Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2020, 02:03 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,838,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I have never heard of the name Demetrius being associated with ghetto, but has been embraced by African Americans, probably because of it's biblical/religious connotation. Tyrone, on the other, has that stigmatization.

I did a little bit of digging on the origins of Tyrone becoming a "black name" in the US, because even as an African-American myself I'm a bit mystified how it started. One explanation, which I find funny, is that there was this one popular white/Irish actor back in the 1930s named Tyrone Power. Basically, black women from back in the day admired this actor, thought he was very handsome and so named their sons that, and it stuck for decades to come. He had that "Black Irish" look going on, which doesn't have anything to do with Black people, but at the same time he didn't have the Nazi ideal look for whiteness either.
I’m familiar with the actor, this is interesting though. I’m going to research it myself, I have a unique name so name origins are always of interest. Thanks for posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 02:39 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I was a hiring manager for over 25 years. As the person whose name would end up on the lawsuit or EEO claim if there were one, I can assure you that any number of candidates whose name, address or school indicates anything black end up in the reject pile.

I usually used a panel of people to rank a set of applicants for interviews and I learned very early on that I had to always go through the reject pile to make sure they were not intentionally weeding people out by race. Invariably, I found highly qualified candidates who were in the pile because there were indications on the application that they were black.
And I bet your name ended up on more lawsuits or EEO claim more often for your efforts to hire people whose applications you dug out of the reject pile. Being highly qualified and most suited and least problematic are different things.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
so basically you are proving my point. "All things being equal"...that's cool but people aren't even making it past their names sounding stupid aka "too black".
Well if the names are different, then all things being equal scenario is not being met. Why continue to name your children that way if you believe it will hold them back?

Old 06-22-2020, 02:50 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
From approximately the 1920s-1950s blacks had a low crime rate, stable marriages, and were doing well in education. In some areas they were excelling whites. When the democrats under LBJ created their War on Poverty programs with all their welfare programs, government dependency, busing to schools, financial rewards for out-of-wedlock babies, and a victimhood identity for blacks, the success and marriage numbers dropped every year until now we have a serious underclass of blacks believing their plight is systemic racism.

Even though back then there was still some segregation, blacks created their own thriving successful communities and businesses that were dependent on other blacks prospering and succeeding, not on the government handouts.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:54 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
And I bet your name ended up on more lawsuits or EEO claim more often for your efforts to hire people whose applications you dug out of the reject pile. Being highly qualified and most suited and least problematic are different things.
You would be wrong. Several EEO complaints from people I fired who should have been fired long before I fired them. Most of them were white women.

I never said being highly qualified automatically results in hiring someone. Obviously, that's why you interview to determine who you want to hire.

What are you suggesting that highly qualified black people should be weeded out of the process because they will be problematic?

Old 06-22-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
You would be wrong. Several EEO complaints from people I fired who should have been fired long before I fired them. Most of them were white women.

I never said being highly qualified automatically results in hiring someone. Obviously, that's why you interview to determine who you want to hire.

What are you suggesting that highly qualified black people should be weeded out of the process because they will be problematic?
That doesn't prove anything. Maybe there were more white female employees. Maybe you fired more white women but didn't fire others who were more deserving of being fired.

I'm just saying people have tried to be fair and were fooled and burnt and become twice shy.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:10 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That doesn't prove anything. Maybe there were more white female employees. Maybe you fired more white women but didn't fire others who were more deserving of being fired.
The white women I fired were not people I hired.

Your point was that I got a lot of EEO complaints due to making sure that highly qualified black applicants were not put in the reject pile.

That never happened. I never had EEO complaints regarding hiring.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
The white women I fired were not people I hired.

Your point was that I got a lot of EEO complaints due to making sure that highly qualified black applicants were not put in the reject pile.

That never happened. I never had EEO complaints regarding hiring.
I didn't say you hired them. Not hiring them doesn't prove there were not statically more white females so would make up more EEO claims, nor prove they weren't discriminating against when fired. I didn't say you got more EEO complaints regarding hiring. I was suggesting you got more complaints regarding firing.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:17 PM

1,711 posts, read 807,770 times
When I see strange (to me) names, I'm more inclined to see low rent rather than Black. If I get 1000 applications and I can only research 50, and interview 10, the low rents get tossed, unless there is something really exceptional in the resume that jumps out. It isn't racism, it is time management.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
When I see strange (to me) names, I'm more inclined to see low rent rather than Black. If I get 1000 applications and I can only research 50, and interview 10, the low rents get tossed, unless there is something really exceptional in the resume that jumps out. It isn't racism, it is time management.
Exactly, when I see someone who has a strange name, I'm inclined to see someone who doesn't want to fit in with society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies