Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 11:21 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
So you are saying brain surgeons and cops have YOUR life in their hands and they can take it away at will? I agree. Then how come one job makes 50k/year and the other job makes 200k/year?

Also, I didn’t know brain surgeon faces certain death if they ****ed up. Do they get ambushed or assassinated if they ****ed up? The only time brain surgeon or doctor faces prison is when they are in complete negligence and without any regard for their patient. If it’s a medical mishap without negligence, then their malpractice insurance is going to cover that.
Difference in payment is that I can choose the surgeon (well, most of the time) and it's my decision whether to have surgery at all; with the cop I don't choose him/her, and it's never my decision if I want any interaction.

So it is obvious that I pay more for the service I chose. It's called capitalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
If a cop ****ed up, he has two really ****ty options for a job making 50k/year
a) go to prison cause he reacts too fast
b) he gets shot cause he hesitates and not react fast enough

If a brain surgeon ****ed up , he also has 2 options
a) go to prison cause he is negligence
b) I am sorry we are unable to save your loved one because she passed away before we can get to her
Well, sometimes (although very rarely) disgruntled family member can shoot surgeon too if they believe he ****ed up. Not as often as cop, but still a possibility.

Conclusion? Don't **** up. Cannot do that? Don't take the job.

But I agree with you on one thing - doctors have too much of a leeway. Doctor mistakes cause ~440,000 deaths every year in USA alone - and they get away with it. I would prohibit any malpractice insurance whatsoever. Mistake caused someone to die? Welcome to prison.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:37 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...seldom, very seldom do i agree with you alt..but this time for sure...every surgeon has to have liability insurance, why?...because they make mistakes and are held accountable...the cops get a pass?...nah this is a good thing...
Fair enough, quick question....if cops are forced to buy liability insurance...should their salaries increase order to cover the cost of insurance? Because from my understanding liability coverage is one of the reasons doctors/hospitals charge so much.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:37 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...seldom, very seldom do i agree with you alt..but this time for sure...every surgeon has to have liability insurance, why?...because they make mistakes and are held accountable...the cops get a pass?...nah this is a good thing...

What?!
Does surgeon put HIS life on line when he performs the operation?!!
Cops DO!
And you want them now to have some "liability insurance" as surgeons do?

Things are getting more and more crazy by day)))

Old 06-19-2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What?!
Does surgeon put HIS life on line when he performs the operation?!!
Cops DO!
And you want them now to have some "liability insurance" as surgeons do?

Things are getting more and more crazy by day)))
Let's be honest here. It is extremely rare cases when cops "put their life on line", and those cases are as often as for average person to get into the same situation (except average person has no immunity whatsoever). If there is even slight danger, cops are just calling SWAT in.

So, it's pretty safe job - only #26 in chances to die from it.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Let's be honest here. It is extremely rare cases when cops "put their life on line", and those cases are as often as for average person to get into the same situation (except average person has no immunity whatsoever). If there is even slight danger, cops are just calling SWAT in.

What are you even talking about?

With the amount of illegal guns on the streets???? ( and legal actually too, but that's usually of lesser concern.)

And in particularly dangerous parts of the cities? ( Yes, "hoods" first of all.)
OF COURSE they are putting their lives at risk every time they are out there.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:01 AM

14,226 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:

Refer to my posts #28 and #29 about cop being a safe job

Old 06-20-2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
So if a big city cop (LA, Chitown, NYC, etc) works for 20 years, he has... ....let's say..... 20-30 opportunities (that is a very conservative estimate) to make split -second decision during his 20 years.

He has to make the right decision EVERY SINGLE TIME. If not, he will faces certain death, prison, or lawsuits?

"BE PERFECT OR BE DEAD"

I am sure that will be a good recruitment catch.

This is insane of course, and I don't know WHO in sound mind would want this job.

The common sense of course is to review their training, as in DON'T SHOOT if NOBODY"S LIFE IS IN DANGER, even if you feel that you didn't "accomplish the goal" of arresting someone right on a spot. You can always do that later, but you can't bring killed person back to life.

And sure like heck don't step on someone's throat for the hell of it.

Pretty simple, no?

It's called "common sense," no " liability insurance" needed.
Let the city pay as it was before, if it fails to train the police force properly.

Last edited by erasure; 06-20-2020 at 12:41 AM..

Old 06-20-2020, 04:43 AM

14,226 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
This is insane of course, and I don't know WHO in sound mind would want this job.

The common sense of course is to review their training, as in DON'T SHOOT if NOBODY"S LIFE IS IN DANGER, even if you feel that you didn't "accomplish the goal" of arresting someone right on a spot. You can always do that later, but you can't bring killed person back to life.

And sure like heck don't step on someone's throat for the hell of it.

Pretty simple, no?

It's called "common sense," no " liability insurance" needed.
Let the city pay as it was before, if it fails to train the police force properly.
It is easy to make common sense decision behind the safety of your computer screen after you review a police involved shooting on 1080p slow replay from multiple angles in your 62in HDTV

Old 06-20-2020, 04:46 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Difference in payment is that I can choose the surgeon (well, most of the time) and it's my decision whether to have surgery at all; with the cop I don't choose him/her, and it's never my decision if I want any interaction.
Well that may be the case for you, but it is absolute nonsense in most cases where a negative outcome is experienced at the hands of cops.

Getting drunk and high and driving your car is a decision to interact with police. Passing fake bills is a decision to interact with police. Criminals just need to stop making stupid decisions that creates an interaction with police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies