Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 12:17 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,785 times

Advertisements

OP, I think what you should do is learn more about the group you are trying to help.

A good way to get a real good feel for what's at their core would be to go to one of their neighborhoods with a Trump 2020 sign and just stand there, saying nothing.

I believe they will educate you on their true nature in short order.

After that, you should go to a pro Trump area with a Biden 2020 sign and again say nothing.

Report back to us how each event played out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 12:37 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
OP, I think what you should do is learn more about the group you are trying to help.

A good way to get a real good feel for what's at their core would be to go to one of their neighborhoods with a Trump 2020 sign and just stand there, saying nothing.

I believe they will educate you on their true nature in short order.

After that, you should go to a pro Trump area with a Biden 2020 sign and again say nothing.

Report back to us how each event played out.
The final Jeopardy question, Alex, is "What is the difference between having passersby roll their eyes at you and having passersby beat you to a bloody pulp?"

Old 06-21-2020, 12:56 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Really though, why do you care? Don’t you have something else to do? It’s not as if anything will ever come of your effort anyway.
Many posts this poster writes is nothing but complaining how drug laws are racist.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:59 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to organize a good protest?

Don't waste your time, get a job!

Old 06-21-2020, 12:59 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Many posts this poster writes is nothing but complaining how drug laws are racist.
I have noticed that too. I assume he wants all drugs legalized.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:11 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I emailed the local 'BLM chapter' in Cincinnati earlier in the week, Im going to focus on the racist origins of drug laws, since there is not really an effective way to protest 'illegal/street drug laws', I want to protest the legal, Opioid prescription drug laws.

Cincinnati BLM actually told me this was a great idea, the person replying to me, (initially), had never heard of the racist origins of these laws! Although Im not surprised by that, 95% of the people I talk to about this, cannot believe its true, they end up shaking their heads in disgust after reading about it.

I made a bunch of copies of the literature I received at the protest weeks ago and have set out stacks of them on the counter at all of my stores, Ive been getting some positive response, quite a few negative responses too (but I guess that is to be expected).

What I was thinking about this protest, was to have it in the parking lot of a pharmacy, I think that would be the most effective spot to reach as many people as possible, and I really think raising awareness of this is the most important thing right now, there are just too many people who know NOTHING about the racist origins of these laws.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to organize a good protest?
If your goal is to raise awareness of this issue, have you thought about creating a blog site or a YouTube channel? The internet is a powerful tool to disseminate information, otherwise setting up a stand to pass out literature would be good. I don’t think this subject sounds ideal for a protest, the information you are trying to get out there would get lost in the fray. With the current protests we have the major overarching concerns and then people affiliated disseminate information on the internet when delving into details and specifics.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
BLM has little to do with Black Lives mattering.

First of all, the money goes to white Democrats.

Secondly, the three founders are lesbian women who state their commitment on the BLM website:

Quote:
We are self-reflexive and do the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege and uplift Black trans folk, especially Black trans women who continue to be disproportionately impacted by trans-antagonistic violence.

We build a space that affirms Black women and is free from sexism, misogyny, and environments in which men are centered.

We practice empathy. We engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts.

We make our spaces family-friendly and enable parents to fully participate with their children. We dismantle the patriarchal practice that requires mothers to work “double shifts” so that they can mother in private even as they participate in public justice work.

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

We foster a queer‐affirming network. When we gather, we do so with the intention of freeing ourselves from the tight grip of heteronormative thinking, or rather, the belief that all in the world are heterosexual (unless s/he or they disclose otherwise).
So check your cisgender privilege at the door, rstevens, because BLM seems more about gay women than it does about black lives.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:23 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Early opium laws were indeed steered at Chinese immigrants.

Clearly engaging BLM for support makes sense, with their inclusive support for asian people so evident and all.
In the 1970s, Opium/Heroin was associated with black people.

I hope no one here truly believes these laws are for the good of society?! I find it hard to swallow, that these laws were used to target certain minorities...but all the sudden, in 2012, they started being concerned about public health and safety? LOL Cmon now!

If these laws were used like this in the past...they are used the same way today,(just a different group of people being targeted), Im not sure how anyone could argue against that.

Besides that, govt already admitted they lied about the dangers of these drugs, I guess they have taken that back now and are trying to have people believe they are super dangerous again?! Unbelievable.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:59 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
Knock it off with all these protests... Most of us who are still sane think they're ludicrous... BLM is a terrorist group... Do something more productive with your time.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:42 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
I think you all have been trolled. The OP pulled something similar about the freedom of information act before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies