Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2022, 08:43 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, and they don't (with the possible exception of Nazi war criminals, though most of them went to South America). So why do Blacks ignore the fact that the Atlantic slave trade never even would have existed if not for Africans capturing and selling other Africans into slavery? And it didn't start with the Atlantic slave trade, capturing slaves and selling/bartering them had been going on within Africa for centuries before that, if not longer.
Like biden says, don't let the facts interfere with the truth, in today's language it is called selective history to get more tax payer dollars.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:59 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
In this case, it is advantageous to give people a day off and a reason to party based on slavery and race which keeps the divisive mindset active and does nothing to make life better. They don't give an economy that will supply jobs. They don't provide protection from criminals. They don't supply a good education in lower income inner cities. They are content to let dangerous, hopeless living conditions persist. But hey - June 19th... whoop whoop...
Exactly.

Success isn’t defined by federal holidays. The prosperity of Asian and Jewish Americans has shown us that.

And we all know what happens on long federal holiday weekends.
Quote:
Juneteenth celebrations marred by gun violence that killed 7 people and injured 21
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...69605.html?amp

What good is a holiday, if the people that it’s meant for, don’t even care for it?

Old 06-20-2022, 09:06 AM

1,567 posts, read 906,930 times
There will come a day when this sculpture will be condemned as racist and removed.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:08 AM

6,991 posts, read 2,705,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
There will come a day when this sculpture will be condemned as racist and removed.
I want to see the size of the spiders and lice that pic collects.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:12 AM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So I guess you think the people in Memphis who were celebrating Juneteenth in the 1980's were just a fluke, or maybe part of some sort of gov't plan to eventually use it as a way to divide the country? Buy it or not I don't care, you can be as wrong as you want to be.
Sure they celebrated it. Texas though made it a state holiday in 1980

Old 06-20-2022, 09:14 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Exactly.

Success isn’t defined by federal holidays. The prosperity of Asian and Jewish Americans has shown us that.

And we all know what happens on long federal holiday weekends.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...69605.html?amp

What good is a holiday, if the people that it’s meant for, don’t even care for it?
I want to reserve my own right to ̶m̶o̶s̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶p̶e̶a̶c̶e̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶t̶e̶s̶t̶ riot since my people were enslaved in Egypt, and had to risk drowning between parted waters to escape. Where is my check?

Old 06-20-2022, 09:23 AM

291 posts, read 159,905 times
I agree with the OP. I have learned about the importance of Juneteenth and it is an event worth celebrating.

However, too many Juneteenth events are in conjunction with BLM messaging (including memorabilia) and other leftist rhetoric.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:29 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
This cannot possibly be real, and yet....

https://www.theblaze.com/news/hair-p...ue-new-orleans

Reducing an entire demographic to a beauty product.

Um, kinda racist.
What! the actual f....!

THAT is their idea of an appropriate symbol to celebrate the freedom of slaves? A fricken hair pick?

That's the best they could come up with? Not...broken chains? Not families reuniting? Not a statue depicting a group of freed slaves rejoicing? NO! "Let's use a hair pick! That's not ignorant, at all!"

Old 06-20-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
This cannot possibly be real, and yet....

Quote:
A giant Afro hair pick with a clenched "black power" fist was unveiled in New Orleans on Friday in celebration of Juneteenth – the holiday paying tribute to the last American slaves being freed. However, the eyebrow-raising statue was widely panned online.
https://www.theblaze.com/news/hair-p...ue-new-orleans

Reducing an entire demographic to a beauty product.

Um, kinda racist.
I wonder who paid for the manufacture of this "work of art." Frankly, my people were degraded, marginalized and enslaved in Egypt thousands of years ago, The escape, according to the New York Times in April 1440 BCE (link to story about story, Times site was down that day), Hebrew Date 22 Nisan 2320 the Hebrews had had enough. Inspired by Moses' speech about "having a dream" about the burning bush that didn't consume itself, and Moses dispatching some Egyptian taskmaster with extreme prejudice, the Hebrews escaped. Miraculously the Red Sea cooperated.

We don't have a government-subsidized holiday for that event for the announcement that Pharaoh needed swimming lessons, or for the delivery of laws after the escape that facilitated a civilized society. Where are my subsidies? As a left-wing Democrat I demand them. I will engage in mostly peaceful protests until I get them.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I have some questions though of black posters. Can you live with it being a true celebration though? Fireworks, cookouts and black cultural events? I can envision something that is a cross between 4th of July and Cinco De Mayo. Can you handle that? Non black Americans will likely embrace that.....can you? Can you handle white people indulging in your culture without taking offense?
Some would call that cultural appropriation, much as Paul Simon's Diamonds in the Soles of Her Shoes is accused of being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
What we don’t want is another holiday celebrating the liberal view of race in America where white people are evil and blacks people are victims. We don’t need a summer version of MLK day. We don’t need reflection, a day of service or anything like that. What the country needs is another reason to celebrate unity and freedom. Your Juneteenth holiday can do that.

Can you live with a celebration? Can you allow other races to embrace aspects of your culture without the cries of cultural appropriation? Do you really want a NATIONAL holiday for all of us to celebrate the freedom of slaves or do you still want a private party that activists control. If most black people could say yes to this it could go a long way toward healing this countries race troubles.
Unlike you I am a leftist Democrat but I can agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies