Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 07:03 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
[So why do right wingers keep starting threads asking "why don't you see xxx on the news?" when you can go to any MSM source and it is on the front page? The sharply declining death count is being reported, but it comes with the proper caveat that deaths lag case counts and the current death count falls in line with the local minimum of case counts we had just before we jumped in head first with both feet into reopening.

There is another thing at work though as well in my state and apparently Florida among others. The current case explosion is coming largely in people from 20-30 years old. While a decent percent of them might end up on oxygen in the ICU, very few of them are going to die from it. Hopefully the death rate stays down and goes even lower, but with all the young people catching it and passing it to vulnerable people, that might be wishful thinking.
Limited news sources?
Broken google?
Willful ignorance?

Years and years of threads starting with a version of this question and still no answer as to why posters walk themselves into this trap.
It’s kind of sad really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 07:04 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Promoting an irrational fear over a virus in order to terrorize the citizens of this country is ghoulish.
Until you catch it and find yourself in the emergency room. It's always a conspiracy theory until it happens to you.

ANd perhaps people are psychologically separated from the severity of the virus watching it on the news and reading about it every day. But the numbers are actually people. Deaths. One person you love who dies should be enough to take it seriously. Or even if they land in the hospital for two weeks on a ventilator.

Things appear less dangerous when viewed at a distance.

I had it. I am a healthy male who is active and in his 40s. I had it. It is no flu and I can see how someone with a weaker immune system can be taken out.

Deaths are down, but the number of infected are going up. People are not dying like they used to because hospitals are getting better at treating it. And social distancing and the stay at home orders helped hospitals catch up.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 06-22-2020 at 07:54 AM..

Old 06-22-2020, 07:21 AM

1,711 posts, read 807,094 times
I certainly wish they'd report the "stage" of the cases. Knowing 99% (or whatever it is) are stage I or II would be helpful.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:26 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Until you catch it and find yourself in the emergency room. It's always a conspiracy theory until it happens to you.

ANd perhaps people are psychologically separated from the severity of the virus watching it on the news and reading about it every day. But the numbers are actually people. Deaths. One person you love who dies should be enough to take it seriously. Or even if they land in the hospital for two weeks on a ventilator.

Things appear less dangerous when viewed at a distance.

I had it. I am a health male who is active and in his 40s. I had it. It is no flu and I can see how someone with a weaker immune system can be taken out.

Deaths are down, but the number of infected are going up. People are not dying like they used to because hospitals are getting better at treating it. And social distancing and the stay at home orders helped hospitals catch up.
Glad you are doing better.

I am a healthy woman in my 50s and I do not want to catch this. I've never worried about catching the flu- most years I haven't even bothered to get a shot. I had the flu for once that I know of due to a positive test and am fairly certain I had it several other times. I stay home from work for a few days, maybe even a week and rest and drink fluids. How many healthy people are hospitalized with flu? Very rare. I know a few people who ended up having to get IV fluids due to dehydration when they weren't careful.

This is different. Sure, most who die were elderly or had other conditions. But we're seeing more young people hospitalized, especially in Florida. And this is new, so we still dont know the lasting effect on people's bodies even after they "recover".

Stay safe, all.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:28 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
The left will try to spin ANY news into the worst news to condemn Trump and his supporters.

One goal. One goal only.

While you'll conveniently ignore the right spinning anything into the glorification of Trump, eh?

Old 06-22-2020, 07:29 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Why would anyone be upset if deaths are indeed going down?
That's what I'm asking. For months now some people have met any good news about coronavirus with argument and accusations about watching Fox News. Why? Do they want this situation to be worse than it is?

Old 06-22-2020, 07:33 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
That's what I'm asking. For months now some people have met any good news about coronavirus with argument and accusations about watching Fox News. Why? Do they want this situation to be worse than it is?
Why does Trump want to reduce testing? Wouldn't this make the situation worse than it is?

Old 06-22-2020, 07:35 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
No one is upset about deaths going down. That's some weird psychotic trumplican dream where they incorrectly believe that the "liberals" want to keep everyone locked up.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:41 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
But you are upset enough to write several paragraphs arguing with someone for accurately stating that the number of covid deaths have gone down. When that's just a simple statement of fact.

Just making sure his "simple statement of fact" was set in the proper context.

What, you don't like facts when they derail your agenda? Again, I'm pretty calm here, just having a discussion and a debate? Why is what I typed so upsetting to you? You keep ignoring that. Do you disagree with what I typed? If yes, I'm open to hear why, and if you give a good explanation, maybe I'll change my point of view.

Actually, that's why I come here, to challenge my current beliefs, and sometimes*, someone will give me an explanation I hadn't considered, and I'll change. It's happened before. And FWIW, I'm actually a lot more skeptical of politicians on left and right, as a result. What about you, have you grown any? Have you learned anything, or are you too busy shouting insults and responses to hear what others are saying?

Old 06-22-2020, 07:47 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
Quote:
Yep. 267 today-the lowest number of deaths since March 24 due to Covid. Another milestone-first week with no days over 1000 in months. This in spite of "lockdowns" being lifted in more and more places.

Bet you didn't see that on the evening news. I wonder why?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Probably because the data-literate understand the concept of lagging indicators.

They (not you, but they) also understand the concept of leading indicators.

Quote:
U.S. reports more than 30,000 coronavirus cases two days straight, the highest number since May 1
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/20/us-r...nce-may-1.html

And just so everyone is crystal clear on what you're peddling, this is what you posted on March 12th:
Quote:
12,000 Americans died from H1N1. 34 (?) have died from Coronavirus. Care to explain how "this is way worse than swine flu" to those that can do math?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/57549722-post51.html

Figured out yet why 120,000 (and counting, with no end in sight) is way worse than 12,000 dead? Looks like you are the math-challenged (and reality-challenged) individual here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies