Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 08:55 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times

Advertisements

I don't pay attention to the race of an author when picking a book; I'll happily read a book by anyone if it's a good story or on a subject I'm interested in. That said, I don't read a lot of modern fiction. I prefer a slightly older style, and older fiction is more likely to have a white author--that's just how it is. If I found a black author who writes like Dorothy Sayers, I'd be delighted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
I recently read Pachinko by Min Jin Lee and thought it was pretty good.
I read it for my book club. I liked it a lot up to a certain point, but the last fourth was awful. There was a certain dramatic climax in the story which I won't mention here because it's a spoiler, and I think she should have ended the book right there. All the main points had been made. Instead, she went on and on and the story got worse and worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 09:02 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Because I like to get perspectives from people who are not like me.
I bet its hard to find someone with an ear in the middle of their forehead, no matter what color they are, that wrote a book !!!

I did know a guy with six toes once but he never wrote a book that I know of !!! Some poetry but I don't believe he published it !!!

To bad, you might have liked him, he got a real dark tan in the summer time !!!

Mostly I have read Asian authors !!!
I remember the first one "A First Zen Reader" it had some interesting sayings in it :"Let the pearl of thy character be not quite round, for if quite round, it will roll to easily" was one such saying !!! I suppose today it would be called virtue signaling !!! Have you heard of that ? It has other applications as well !!!
That was 40 years ago when I first read it but some things stick with you !!!

Last edited by phma; 06-19-2020 at 09:46 PM..

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
My favorite fiction so far is Kindred and favorite nonfiction is "So you want to talk about Race"
Do you read books written by people you disagree with to see what it's all about?
...This would assume I automatically see someone black as "people {I} disagree with." That would be silly.

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
I have a very large personal library of black authors. If you're looking for good reading material try reading books written by Ivan Van Sertima, Na'im Akbar and W. E. B. Du Bois. Many to choose from..

Old 06-19-2020, 09:07 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
I read books for their content. I wasn’t aware we were supposed to check for the author’s race.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:12 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Probably I have. In fact, before Obama was elected I read his book, "Dreams from my Father" to see what he was about. I like to read a book by or about a candidate when I'm figuring out who to vote for.

Also, way back in high school, I read a book called, "Black Like Me." There was also another one called "Notes of a Native Son." In high school I think we probably had to choose from a reading list of black authors. One of those books was really interesting and I thoroughly enjoyed it and learned from it but I don't know which book of the two it was.

Probably I've read more books by black people. I know I've read books by Asian people, books about escaping from Communist China or books that took place in Japan. It's interesting to read and learn about other lifestyles or origins or whatever you want to call it. How about tv shows? It was the tv show "Roots" that got first got me thinking about genealogy--and it was about black people's roots. Doesn't matter, just gives you a different outlook sometimes.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:12 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I have no idea of the skin color, nor race of the various authors I read. WHY DO YOU?
^^^Well that didn't take long.

I'll go out on a limb and say you're probably being disingenuous. Author information, to include their pictures are often included with books. It seems you have a problem because the OP asked about black authors in particular..

I have books written by non-black authors in my library but damn straight I know which author in my library is black. I don't just go around reading books and not looking into the individual that wrote the book. If they're a good and credible author I'll buy multiple pieces of their published work... Know what you read better by knowing the source..

Old 06-19-2020, 09:13 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,871 times
I only read books written by little green women from Venus. Seriously, who cares what author looks like. If a book can get and keep my attention, great. This isnt as common as one might hope....

Old 06-19-2020, 09:17 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Earlier this year I read the Broken Earth trilogy by N. K. Jemisin. It's an excellent read; I recommend them for anybody who enjoys modern fantasy. (Yes, many of the characters are non-Caucasian.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post

I'm currently reading the Inheritance Trilogy by her. I plan to read Broken Earth next.
I’ve been looking for a new author lately, thank you both for the recommendation. Currently rereading S.M. Stirling’s Nantucket series, more alternate history than fantasy, that features one of my favorite characters of all time - a black lesbian ship captain/general. I therefore find the topic of this thread ridiculous, but I’ll take any opportunity to find and/or recommend decent fantasy novels.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:20 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
^^^Well that didn't take long.

I'll go out on a limb and say you're probably being disingenuous. Author information, to include their pictures are often included with books. It seems you have a problem because the OP asked about black authors in particular..

I have books written by non-black authors in my library but damn straight I know which author in my library is black. I don't just go around reading books and not looking into the individual that wrote the book. If they're a good and credible author I'll buy multiple pieces of their published work... Know what you read better by knowing the source..
What are you babbling about? You seriously make your reading decisions based on the race of the author? Really???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies