Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 03:11 PM

653 posts, read 221,609 times

Advertisements

I bought two dozen bottles. I figure I can make some cash on that down the road when I sell them on ebay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 03:11 PM

18,456 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
This was exactly the free market.

A company received some negative feedback about their current branding and decided to adjust.

You seem pissed that they didn’t offer a Trump style forceful defense of their current branding as if it were perfection incarnate. That has nothing to do with an economic argument, and it’s more about you not liking their style.

Don't get so caught up about Aunt Jemima.

I was just using it as an example of cancel culture in the thread title.

Old 06-21-2020, 03:16 PM

18,444 posts, read 8,272,093 times
very simple solution....

..no more blacks in advertising....

Old 06-21-2020, 03:18 PM

17,307 posts, read 12,245,675 times
What’s it like to be some ingrained in the status quo and fearful of change that you get upset at businesses voluntarily choosing to update their own branding?

Old 06-21-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
very simple solution....

..no more blacks in advertising....

.......or American Indians apparently.

Even acknowledging their existence in any way is apparently offensive to the Left.

Old 06-21-2020, 03:25 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Since we are talking about the free market, buy 100% maple syrup. I use Maple Grove Farms out of Vermont.

Not only is it good, it has health benefits.

Maple syrup is a good source of both zinc and manganese, which play a key role in strengthening the immune system.

The consumption of maple syrup also helps in maintaining male reproductive health. There are certain minerals such as zinc, in maple syrup, that are useful for a healthy reproductive system, particularly the prostate gland.

Maple syrup contains zinc and its consumption may protect and prevent various cardiovascular disorders.

Since zinc seems to be one of maple syrup's main assets - use it for COVID puproses. Just dip your HCQ pill into some maple syrup into a tasty COVID preventative.
(Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. This statement is for entertainment purposes only )

Old 06-21-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
What’s it like to be some ingrained in the status quo and fearful of change that you get upset at businesses voluntarily choosing to update their own branding?

I'm not upset about it.

In fact it's probably a relatively benign form of cancel culture in comparison to things like the riots and pulling down historical statues that aren't even Confederate monuments like Columbus and George Washington.

Or trying to force a bakery to make you a cake when they don't want to.

Or trying to get someone fired because their politics are different than yours.

Etc.......

Aunt Jemima is just an example used for the thread title because it's current.

Again, concentrate less on the thread title and more about the questions posed in the OP.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:00 PM

17,307 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I'm not upset about it.

In fact it's probably a relatively benign form of cancel culture in comparison to things like the riots and pulling down historical statues that aren't even Confederate monuments like Columbus and George Washington.

Or trying to force a bakery to make you a cake when they don't want to.

Or trying to get someone fired because their politics are different than yours.

Etc.......

Aunt Jemima is just an example used for the thread title because it's current.

Again, concentrate less on the thread title and more about the questions posed in the OP.
I am. What is so upsetting about companies rebranding images of outdated stereotypes that you are reacting to it? There wasn’t some widespread boycott of Aunt Jemima or Land o Lakes or Mr Peanut. They just saw that they were outdated images they decided to update on their own and you’re attributing that to “cancel culture”. Why?

Old 06-21-2020, 04:10 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I agree OP it is nonsense.

What really gets me is that for decades we as a society has tried to lift black people up to give them more representation in the US. We have all manner of programs to help them out from affirmative action to mandates that a group, school, business etc.. has to have a certain percentage of minorities attending/working.

There has been so much effort to ingrain black people into the majority "white world" and now this nonsense where they are removing the black faces of Auntie and Uncle from kitchens across America.

I can't help but wonder if Black people asked for this or if the white social justice warriors thought pancakes were offensive and they told the black folk that we are removing Aunt Jamima because it is racist ??

I never liked the phrase "like white on rice" so maybe we can get rid of white rice in favor of a more diverse and socially acceptable PC , mob appeasing, political kneeling, brown rice?
maybe they are starting a trend which should be followed...........erase black history........ period.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I am. What is so upsetting about companies rebranding images of outdated stereotypes that you are reacting to it? There wasn’t some widespread boycott of Aunt Jemima or Land o Lakes or Mr Peanut. They just saw that they were outdated images they decided to update on their own and you’re attributing that to “cancel culture”. Why?

Because it's just the latest in a long list.

Its timely because it's going on now.

But it's really no different than the Redskins football team or a laundry list of other demands from the left for others to comply with their ideology.

Aunt Jemima was just getting ahead of the campaign for forced political correctness because they figured
""OMG, we've had a successful back woman as part of our product identity, so we will be a target sooner or later."

And again, you're getting to caught up about that vs the questions asked in the OP.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies