Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you know what Juneteeenth was prior to this year?
Yes 159 51.62%
No 149 48.38%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 12:07 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I can't help but feel that "holidays" like this actually do more to divide us than unite.

I'm not a slave I don't know anyone that has ever been a slave but what we all are is Americans.

What is next? a holiday for transgendered non binary straight but crooked "theys" ?

Oh well if it makes people happy BUT does anyone think it is odd that so many are willing to erase our History until that history is something they approve of and then it is celebrated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Maybe I should just stop celebrating Passover because I'm not a slave and don't know anyone that has been a slave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
So you're comparing a religious holiday to a local Texas holiday about when word of the end of the Civil war reached Galveston?
Quote:
Passover is all about our freedom from the Egyptians. There are many parallels between Passover and Juneteenth. If one is unnecessary or childish (both terms used in this thread), why not the other?

It would be strange to me to try to understand why people are discounting a holiday celebrating the true ending of slavery in the United States, but c'mon - we all know why people are minimizing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Again, you are comparing something considered a sacred religious holiday to celebrating the day that people in Galveston, Texas heard that the Civil war was over.

I'm not saying Juneteenth is unnecessary or childish, it was a holiday I grew up with, it's just that it is a minor holiday.....it always has been. People are pretending otherwise right now but that doesn't change history.

Try to earn "woke" points elsewhere.
Bobby,

Your interpretation of the meaning of Juneteenth, "celebrating the day that people in Galveston heard that the Civil War was over" is missing the point, and thus completely diminishes its significance to the 250,000 enslaved people of Texas who were robbed of their freedom. Texceptionalism at its finest.

People are not pretending that Juneteenth is a major holiday. They are acknowledging its significance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 12:47 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I have to admit I never heard of the day until the news started reporting about Trumps rally scheduled on the same day.
I live in Cincinnati and known about it for decades. There's been organized and unorganized festivals every year since I was a a kid. I played at one of them. For a few years there some big name groups played, but most years it was has-been groups or local bands.

It's different now. Now you have to pay $1 Million just to get someone to show up for 5 minutes, but back in the day, most bands would jump at a chance to play.

Midnight Star played a couple of years. I played with Roger and Larry Troutman at one, or it might have been the Montgomery County Fair. I don't think they were officially "Zapp" yet.

A lot of other cities had Juneteenth festivals. Dayton always did.

Old 06-21-2020, 02:47 PM

13,258 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I live in Cincinnati and known about it for decades. There's been organized and unorganized festivals every year since I was a a kid. I played at one of them. For a few years there some big name groups played, but most years it was has-been groups or local bands.

It's different now. Now you have to pay $1 Million just to get someone to show up for 5 minutes, but back in the day, most bands would jump at a chance to play.

Midnight Star played a couple of years. I played with Roger and Larry Troutman at one, or it might have been the Montgomery County Fair. I don't think they were officially "Zapp" yet.

A lot of other cities had Juneteenth festivals. Dayton always did.
Where I grew up hardly any African Americans lived in Orange County, California. We have a large Hispanic population. Cinco de Mayo was a big holiday for Hispanics in the area where I grew up even then the schools I went to was almost 100% white. In the 1970's Southern California near the beach cities were considered middle class nothing like today ultra wealthy mostly replaced where I grew up.

Old 06-21-2020, 03:07 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Where I grew up hardly any African Americans lived in Orange County, California. We have a large Hispanic population. Cinco de Mayo was a big holiday for Hispanics in the area where I grew up even then the schools I went to was almost 100% white. In the 1970's Southern California near the beach cities were considered middle class nothing like today ultra wealthy mostly replaced where I grew up.
It's my understanding that Cinco de Mayo is a holiday of very little significance to Mexicans--not sure to which Hispanics you are referring.

Old 06-21-2020, 03:10 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
I have to admit I never heard of the day until the news started reporting about Trumps rally scheduled on the same day. I don't remember this being taught in schools I went to school in Southern California 1974-1987.

"June 19, 1865, Gen. Gordon Granger arrived with Union soldiers in Galveston, Texas, and announced to enslaved Africans Americans that the Civil War had ended and they were free — more than two years after President Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation."

Quoted from this link https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...9?icid=related
Relying on public schools for your information isn't very wise.

I read about it in my high school years. Not in a government book mind you, I had to seek out the info on my own.

It's called personal responsibility.

Old 06-21-2020, 03:16 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
I grew up in DC and have always been exposed to African-American culture. I vaguely knew of Juneteenth and noticed small celebrations over the years. But it was never particularly noteworthy and there was never much passion behind it.

For the record, it is certainly something worth celebrating and I do not mind greater emphasis on it. However, this current euphoria over it strikes me as a bit contrived.

Old 06-21-2020, 03:58 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Maybe I should just stop celebrating Passover because I'm not a slave and don't know anyone that has been a slave.
Passover is a religious holiday, like Christmas or Easter. Juneteenth is something else.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:51 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I grew up in DC and have always been exposed to African-American culture. I vaguely knew of Juneteenth and noticed small celebrations over the years. But it was never particularly noteworthy and there was never much passion behind it.

For the record, it is certainly something worth celebrating and I do not mind greater emphasis on it. However, this current euphoria over it strikes me as a bit contrived.
It’s a very strong black tradition in the Texas/Louisiana/Oklahoma etc area. Black people in other parts of the country tend not to make as big a deal of it unless their family is from that area of the south.

That said any city with a sizable black population typically has some kind of outdoor picnic type Juneteenth event, even if it’s not as big as in Texas. DC tends to have tons of black families whose relatives migrated from the Carolinas, Viirginia, Georgia and the like so it was likely not a big enough deal there for you to be hyper aware of it.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
It's my understanding that Cinco de Mayo is a holiday of very little significance to Mexicans--not sure to which Hispanics you are referring.
How many Mexican immigrants live in Milwaukee? We have about 1.2 million living in Maricopa County It's a big holiday here.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:03 PM

1,485 posts, read 954,617 times
Never heard of it before the dems started in on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies