Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 06:32 AM

56,936 posts, read 25,873,676 times

Advertisements

About half the sates are decreasing and half are increasing with a few in the middle staying constant. Many of the states that allowed lose restrictions or opened up ahead of schedule are taking a hit while most of the states that had more severe restrictions are decreasing.

The mortality of this has a large delay from increases in infections, caution is needed and that doesn't seem to be the case nationwide. Too many people behaving as if this is over, the experts indicate otherwise.

This virus has many lasting effects even for those under 60 who recovered, its not just about deaths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 06:37 AM

11,202 posts, read 8,239,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I'm pretty sure that this was the only point this person was trying to make. I'm not sure what the rest of what you wrote is about. But you do bolster his point that this news "upsets liberals." So I ask: why does this news upset you?
The news does not upset me at all. What upsets me is people trying to misleed other people for political gain. That is all.

You can try to gaslight all you want. I'm not the one upset enough to start a thread based on misleeding info, but I am willing to (calmly, btw) add context, correct misinformation, or debate a different point of view.

So I've answered, now maybe you can tell me why you are so triggered by it?

Old 06-22-2020, 06:42 AM

38,999 posts, read 50,960,484 times
So why do right wingers keep starting threads asking "why don't you see xxx on the news?" when you can go to any MSM source and it is on the front page? The sharply declining death count is being reported, but it comes with the proper caveat that deaths lag case counts and the current death count falls in line with the local minimum of case counts we had just before we jumped in head first with both feet into reopening.

There is another thing at work though as well in my state and apparently Florida among others. The current case explosion is coming largely in people from 20-30 years old. While a decent percent of them might end up on oxygen in the ICU, very few of them are going to die from it. Hopefully the death rate stays down and goes even lower, but with all the young people catching it and passing it to vulnerable people, that might be wishful thinking.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:42 AM

5,075 posts, read 2,281,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I'm not the one upset enough to start a thread based on misleeding info, but I am willing to (calmly, btw) add context, correct misinformation, or debate a different point of view.

So I've answered, now maybe you can tell me why you are so triggered by it?
But you are upset enough to write several paragraphs arguing with someone for accurately stating that the number of covid deaths have gone down. When that's just a simple statement of fact.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:45 AM

23,769 posts, read 14,891,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Liberals are unhappy about this of course. You can tell they desperately want another lockdown. Except for people who want to go out and destroy a George Washington statue
So liberals want people to be out of work?

My morning paper tells me about people having their homes foreclosed on due to not being able to pay HOA dues because they are laid off. The CARES act didn't cover those fees. And you think things like that make liberals happy?

So sad you have such a low opinion of your fellow citizens who have a different POV and experience.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:45 AM

16,755 posts, read 8,136,612 times
Looks like Trump Administration is trying to slow down the testing hoping it just goes away.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...ntact-n1231688

Old 06-22-2020, 06:50 AM

7,346 posts, read 6,484,802 times
Increases are due to increases in testing. This stupid hoax is nothing more than the entity illegally occupying the mainland region of China (I now refuse to refer to them as China, the real China is in exile on the island of Taiwan) ordering the w.h.o. to mandate that people with certain symptoms are no longer treated. 6 months ago, these symptoms would have gotten you an antibiotic and steroid. Now, just a "good luck." Which is one key reason primarily minority areas are getting the hardest hit. There is a huge disparity of care between low-income minority areas and middle class and up white areas. The latter category still has doctors willing to treat people, while the former isn't, they're going to adhere closely to cdc/who guidance to minimize the chances of being sued. People can still die even with treatment, that's been happening from these symptoms since before "corona" was even a thing, just now, the under-funded clinics and urgent cares are only going to stick to "guidance" so if someone does die, there's a paper trail that shows no errors were committed.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:57 AM

35,508 posts, read 17,745,634 times
OP, I've been following several sites that measure Covid, and have posted the worldometers link you are using several times, because it's a good overall picture.

But looking at the US as a whole really isn't a good way to look at trends in covid. That's like looking at the weather map as a whole in the US and averaging temperatures and rainfall - and calling that the weather report.

Deaths are down nationwide, largely because New York and New Jersey have finally, mercifully, been able to get their feet under them again. New York still accounts for 41 of the 267 total deaths, so still a bit of a hot spot.

I'm in Texas, so I've also been looking at our numbers daily and it's concerning. I'm looking at "deaths per county" and "hospitalizations per metropolitan area", but not following "cases per county" because many of those can be very mild or asymptomatic, so not really a big concern to me.

Hospitalizations have skyrocketed in major metropolitan areas in Texas plus Galveston (don't know why Galveston is so particularly high per capita) although deaths are remaining kind of flat. It may be that the incredible increase in hospitalizations will lead to increased deaths in the coming weeks, or maybe not. Don't know - have to wait and see.

Anyway, we're FAR from through this in Texas.

https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/a...ZDwUTLJKsT9wZA

Last edited by ClaraC; 06-22-2020 at 07:23 AM..

Old 06-22-2020, 06:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,618,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I'm pretty sure that this was the only point this person was trying to make. I'm not sure what the rest of what you wrote is about. But you do bolster his point that this news "upsets liberals." So I ask: why does this news upset you?
Why would anyone be upset if deaths are indeed going down?
Why does the OP believe that, again, if true, this wouldn’t be reported?

I thought that the “media” are in bed with the protesters.
Shouldn’t they be trumpeting lower rates while the protests are ongoing just because?

I would expect the OP to have started a thread doubting the lower numbers due to some sort of coverup, again due to the protests, but to accuse the media of not reporting encouraging numbers in light of everything that’s going on seems totally nonsensical.

I’m thrilled that deaths are lower, if true.
It means that I might be able to travel and see family.
Because yes, liberals have family that they care about too.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:02 AM

56,936 posts, read 25,873,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Increases are due to increases in testing. This stupid hoax is nothing more than the entity illegally occupying the mainland region of China (I now refuse to refer to them as China, the real China is in exile on the island of Taiwan) ordering the w.h.o. to mandate that people with certain symptoms are no longer treated. 6 months ago, these symptoms would have gotten you an antibiotic and steroid. Now, just a "good luck." Which is one key reason primarily minority areas are getting the hardest hit. There is a huge disparity of care between low-income minority areas and middle class and up white areas. The latter category still has doctors willing to treat people, while the former isn't, they're going to adhere closely to cdc/who guidance to minimize the chances of being sued. People can still die even with treatment, that's been happening from these symptoms since before "corona" was even a thing, just now, the under-funded clinics and urgent cares are only going to stick to "guidance" so if someone does die, there's a paper trail that shows no errors were committed.
The testing rate has increased in some states that were far behind but the percent positive has increased along with the hospitalization rate so this cant be excused by just increased testing.

The bottom of the site below has all the information, decrease in daily deaths, daily new infections steady and active cases still on the rise.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies