Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 08:04 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I don’t know that threatened is the right word, more like very, very leery. My husband, a polite, well spoken, cooperative professional, who was an Army Officer at the time, has twice been placed in handcuffs during his seven “traffic stops”, including one that didn’t even pretend to be anything but what it was because it started with “where did you get this car?” He made sure he kept his hands visible at all times, did not reach for anything, only responded with oodles of “sirs”, and was sent on his way without even a ticket eventually but still, it was a frightening and humiliating experience. There was absolutely no reason for my well dressed, well mannered, well spoken husband, who was a captain in the Army at the time, to have been made to lay on the gravel face down, handcuffed, and then sat against his car while some dolt called in his driver’s license and registration. My big, burly husband came home and cried like a baby in my arms that night. He did file an official complaint with CHP the next day, and the guy got written up, but that event etched itself forever in his psyche. He lived to see another day but it had the potential to have gone down much differently.

I know lots of people like to pretend this kind of crap doesn’t happen but it does. Unless you have had your face pushed in the gravel for working hard and saving enough to get a nice car that someone with a badge thought no one who looked like you was entitled to have, you have no clue.
Why was he removed from the vehicle and detained at all? Twice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 08:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Probably because he's black. This stuff does happen.

Last edited by MPowering1; 06-21-2020 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Edited because I'm pretty sure he's still black!

Old 06-21-2020, 08:09 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
I'm leery, annoyed, either when stopped or see a squad car behind me. When stopped, I'm careful to not make any sudden movements and wait until he or she asks me for my license and insurance/registration. I never reach for the glove department, nor anything relevant to them would be there anyway. By the end of it, he or she gives me a ticket or left me off the hook with a warning- I've been getting the latter in the last couple of times I was stopped. Fortunately, I don't have those experiences when I'm stopped too often, maybe twice or three times a year. I try to limit my interactions with the police in these situations, and when it happens I conduct myself in a way that I feel wouldn't give them a reason to go beyond basic traffic stop procedures. So far, that has worked out for me, after 14 years of driving since age 16 and never been told as so much to get out of my car. I have a life to live, goals I want to someday obtain and places I want to travel. If I felt wronged, I wait it out at the court date.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:10 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Taking down a blue lives matter flag is one thing, but putting up a black lives matter yard sign when you don’t even support them, so that your house won’t be targeted is a whole ‘nother level of paranoia.
It is; they said they figured it only takes one idiot happening by, and it cost nothing, if the stupid sign helps, to make that idiot skip their house for rock throwing or worse. I concur.

Blame the lunatics who are so stupid they're taking down statues of GENERAL GRANT who was on the UNION side. That's how out of control this thing is getting.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:16 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Remember, this is all of the radical left and the media that gets off of this division. It's not you, it's not Black people. Most people in general all get along just fine.
I agree, I think the recial divide being promoted these days is part of some larger plan, a power grab for who? I dunno that part but someone/some group shall benefit from setting folks against each other.

The normal citizen black people aren't about this crap, I wouldn't think; it's the lowlife blacks and whites who have nothing, don't wish to work, like to wreck other people's stuff because envy, and who suffer from much anger and poor impulse control. That they burn and loot is all the proof I need of this; had they restricted their madness to GOVERNMENT buildings only I'd think they actually cared about their cause. The arson and looting of small businesses is just for their own gain/for fun.`

Old 06-22-2020, 08:41 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
I agree, I think the recial divide being promoted these days is part of some larger plan, a power grab for who? I dunno that part but someone/some group shall benefit from setting folks against each other.

The normal citizen black people aren't about this crap, I wouldn't think; it's the lowlife blacks and whites who have nothing, don't wish to work, like to wreck other people's stuff because envy, and who suffer from much anger and poor impulse control. That they burn and loot is all the proof I need of this; had they restricted their madness to GOVERNMENT buildings only I'd think they actually cared about their cause. The arson and looting of small businesses is just for their own gain/for fun.`
A power grab for the Democrats. They're the ones who fund BLM and the money donated to BLM goes to them. I'm not making this up - the people who support BLM are all liberals/Democrats. Go to the donate page on BLM's website and you'll see the money goes to Actblue. Go to opensecrets.org and look up act blue and hundreds of millions of dollars they collect goes to Democrats.

They caused unrest in 2016 and they're orchestrating it again. That's why Democrat Governors and Mayors are doing nothing to stop the unrest.

Soros said in January the US election this year will determine the fate of the world. They aren't going to ease up until November and you can expect things to get a lot worse in the meantime.

Average citizens aren't doing this and don't want this. We need to blame the right people and not make this a racial issue.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:03 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
A power grab for the Democrats. They're the ones who fund BLM and the money donated to BLM goes to them. I'm not making this up - the people who support BLM are all liberals/Democrats. Go to the donate page on BLM's website and you'll see the money goes to Actblue. Go to opensecrets.org and look up act blue and hundreds of millions of dollars they collect goes to Democrats.

They caused unrest in 2016 and they're orchestrating it again. That's why Democrat Governors and Mayors are doing nothing to stop the unrest.

Soros said in January the US election this year will determine the fate of the world. They aren't going to ease up until November and you can expect things to get a lot worse in the meantime.

Average citizens aren't doing this and don't want this. We need to blame the right people and not make this a racial issue.
The challenge is that the Democrats ARE trying to make it a racial issue, and hence that’s why they are hiding behind a movement purported to care about black lives. (If BLM truly cared, they would focus their efforts - at least direct some of their efforts - to calling out and condemning the black-on-black murders that is the true danger to black lives.) So if Dems advance a false narrative about rampant murder by cops against blacks, cloaked behind the BLM movement in an effort to raise funds and win the election, how can sane people fight back against it WITHOUT pointing out the racial lie behind it? IOW, the BLM has made it all about race, so normal people have to respond to the falsehoods behind it, and that requires bringing up race.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:26 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Doesn't everybody feel a little threatened when they are stopped by the police? I suppose it's a matter of degree.
Of course it is. I felt more threatened by the police when I was a teenager or in my 20s; cops don't usually harass white women in their 60s.

The real issue is why police stop black people - especially black men, and especially young black men - and escalate the situation for minor issues such as burned out tail lights?

https://www.aclu.org/report/driving-...tions-highways

Old 06-22-2020, 09:35 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Aaaand, this is what you and so many are not getting. There was no reason, that’s the whole point. The real reason was for driving while black. They thought he stole his own car, then lied and said one like it had been reported stolen, which was proven never happened after my husband filed the complaint and people had to sign their names to official reports. The other time he was handcuffed he was told he was driving suspiciously because he was going a couple of miles under the speed limit and they claimed it was standard procedure to handcuff drivers while calling in their license and registration. These incidents both happened in California while we were stationed out there. Just FYI, he has never been pulled over in Kentucky, or the other supposed backwards states of North Carolina, Alabama, or Georgia where we lived. Nope, the worst was good old liberal California, hands down.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:39 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Lindsey Graham starting to worry about losing his senate seat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epA2lktniZg
I feel pretty threatened when being stopped by police. Typically what's going through my mind is, what did I do to deserve this? Oh, I'm mostly of white heritage. I also feel that if I'm carrying my gun, it's always going to be a hot point with the cops, especially if you're not upfront about your concealed carry permit or where the gun is located, etc.

The best way to avoid feeling threatened by cops is to not break laws. This will limit your exposure to most stops. Most of my "black" friends and neighbors don't ever have run ins with cops. They are just hard working family men and living a fulfilling life in Suburbia. I live in SC which Lindsey Graham should be fairly familiar with.

Last time I was pulled over, the cop must have been having a really bad day. He pulled me for running a red light, although it was clearly green (not yellow) and he was rude and obnoxious the entire time. He was yelling and cussing and argumentative. I asked him to calm down and if he didn't I would request his supervisor to come handle our traffic stop. He told me to hold the f**k on and he went back to his car with my ID for like 5 minutes. After that he came back, handed me my license and told me to get the f**k out of his city.

It was real pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies