Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you know what Juneteeenth was prior to this year?
Yes 159 51.62%
No 149 48.38%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 08:22 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Juneteenth is historically a Texas thing. People don’t walk around wishing each other a Happy Juneteenth, as I witnessed all over social media on Friday. Black families gather, barbecue, things like that. It’s pretty low-key. A white person wishing a black person a “happy Juneteenth” is literally the equivalent of saying “I’m so glad y’all aren’t slaves anymore!” A bit tone-deaf.

The day belongs to black Americans. White people need to stay out of this one.
I am of the opinion that your take is the tone deaf one.

Everybody should celebrate the anniversary of emancipation from slavery. Everybody.

Set aside celebrations just for certain races is that backwards crap the left is so fond of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 08:22 AM

7,906 posts, read 3,450,203 times
I had never heard of it until a few days ago but I fully support having a holiday that celebrates the freeing of the slaves. I won't be shamed for not knowing about the holiday before now though. Most of the folks on social media virtue signaling about this probably didn't know about it until now either.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:25 AM

I first heard of Juneteenth being a holiday for celebration in the mid 2000's when violence at some of the larger gatherings happened.

https://www.npr.org/sections/newsand...iolence_1.html

Old 06-21-2020, 08:27 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
I am of the opinion that your take is the tone deaf one.

Everybody should celebrate the anniversary of emancipation from slavery. Everybody.

Set aside celebrations just for certain races is that backwards crap the left is so fond of.
But Juneteenth isn’t the anniversary of Emancipation. It’s the anniversary of Texas slaves finding out they were free ... almost THREE YEARS after the Emancipation Proclamation.

It is NOT something that white people should cheer about. It’s a shameful stain on our history.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:31 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I can't help but feel that "holidays" like this actually do more to divide us than unite.

I'm not a slave I don't know anyone that has ever been a slave but what we all are is Americans.

What is next? a holiday for transgendered non binary straight but crooked "theys" ?

Oh well if it makes people happy BUT does anyone think it is odd that so many are willing to erase our History until that history is something they approve of and then it is celebrated?

Old 06-21-2020, 08:46 AM

I believe that 9/22, the actual date of the Emancipation Proclamation ought to be a national holiday.

Juneteenth however is much more of a regional celebration, as it revolves around Texas slaves.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I believe that 9/22, the actual date of the Emancipation Proclamation ought to be a national holiday.
I agree. I would certainly support that. It's a shame it isn't yet.

Quote:
Juneteenth however is much more of a regional celebration, as it revolves around Texas slaves.
OK. I guess I dont care what positive things that others choose to celebrate. I wont judge them if people from Minnesota celebrate a more Texas thing. I always thought "Juneteenth" was a dopey name though.

There are certainly regional things celebrated all over the U.S.

We are a big country.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
I agree. I would certainly support that. It's a shame it isn't yet.

OK. I guess I dont care what positive things that others choose to celebrate. I wont judge them if people from Minnesota celebrate a more Texas thing. I always thought "Juneteenth" was a dopey name though.

There are certainly regional things celebrated all over the U.S.

We are a big country.
I’m not judging people outside of Texas for celebrating Juneteenth; but I do take a bit of humorous exception to white people suddenly wishing blacks “Happy Juneteenth!” this year, without fully considering the optics a bit more. It’s like a German wishing a Jew “happy liberation from Auschwitz day! Sometimes silence actually is preferable to saying silly things.

The reason for the name “Juneteenth” is that the specific date has been lost over time. They came up a rather clever “date” instead.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:26 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
I'd heard of Juneteenth some number of years ago. I knew that it had something to do with slavery, but otherwise I had no idea what it was about. I'm always up for learning more historical facts, so I guess that's one positive thing that has come out of all the recent goings-on.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:38 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
Yep, since the 80s. I was born in Houston and lived in Austin from 1984-2016.

However, it was not mentioned once during my K-12 schooling (1970-1983).

I went to public elementary school in Houston, and when my family moved to Victoria (Texas--south of Houston), I attended Catholic junior high and high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies