Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2020, 04:33 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I have seen this thru out my life.I have discussed this with my wife.I could give many examples but know the trouble that would follow.
Nice eaxample my neighbor many years ago,a jew,said to us in conversation how when she lived in New York during hard times you might find coal,loaf of bread etc at your door in the morning.The meanining of taking care of each other.This in CT.Her son had a PHD and excelled in life.
We were newly married and new to the area,she shared with us.
This is the thing. We live in a society where it's every man for himself. People will kill other people if they think it will prolong their own lives. Some people will kill their own family members over money. Some people don't care if they live or die, so they don't care about anyone else. In order for people to actually care for each other, it requires getting rid of the "get mine and forget everyone else" mentality. It's pervasive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 04:56 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
I think that some of it is pain and perhaps being very sensitive given past injustices. I don't think it's right for this to happen, but it's just my observation. I have seen many situations over the years when blacks have been asked to quiet down (on a train, bus, movie theater, etc.) by a white person and they take great offense to the point of getting in the person's face. This isn't all blacks. Professional blacks do not usually seem to resort to violence. Also, I have noticed that Africans don't usually act this way either. I have seen it with more teenage/non-professional African Americans. They tend to get very aggressive if they are reprimanded or if there is a disagreement/misunderstanding. *Not all in this demographic do, but in my experience I have witnessed it happen more than a few times.

Old 08-15-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I think that some of it is pain and perhaps being very sensitive given past injustices. I don't think it's right for this to happen, but it's just my observation. I have seen many situations over the years when blacks have been asked to quiet down (on a train, bus, movie theater, etc.) by a white person and they take great offense to the point of getting in the person's face. This isn't all blacks. Professional blacks do not usually seem to resort to violence. Also, I have noticed that Africans don't usually act this way either. I have seen it with more teenage/non-professional African Americans. They tend to get very aggressive if they are reprimanded or if there is a disagreement/misunderstanding. *Not all in this demographic do, but in my experience I have witnessed it happen more than a few times.
This is how I see past injustices. People don't forget and the anger lasts. Alot of anger and distrust sticks around. However, I think with individuals who are within the poorest and those at the lowest socioeconomic levels, some people feel they have nothing to lose by being violent.

I notice you live in Chicago. I'm wondering about what factors shape the kind of culture that has developed there, where being loud on buses takes place. Living in the Atlanta area, I've seen some aggressive behavior, and even some violent behavior. However, I've been on buses and trains, and rarely have I see Black people (even poor Black people) get loud on the buses, trains, or movie theatres. Actually, I've never seen anyone of any race get loud in a movie theatre. It probably happens, but I've rarely ever seen it. Most of the loud behavior I've ever seen from people, Black or White, often involves alcohol or really bad driving.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:02 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is how I see past injustices. People don't forget and the anger lasts. Alot of anger and distrust sticks around. However, I think with individuals who are within the poorest and those at the lowest socioeconomic levels, some people feel they have nothing to lose by being violent.

I notice you live in Chicago. I'm wondering about what factors shape the kind of culture that has developed there, where being loud on buses takes place. Living in the Atlanta area, I've seen some aggressive behavior, and even some violent behavior. However, I've been on buses and trains, and rarely have I see Black people (even poor Black people) get loud on the buses, trains, or movie theatres. Actually, I've never seen anyone of any race get loud in a movie theatre. It probably happens, but I've rarely ever seen it. Most of the loud behavior I've ever seen from people, Black or White, often involves alcohol or really bad driving.

Since you ask specifically about Chicago, it's interesting, and Chicago points to the perfect example that it is more than socioeconomic levels. There are roughly equal numbers of Hispanics and Blacks in Chicago (about 30% each) and they both live in similar socioeconomic neighborhoods, yet almost 80% of violent crimes involve Blacks. The neighborhood of Lawndale is the perfect example. Same neighborhood (working class/ poorer). North Lawndale is 90% Black, South Lawndale is 90% Hispanic. Guess which part of the neighborhood the vast majority of crime takes place in and is way more dangerous......North Lawndale, which is 90% Black.

So at least in Chicago, socioeconomic levels don't fully explain it. My thoughts are that family structure plays a huge role of what I see in Chicago. Pre-pandemic when I took the train to work, I would very rarely see Latino teens unsupervised on the trains. Many time there may even be a grandmother with them or some other adult presence. If there were unsupervised teens, it would usually be smaller groups. I would see large numbers of unsupervised Black teens all the time, and many times they were loud and obnoxious (cursing, using the N word, blasting music, etc.).

So it's just my guess that at least in Chicago, culture and family structure play a big role in what goes on rather than just purely socioeconomic status.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:13 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It is purposeful violence by the Left to destabilize the country prior to the election to affect its outcome. That's all. It MAY even escalate once Trump wins re-election. Then it will get real if it does continue.
Actually, it's deeper than that. They don't want to just destabilize the country prior to the election, they want to rewrite America, destroy everything we stand for, make their own rules and with Soros help and his money, they intend to do just that.

Think of a country with no freedom, no rights, and I say No THANK YOU. I was born in America, this is my country and I will do everything I can to keep it a beautiful place to live.... I think it's horrible what the hate groups are doing to our country. (with the Democratic leaders fully supporting the rioters and BLM) We must be ready and we must fight, because in the end, the rioters are going keep destroying no matter WHO wins and their threats to destroy if Trump wins, is the reason we need to be ready!

Old 08-15-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Since you ask specifically about Chicago, it's interesting, and Chicago points to the perfect example that it is more than socioeconomic levels. There are roughly equal numbers of Hispanics and Blacks in Chicago (about 30% each) and they both live in similar socioeconomic neighborhoods, yet almost 80% of violent crimes involve Blacks. The neighborhood of Lawndale is the perfect example. Same neighborhood (working class/ poorer). North Lawndale is 90% Black, South Lawndale is 90% Hispanic. Guess which part of the neighborhood the vast majority of crime takes place in and is way more dangerous......North Lawndale, which is 90% Black.

So at least in Chicago, socioeconomic levels don't fully explain it. My thoughts are that family structure plays a huge role of what I see in Chicago. Pre-pandemic when I took the train to work, I would very rarely see Latino teens unsupervised on the trains. Many time there may even be a grandmother with them or some other adult presence. If there were unsupervised teens, it would usually be smaller groups. I would see large numbers of unsupervised Black teens all the time, and many times they were loud and obnoxious (cursing, using the N word, blasting music, etc.).

So it's just my guess that at least in Chicago, culture and family structure play a big role in what goes on rather than just purely socioeconomic status.
North Lawndale has been a rough neighborhoods as far back to the 1950s. It was crazy in those days. If you were to take, for instance, Olympia Fields, an upper class Black neighborhoods, there are far less crime there. One reason socioeconomic factors are something I look at. I was talking specifically about aggressive, loud behavior, not the crime though.

I took the train to work in the Atlanta area ( before moving away, I got a better paying job elsewhere). I only saw Black teens unsupervised acting a fool on the train ONCE. And it was Labor Day, kids got the day of school. Outside of that, raucous behavior on trains was rare for me to see (and per capita, Atlanta has a larger Black population than Chicago). There's plenty of bad family structure in the ghettos. I got to see it up close when an office I worked at was located in a bad neighborhood.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:43 PM

828 posts, read 416,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't even live in the same neighborhood with the rioters and criminals. All I have to do is obey the law and be a productive citizens. I don't owe you anything more than that.
So dont care about community problems, unless it effects you directly. And still get entitlements and privileges with affirmative action.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Actually, it's deeper than that. They don't want to just destabilize the country prior to the election, they want to rewrite America, destroy everything we stand for, make their own rules and with Soros help and his money, they intend to do just that.

Think of a country with no freedom, no rights, and I say No THANK YOU. I was born in America, this is my country and I will do everything I can to keep it a beautiful place to live.... I think it's horrible what the hate groups are doing to our country. (with the Democratic leaders fully supporting the rioters and BLM) We must be ready and we must fight, because in the end, the rioters are going keep destroying no matter WHO wins and their threats to destroy if Trump wins, is the reason we need to be ready!
First off, what history are you talking about in particular, that you claim the left wants to re-write? Second, I was born in a free country, in the 1980s. However, I don't see this country the same way you do. I look at it from the perspective of what it would have been had I been born in the 1940s or 1950s. This country was not a free country for everyone. It would not have been a free country for Black people up to the 1960s.

Third, this country has gone to the brink before, the Civil War. This country has been having riots going all the way back to the beginning. Violence has long been a major part of America's history.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19605 View Post
So dont care about community problems, unless it effects you directly. And still get entitlements and privileges with affirmative action.
Do you live there? Do any of those problems affect you personally? If they don't, then why do you feel the need to make me, a Black person who doesn't live in ghetto, nor do I engage in violence, feel like I need to take responsibility for those who riot?

Old 08-15-2020, 06:46 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
Is violence the only way for Black people to make a point now?

Earning your rubles today, I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies