Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 03:26 PM

5,980 posts, read 2,234,421 times

Advertisements

If everything ended in 1865 then Sowell's point would be relevant. The US still required Civil Rights legislation in the 1960's for Black folk. His point does not address the issues within the US post-slavery.

His argument skips over 100+ years of US history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 03:47 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Which skin color can endure the sun longer in the working in the fields? The darker the skin, the higher the price. So you are right, it did have to do with skin color ...

African American Slave Owners in Kentucky

That easy huh?
I thought blacks can get sunburnt too. That is why when they travel close or near the Sahara, they cover up in scarfs. If you in the jungle, then the tree canopy will protect you, or some use dirt from the ground as a sun tan.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:07 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Even if a black person was not a slave; a freedman or even a freeman who was never a slave restrictions were still placed on him because of his color.
Same as now, there are illegal immigrants from Europe, they're not on ICE radar.

African's that caught a boat and migrated over, it seems I read they did have issues and they had to carry papers on 'em. And I'm sure there were times that didn't even work and a freedman would have to carry their papers on them, as well. I also wonder about the German, Irish etc, that sold themselves into slavery for the boat ride to the new world if they didn't at some point try to abandon their duties --- and escape.

The t.v. series Outlander caught my attention --- woman travels back in time from 1945, 200 years in Scotland; the story eventually makes it way to the u.s. ... I am amazed anyone of that era lived past the age of 25 without being murdered. a lot of meanness then, same as now.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:08 PM
bu2

24,087 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWrf...uC7HaV1Jyk1zNQ

Excerpt from Thomas Sowell's "Black Rednecks & White Liberals".
Dr. Thomas Sowell is probably one of the most brilliant minds alive in America. In a series of long essays, It presents eye-opening insights into the historical development of the ghetto culture that is today wrongly seen as a unique black identity--a culture cheered on toward self-destruction by white liberals who consider themselves "friends" of blacks. This essay titled "The Real History of Slavery"

Thomas Sowell is great. Listen to part of his book.
He was my favorite editorial writer before his recent retirement.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:08 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Which skin color can endure the sun longer in the working in the fields? The darker the skin, the higher the price. So you are right, it did have to do with skin color ...

African American Slave Owners in Kentucky

That easy huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I thought blacks can get sunburnt too. That is why when they travel close or near the Sahara, they cover up in scarfs. If you in the jungle, then the tree canopy will protect you, or some use dirt from the ground as a sun tan.
That could be, but all I know is what was written about the reasoning behind having darker skinned labors working the fields ...

Old 07-03-2020, 07:17 PM
bu2

24,087 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
That could be, but all I know is what was written about the reasoning behind having darker skinned labors working the fields ...
Malaria was the reason. Africans were much more resistant to its effects as it was endemic to Africa. Early ships brought malaria bearing mosquitos to the southern US and Northern Europeans had a hard time in the swampy coastal areas and river bottoms with the most fertile soil.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
If everything ended in 1865 then Sowell's point would be relevant. The US still required Civil Rights legislation in the 1960's for Black folk. His point does not address the issues within the US post-slavery.

His argument skips over 100+ years of US history.
You’re just getting an excerpt. If you read the book he goes into depth about how much urban black culture is influenced by Southern whites. It’s an interesting hypothesis which has some flaws but also truths.

It’s not one of his better books.

Race and Culture is one of his best books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies