Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2020, 10:32 AM

1,107 posts, read 552,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
A direct quote from Dr. King.

"Certain conditions continue to exist in our society, which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation’s summers of riots are caused by our nation’s winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention”
He was talking about what was happening, not condoning it. This is what he believed and lived, and why he is so beloved and respected by people of all races:

“Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. I am not unmindful of the fact that violence often brings about momentary results. Nations have frequently won their independence in battle. But in spite of temporary victories, violence never brings permanent peace.”

“World peace through nonviolent means is neither absurd nor unattainable. All other methods have failed. Thus we must begin anew. Nonviolence is a good starting point. Those of us who believe in this method can be voices of reason, sanity, and understanding amid the voices of violence, hatred, and emotion. We can very well set a mood of peace out of which a system of peace can be built.”

“Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 10:33 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Well, we tried kneeling and that upset everyone.

We tried marching and that upset everyone.

Violence is the only thing that seems to get anyone’s attention in America. Maybe it’s because that’s what this country was founded on?
Sadly, I think your right. As much as I don't approve of the rioting, that seems to be the only thing that's getting anyone talking. Violence was how this country was founded. It worked. In the case of police brutality, rioting has not worked. Riots in Miami and Tampa during the 1980s, riots in Los Angeles, St. Petersburg, Las Vegas during the 1990s, riots in Minneapolis in 2002 (a lot of people don't know this isn't Mpls' first riot). Rioting will get people's attention temporarily, but it hasn't proven any long term solutions as of lately. The only message it's sending is "don't set up businesses in that neighborhood" or " see, those Blacks are savages".

I think many people just want Blacks to just shut up and take it peacefully. This is why I think Colin Kaepernick caught so much mess. I feel like some people are going to complain no matter what. When Blacks were peaceful about protesting police brutality, complaints all around. Now, the riots are nothing new. They have been happening literally every single decade since the 1960s. So far it isn't working. It's getting people's attention, but it's getting only bad attention and the end results involve more harm than good. It leaves one to wonder what's next.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Because you have no legitimate cause. All you have is a false and racist and anti-police narrative.
Says you. You are also the very person who claims Blacks should vote Republican and let people fly Confederate flags. You say a lot of things that point to "Blacks should bend over backwards for everyone else".

Old 06-21-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
He was talking about what was happening, not condoning it. This is what he believed and lived, and why he is so beloved and respected by people of all races:

“Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. I am not unmindful of the fact that violence often brings about momentary results. Nations have frequently won their independence in battle. But in spite of temporary victories, violence never brings permanent peace.”

“World peace through nonviolent means is neither absurd nor unattainable. All other methods have failed. Thus we must begin anew. Nonviolence is a good starting point. Those of us who believe in this method can be voices of reason, sanity, and understanding amid the voices of violence, hatred, and emotion. We can very well set a mood of peace out of which a system of peace can be built.”

“Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction.”
I never said he condoned it. I was saying that even Dr. King acknowledged, that as much as riots aren't to be condoned, he understood why it happened. And I want to bring something else up. Many people want to view Dr. King through the lens of only being meek and mild. Basically, people are giving only a sanitized account of Dr. King.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I'm not going to try to convince you that Republicans or Trump is in black's interest over Biden although I believe that to be true. I believe it is in the interest of all Americans whether black or white or whatever. I don't vote Republicans because I think they are in my interests or white people's interest per se. They are not, but I believe they are better in the country's interest. What I'm telling you is many people who resent blacks resent them for things they actually do as a group. If the group won't change, then they should just accept it.
Well, this is the thing. I've learned that just because something is in the best interest of "the country" doesn't mean it's in my best interest. I've learned that my neighbor will look out for himself and his family, and his vote will reflect that. I must look out for myself. If nothing else, I need to make sure I'm protected. And something. I think Blacks are the aggrieved party in this case. Blacks didn't choose to come here, they were dragged here as slaves, and then subjected to Jim Crow. Blacks have dealt with human rights abuses for ages. We had to fight to be considered human, then fight to be considered full citizens. Why should I bend over backwards for the approval of society? I'm already doing my part by being a productive, law-abiding citizen. What more can you ask of me?

Old 06-21-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I doubt you have any idea what would make Obama proud. When your core values differ so greatly from everyone fighting for civil rights it's hard to understand, let alone do or say the right things..
Just based on said person's username, I don't think said person cares what would make Obama proud or not.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You know how a baby has a temper tantrum when it doesn’t get what it wants. Same concept for BLM right now. The worst part is ignorant people calling it a “revolution.”

Blacks around the world are laughing their butt off as us whiny spoiled Black Americans in the richest country on earth.

Education is and will always be the key to success, see Asian Americans. You can’t loot, march, pray, riot, legislate, arson, or whine an entire demographic up the social ladder. If you’re poor today then you’re going to be poor tomorrow until you do someone the world wants done.
Blacks around the world? Again, you need to quit bringing up Black people from abroad and other groups form abroad. As a Black person, in the context of THIS PARTICULAR SITUATION, I don't concern myself with what goes on in the rest of the planet. What matters most is what affects me right here in America. What I am dealing with is how I measure up relative to the White majority. That matters more than anything. You openly criticizing the entire Black population isn't going to make people do any different.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:49 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Well, we tried kneeling and that upset everyone.

We tried marching and that upset everyone.

Violence is the only thing that seems to get anyone’s attention in America. Maybe it’s because that’s what this country was founded on?

Kind of odd for white people on CD to ask if violence is the only way.
White people on CD all fit in one convenient niche aye? Have you ever read Shakespeare. King Lear? Perhaps Milton? Paradise Lost? Quotes from those two works come to mind reading your post. Respectively "Reason, not need" and "Far better to rule in Hell than serve in Heaven."

(sigh) Since theres no need for violence of the type going in but folks are sure finding an excuse, or reason, that fits. I'm not saying that we live in Heaven but it was sure a damn sight better without all this carnage it seems to me that being the ones in charge of the flames makes a lot of folks happier than watching their own people in charge of prosperity. And so it is.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:55 AM

10,747 posts, read 4,342,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I doubt you have any idea what would make Obama proud. When your core values differ so greatly from everyone fighting for civil rights it's hard to understand, let alone do or say the right things..
So Obama was lying when he repeatedly told his supporters “When they go low, we go high”....
It was literally his #1 phrase, and it was a lie, if we are to assume Obama is now proud of violence....

Old 06-21-2020, 10:58 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This has been said before, but historically, REAL change, especially regime changes, come ONLY from brutal violence and fighting, it may not be a pretty thing to admit, but it is what it is.
This largely is what I was getting at. Violence works better than diplomacy. Edward Bulwer-Lytton and later Mark Twain got it all wrong when he said the pen is mightier than the sword. Normally the messages written by pen are crumpled up and discarded into the circular file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies