Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 11:06 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Hundreds of left-wing celebrity figures, including actress Gabrielle Union and Comedy Central late-night host Trevor Noah, signed onto a statement from the Black Artists for Freedom — “a collective of black workers in the culture industries” — demanding the abolition of police and “the complete dismantling of the racist prison-industrial system” as a means to end America’s “racist culture.”

“The fact is plain: Black people are still not free,” the statement, titled “Our Juneteenth” reads. “Day after day, generation upon generation, we are threatened, brutalized, and murdered by law enforcement and vigilantes. When we hear ‘I can’t breathe,’ we hear the voices of our children, parents, brothers, sisters, cousins. We hear our elders and ancestors. We hear ourselves, some future day.”

The statement — whose signatories read like a who’s who of actors, producers, directors, writers, and poets including Sterling K. Brown, Cynthia Erivo, Ava DuVernay, Dee Rees, Barry Jenkins, Nia DaCosta, Lena Waithe, Justin Simien, Roxane Gay, Lee Daniels, and hundreds more — contains a list of radical demands designed to address the “colonialism, capitalism and racism” that purportedly plagues the various culture industries.

“The representation of Black people in the media has long been used to justify the violence against us. Racist stereotypes of Black criminality, monstrosity, unchecked rage, hyper-sexuality, immunity to pain, and so on, are still recycled today in books, films, and on the Internet,” the statement continues. “Consciously and unconsciously, these stereotypes are invoked — in everyday interactions and in courts of law — as reasons why Black people do not deserve human rights. We do not wish merely to modify or alleviate this racist culture. We aim to eliminate it.”

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...ion-of-police/

Looking forward to the overtaking of Bel-Air, Beverly Hills and Malibu by the mobs just simply asking for respect. Oh, and Martha's Vineyard and The Hamptons for good measure. Barry would welcome them, I'm sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 11:11 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Who are they? D listers?

Old 06-20-2020, 12:33 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...ion-of-police/

Looking forward to the overtaking of Bel-Air, Beverly Hills and Malibu by the mobs just simply asking for respect. Oh, and Martha's Vineyard and The Hamptons for good measure. Barry would welcome them, I'm sure!

I told people years ago that the taxi industry is broken and this new company called Uber can put them out of business if the taxi companies didn't shape up. They were like, "That's silly, people will always need taxis."

Before that, I remember thinking the whole shopping experience is unpleasant, inefficient and time consuming. And sure enough we now have a whole new way to shop that offers more selection, better prices, and in the comfort of you own home.

For one of my thesis in college, I wrote about paper money becoming obsolete. That one day, we will not need to carry around cash or credit card; we can pay simply by scanning our fingerprint and choosing the method. You know what, we are almost there.

The police system as a whole has been broken long before taxis and retail. No one is saying we become lawless; but it is time to rethink how law can be better enforced.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:35 AM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Will their personal armed guards be relieved of their duties?

Old 06-20-2020, 02:19 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Trevor Noah is South African and probably has every reason to distrust the police given the history of the country.

The police are needed however the objective should be to build a better police force with better accountability and training should be the objective, as should de-escalation, and using lethal force as only a very last resort.

Neighbourhood or Community policing, where you have a neighbourhood team of officers who know a lot of the community and who work with the community including in areas such as community centres and activities to keep youngsters out of crime is the model that some countries strive for.

Community based officers can also have close links to social workers including mental health teams, and can develop a multi-agency approach.

Community Policing - Wikipedia

Neighbourhood policing team - Wikipedia

Neighbourhood policing guidelines - College of Policing

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-20-2020 at 02:29 AM..

Old 06-20-2020, 02:25 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Whoa whoa whoa, Defund doesn't mean abolish......

The Dems are sure going to be mad that these guys said the quiet part out loud.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:28 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I told people years ago that the taxi industry is broken and this new company called Uber can put them out of business if the taxi companies didn't shape up. They were like, "That's silly, people will always need taxis."

Before that, I remember thinking the whole shopping experience is unpleasant, inefficient and time consuming. And sure enough we now have a whole new way to shop that offers more selection, better prices, and in the comfort of you own home.

For one of my thesis in college, I wrote about paper money becoming obsolete. That one day, we will not need to carry around cash or credit card; we can pay simply by scanning our fingerprint and choosing the method. You know what, we are almost there.
Wow, you are the oracle of the bleeding obvious. Pray tell us your next revelation!

Old 06-20-2020, 02:32 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
If they mean fully armed civilians, with automatic machine pistols, trained in their use, sure, why not?
Anyone with an endowed right to life and the right to defend that life, should be armed and ready.
With an armed populace, all those thugs, gang bangers, and extortionists will be swiftly dispatched at the first sign of atavistic behavior... and so would organized crime.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:34 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

The police system as a whole has been broken long before taxis and retail. No one is saying we become lawless; but it is time to rethink how law can be better enforced.

Stop making sense. You're making my head explode!

Old 06-20-2020, 03:01 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
In terms of BLM it only seems to apply to black people killed by white people, and I wonder how many black people were killed by other blacks in Chicago and other US cities on the day George Floyd was killed.

The lack of a police force will just mean the loss of more black lives, and I think you will find that when the police aren't arpund organised crime takes over.

In terms of London for instance, WW2 was a golden age for organised crime, lots of blackouts, lack of police who had joined the armed forces and plenty of illicit goods to sell on the black market.

Gangs roamed the streets and the writer Anthony Burgess's wife was attacked and sexually assaulted, which was one of the themes in his later work 'A Clockwork Orange'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies