37 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
They've issued a lot more than just three demands.

https://medium.com/@seattleblmanon3/...e-ddaee51d3e47
Even if legitimate, that is outdated. There has been a more recent focusing of efforts.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...e-7a32b8e56289

Old 06-19-2020, 08:38 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
We basically have entered a time period where people are afraid of sharing their opinions & beliefs, out of fear that others might disagree with them (or much, much worse unfortunately). Essentially fear, intimidation & threats are preventing any real kind of national debate, as the group leading the charge believe that they are right and that there should be no discussion or debate about it. Free speech and respect for others is no longer being valued and conformity to their exact social and political beliefs is being demanded. Because of fear, few people are willing to challenge them.
I'm not 'fraid.

We have enjoyed Seattle since moving here the arts the small boîtes restaurants are delightful. CoVid 19 has been very hard on Seattle with it's emphasis on tourism and the service industry. But all in all we have enjoyed it since moving here.

The violence and demands of the hooligans who took control of the city section are not in dispute. Many businesses have decided to move on to other cities, and indeed I spoke with several people yesterday who work in the tech industry who have requested transfers...e.g. hard to get into their homes, risk of violence etc.

The demands to defund police release prisoners are an anarchists wet dream. The people I saw are dysfunctional people unable to fit into societies norms. The guns, machetes are real and I fear there is worse stored there now. People who have been "lost" for some time gravitate to marginal areas and grapple with mental health issues. This is not pretty and though I personally oppose the ceding of this area to them, it perhaps was compassionate as an assault would have killed some and injured many more.

Seattle's issue is the denial of these issues. It is much more comfortable to ignore it than try and solve it. Another poster whom I respect on the Seattle form wrote a sad piece on Pikes Place Market now shuttered. I suggested a go fund me or like project. That thread received no replies.

Like other's I'm troubled by the health and lawful progress of society falling into such a lovely area, however I do not understand the profound loss of civic pride which would allow for the "flower child summer of love" to endure as a description if it were only true....this by the Mayor of the city. Nothing in that area resembles the summer of love which in San Francisco was a true and wonderful expression. The area is blight, with people sleeping on cold sidewalks and streets alone, unattended and vulnerable. The people on the streets are angry belittling others and trolling for fights. The zone itself is as the videos show dangerous and more. It's no place to be.

This area demoralizes many Seattle residents (those who care) and provides fodder for those who do not who view the passing disaster as just another "thing" in the evolution of anarchy....which they are sure is coming. Some of those have homes elsewhere, some don't.....and those are planning to leave the area.

This video perhaps says it best.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/joey-r...town-decimated

Old 06-19-2020, 08:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I did forget to say that people are sleeping on city streets all around Chaz. It is the worst thing I've seen in an American city.....even in L.A. it's organized on some level. This is simple failure.
The Occupy Movement expanded to nearly 1000 cities in 80 countries.

Sleeping on the streets is the least of it.

The stunt in Seattle seems to trend more violent than typical Occupy Protests. Anarchy comes in endless flavors.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:50 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
No, most businesses are not functioning like normal anywhere in Seattle. Seattle has only just applied to move into Phase 2 of reopening due to COVID.

Seattle has been a model for flattening the curve, despite being the original epicenter within the US.
This is propaganda. Phase 1 in King County was very similar to phase 1 in other areas. King County was put into Phase 1 on May 1:

https://www.king5.com/article/news/h...able_polymer=1

Quote:
n King County, modified Phase 1 allows outdoor restaurant seating at 50% capacity and indoor seating at 25% capacity with tables 6 feet apart, retail at 15% capacity, personal services like salons and barbers at 25% capacity, professional services like accountants and insurance agents at 25% capacity and all construction.

Chelan and Douglas have also moved into modified Phase 1.

Chelan
Douglas
King
Yeah, exactly the same as it was here, on the east coast where I live.

Here is Phase 2:

https://www.king5.com/article/news/h...able_polymer=1

Quote:
Phase 2

Inslee's staff says this phase could start June 1.

This phase would allow more outdoor recreation, such as camping.

Small group gatherings of five people or less are allowed.

Barbershops and salons could reopen along with restaurants at 50% capacity and tables of five people or less. Pet services, including grooming, could resume. Some professional services could resume, although teleworking will still be encouraged.

Limited non-essential travel within the proximity of your home is allowed.
Just like many other places.

Seattle hasn't "been a model", they've been just like so many other places in this country. Your posts are implying that businesses are not open, or barely any are. I have lived in Seattle.

You're trying to tell people that there aren't a ton of restaurants in downtown Seattle all the way up to Capital Hill? Baloney. No vets on Capital Hill? Baloney. No retail stores on Capital Hill? Baloney. No grocery stores on Capital Hill? Baloney. You can find all of those types of businesses right there on Broadway, or within the next block up from Broadway.

But what do you see when videos are made of the stupid "CHAZ" area? Borded up businesses. Graffiti and trash everywhere.

Quote:
Seattle's decline has been predicted for about 150 years now. For nearly all of its existence, Seattle has been a dirty, working-class, rough and tumble port city with a high tolerance for vice and homelessness. Seattle is far more orderly and clean today than it has ever been in its entire history.

There are numerous live streams for anyone interested in seeing for themselves what is happening in the Seattle CHOP zone (where the median home price in surrounding neighborhood is a cool $1M). Psst, it is not that exciting. No need to take C-D posters' imaginary descriptions of it gleaned from afar and based on alt-right fantasies.

I suspect many aren't interested in actual truth, however.
More baloney. I lived there. I know what it used to be like. It wasn't perfect, had a lot of homeless people, but it was relatively clean, (if you don't count all the dust in the air from the construction of new apartments that were going up when I first got there.) You had a particular population in Seattle who were trashy, smelly, dirty - no, not the homeless, young adults who are now the parents of these idiots in "CHAZ". As I've posted elsewhere, what is going on in Seattle is of absolute no surprise to me, because this mindset has been going on for a very long time. I heard it when I lived there - I left over a decade ago.

But, you can still see what has happened to Seattle on the news. King 5 is not just available to you because you live there. You are aware that people can see the news from many different cities on this crazy thing called: "the internet", right? Seattle is even worse than it was when I lived there. It's trashier, way more homeless, and way further left than it was even when I was there - and it was pretty far left back then. They're pretty much off of the side, that's how far left they are now. That's not better. "CHAZ" isn't some utopia, it's filthy, it's disgusting, it's filled with whiny little b*tches who don't want to work and want free everything because they "deserve" it....bloody hell that city hasn't changed one fricken iota except to go even further left and mental.

Seattle is, and has been for a very long time, a mentally ill, drug addicted p*$$ hole, and it's not getting any better. If you're a tourist, you'll see some of it, but live there? You'll definitely see it. I wonder why these filthy twits didn't go up to Queen Anne hill and start their nonsense there? Afraid that the more affluent lunatics wouldn't accept them there?

Peddle that nonsense elsewhere.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 06-19-2020 at 09:02 AM..

Old 06-19-2020, 08:51 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
And so says the Tokyo Rose of the propaganda arm of CHAS on CD
word.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
They’re all democrats so no biggee to them.....
Anarchists oppose authority, government, elections, central banking, etc.

Not likely most of those engaged in this, vote for anyone.

Seems most lean a tad more sovereign anarchist than the traditional parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies