Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 11:57 AM

26,636 posts, read 28,433,148 times

Advertisements

I'm on the "left" if it makes any difference. This book banning comes up from time to time, over and over and over.

As a former school librarian with a masters in library and information services, we were taught NOT to ban books.
Teach critical thinking and the kids can figure it out. Ideally, the kids read the books in class along with the teacher to explain.

These fanatics are doing more harm than good because they will create a backlash and because if books are banned, kids don't learn about history and how times change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 12:02 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,690,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I can empathize with a student feeling uncomfortable - - I can't defend taking a work out of the curriculum.

In my middle school class of 250, we had fewer than 10 Jewish students - -we still talked about the Holocaust, still read Anne Frank.

From a 2018 study:

66% of Millenials don't know about the death camps in Auschwitz.

41% of Millenials believe there were 2 million or fewer Jews killed in the Holocaust.

22% of Millenials say they've never heard about the Holocaust.

You don't teach these topics in grade school, you lose the opportunity to ever teach it.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/14/60244...aust-knowledge
After considerable digging, I did find the original Shoen survey questions, and responses.

I really DON'T understand how NPR came up with these numbers - the survey and results reflect that both millennials and older Americans have a really good working knowledge of nazis and the Holocaust.

It was really heartening to read through the actual study and numbers that NPR is referencing, because that almost made me cry at how we could have failed so miserably teaching this important lesson. Anyway, good news. Apparently the Millennials demonstrate pretty thorough knowledge of the Holocaust.

http://www.claimscon.org/wp-content/...esults-1-1.pdf

Last edited by ClaraC; 06-20-2020 at 12:19 PM..

Old 06-20-2020, 12:03 PM

7,075 posts, read 4,675,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not banning anything. Or removing any books from curriculum. I'm just sitting around wasting time chatting on a forum.

I will say, I served on a committee that considered which books belong in the public school middle school library and I never nixed any of the books on the list. So there's that. I wouldn't have been thrilled that all those books were taught and required in the classroom, but allowing access in the library is fine. A positive.

And really, how very odd to compare Nazis with American Liberals. Exactly the opposite. It was liberals who ran the safe houses and tried to protect those who were targeted. How in the world do you not know this?

How odd that you cannot see that liberals have gone to the dark side. They ARE the new Marxist/Nazi party. Do as we say, say only what we permit, do not protect your cities from our destruction and takeover, don't complain when we censor, tear down American historical statues including George Washington....... or we will literally ruin your life, get you fired and/or go after your family. That's their new ideology. How in the world can you not see that.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:03 PM

12,229 posts, read 6,395,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Democrat's next step: Literally burning books
I`m a Democrat and I oppose banning books. Would you like it if I was to say "All Republicans are gun hugging racists"? That even felt stupid typing it.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:11 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,787,774 times
Um, banning books is nothing new. It's always happened, which is why the American Library Association has their annual Banned Books Week, to promote frequently and historically challenged/banned titles.

Harper Lee and Mark Twain have been banned in cities and towns and school districts throughout the US for decades. And, the truth is that conservative areas are as likely, if not more likely, to ban and/or destroy books.

I don't believe in censorship, so I don't believe in banning any book (and I'm a liberal, as are most of my colleagues), but I have to wonder how many of you choosing to suddenly become enraged about this very old news issue have ever even read To Kill a Mockingbird or The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, or many (classic) books at all, for that matter.

I think at least some people complaining about this almost never pick up a book, and are only using this issue as an excuse to be angry at "leftists."

Lots of you think studying literature is a waste of time, but now you're going to suddenly pretend to be advocates for it? What a riot.

100 most frequently challenged books by decade | Advocacy, Legislation & Issues

Frequently Challenged Books | Advocacy, Legislation & Issues

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 06-20-2020 at 12:22 PM..

Old 06-20-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm on the "left" if it makes any difference. This book banning comes up from time to time, over and over and over.

As a former school librarian with a masters in library and information services, we were taught NOT to ban books.
Teach critical thinking and the kids can figure it out. Ideally, the kids read the books in class along with the teacher to explain.

These fanatics are doing more harm than good because they will create a backlash and because if books are banned, kids don't learn about history and how times change.
Another (liberal) librarian here!

Old 06-20-2020, 12:59 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,342,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Hopefully your teacher told the students about the US lies regarding Bay of Tonkin to justify bombing, about the My Lai massacre and about "destroy the village in order to save it".
I’m going to respond to this rather...provocative comment.

I do not recall My Lai being covered, but believe Gulf of Tonkin was covered. We are talking a liberal MN school district here. But those topics were not covered in depth, I’m sure for a variety of reasons, including time constraints. However, I learned about all those events later on my own. If you recall, the Vietnam War was a very prominent topic in movies, magazine articles, tv series, and talk shows during that time. Oprah even covered aspects of it.

My independent efforts outside of the classroom revealed how complex the entire event was. The evils perpetuated by Lt. Calley and everyone involved during and after My Lai, was balanced by the goodness and extreme bravery displayed by W.O. Hugh Thompson Jr., his helicopter crew, and the military officials and citizens who objected to the leniency received by Calley, his bosses and fellow soldier perpetrators following their trials.

I will never consciously judge people as a group, instead I always consider the individuals, no matter their numbers.

Last edited by mingna; 06-20-2020 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: Misspelling

Old 06-20-2020, 06:24 PM

45,680 posts, read 23,815,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
right or left banning books is wrong
YES!!! And I should have HIGHLIGHTED that in my post. NEVER a good idea....but not a left or right sickness.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:39 PM

16,295 posts, read 10,324,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Um, banning books is nothing new. It's always happened, which is why the American Library Association has their annual Banned Books Week, to promote frequently and historically challenged/banned titles.

Harper Lee and Mark Twain have been banned in cities and towns and school districts throughout the US for decades. And, the truth is that conservative areas are as likely, if not more likely, to ban and/or destroy books.

I don't believe in censorship, so I don't believe in banning any book (and I'm a liberal, as are most of my colleagues), but I have to wonder how many of you choosing to suddenly become enraged about this very old news issue have ever even read To Kill a Mockingbird or The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, or many (classic) books at all, for that matter.

I think at least some people complaining about this almost never pick up a book, and are only using this issue as an excuse to be angry at "leftists."

Lots of you think studying literature is a waste of time, but now you're going to suddenly pretend to be advocates for it? What a riot.

100 most frequently challenged books by decade | Advocacy, Legislation & Issues

Frequently Challenged Books | Advocacy, Legislation & Issues
As a librarian, how do you choose where to draw the line between banning a book and deciding that a particular book is not appropriate for the population you are serving? As an example, on your first link, one of the books listed is Final Exit by Derek Humphry. For those who don't know, this book is a suicide manual. Literally, it teaches its readers the nuts and bolts of how to commit suicide by various methods. I would suggest that this book is inappropriate for ANY school library.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
As a librarian, how do you choose where to draw the line between banning a book and deciding that a particular book is not appropriate for the population you are serving? As an example, on your first link, one of the books listed is Final Exit by Derek Humphry. For those who don't know, this book is a suicide manual. Literally, it teaches its readers the nuts and bolts of how to commit suicide by various methods. I would suggest that this book is inappropriate for ANY school library.
I agree with you. It's an adult book published for an adult audience, so I doubt any school librarian would select it.

To answer your question, though, professional librarians use reviews published in professional journals and other authoritative sources as a primary collection development method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies