Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2020, 12:55 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Everything you describe is based on behaviors, not the race of the practitioners of the behavior. And not just a little propaganda as well. Asian cities are good at hiding what ails them.

64% of the slum population in the world is in Asia. The endemic issues of ghettos, slums, etc don't much care about race. Only thing slums in America have over the ones almost anywhere else in the world is the ability to succeed your way out of a ghetto actually exists in America. In Asian caste societies, you have no chance at all, despite what Slumdog Millionaire makes people think.

Crippling, no escape poverty is the rule for most of the world. America, for all of the bad press it gets, actually let's people move in and out ghettos of their own free will, according to their own behaviors. Ghetto, project, trailer park, barrio, whatever. If you want out, every tool to aid you on the path of successful behavior exists in america, and more than that, you are actively encouraged to make use of any and all as the need arises.

Sure, Seoul is very nice....but methinks your travels never took you to Guryong Village, which every bit of a proper slum, right there in Seoul. Asia has poor people aplenty, and unlike our culture of free choice, in many Asian cultures, what station you are born into decides virtually the entirety of your life.

Oppression is the rule in Asia, not the exception. Even the worst off American has opportunity and structures in place to help them escape...but they have to choose it. It's a luxury most Americans don't understand and thus, take totally for granted.
And can we bring up suicide rates.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:58 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm not sure how to explain myself better. The topic of this thread is that black people should emulate Asian culture. I compared an example of an Asian area and a predominantly black area, and compared them in terms of the number of murders. By this measure, the Asian area is clearly, vastly superior.

Would it help if I compared my own personal observations? I work in downtown Baltimore, and I see fights, garbage on the ground, graffiti, car engines being revved loudly, jaywalking, loud angry shouting, and numerous other signs of societal rot. Care to guess the race of about 95% of the people doing these things?

I also spent two weeks in South Korea, and I saw clean streets, quiet, orderly people, no broken windows or graffiti, and normal sounding cars. I saw less litter on the ground in Seoul, a city of 10 million people, than I see on the ground in any single block in Baltimore -- and no, that is absolutely not an exaggeration. I found myself on the fringes of two different street demonstrations while in Seoul, and in both of them, the people were being quieter than I can hear at any random moment in Baltimore. I felt safer walking the streets of Seoul at night than I do in Baltimore in the daytime. I assume you can figure out the race of over 99% of the people I saw there in South Korea.

There is a huge, massive difference in the societal culture between what I witnessed in South Korea and what I witness in Baltimore. And by nearly any measure you care to name, Seoul is more successful than Baltimore.
HOAs may enforce bylaws, but cities and towns barely enforce ordinances even if they are clearly on the books. Apparently we can't police ourselves. No one will do it for us.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:01 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Everything you describe is based on behaviors, not the race of the practitioners of the behavior.
I believe, regardless of race, behavior is largely determined by heritable traits and tendencies. Imagine if only the white lower class bred and no whites higher than the lower class did. Eventually all whites would behave on average as the lower class does.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:01 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Everything you describe is based on behaviors, not the race of the practitioners of the behavior. And not just a little propaganda as well. Asian cities are good at hiding what ails them.

64% of the slum population in the world is in Asia. The endemic issues of ghettos, slums, etc don't much care about race. Only thing slums in America have over the ones almost anywhere else in the world is the ability to succeed your way out of a ghetto actually exists in America. In Asian caste societies, you have no chance at all, despite what Slumdog Millionaire makes people think.

Crippling, no escape poverty is the rule for most of the world. America, for all of the bad press it gets, actually let's people move in and out ghettos of their own free will, according to their own behaviors. Ghetto, project, trailer park, barrio, whatever. If you want out, every tool to aid you on the path of successful behavior exists in america, and more than that, you are actively encouraged to make use of any and all as the need arises.

Sure, Seoul is very nice....but methinks your travels never took you to Guryong Village, which every bit of a proper slum, right there in Seoul. Asia has poor people aplenty, and unlike our culture of free choice, in many Asian cultures, what station you are born into decides virtually the entirety of your life.

Oppression is the rule in Asia, not the exception. Even the worst off American has opportunity and structures in place to help them escape...but they have to choose it. It's a luxury most Americans don't understand and thus, take totally for granted.
I haven't traveled the world much at all, but for all the people that I know have they say a lot of similar things here as you've mentioned. Our culture has done a spectacular job of making people think that they are victims and have a bad life. I don't always go around pounding my chest about how great America is, but all of these people complaining really need to stand back and get a grip and look around at just how great it is here.

More people wanna come here than leave and that's the fact Jack.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:02 PM

866 posts, read 319,676 times
Why doesn't every person eliminate the their negative habits and focus on positive habits?

Old 06-22-2020, 01:03 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Everything you describe is based on behaviors, not the race of the practitioners of the behavior.
I agree with you 100%, and I apologize if I gave a contrary impression. The whole topic of this thread is about black people emulating Asian culture, not black people turning into Asian people. Asian culture made Seoul what it is, and black culture has largely made Baltimore what it is. If black (and white) Baltimoreans behaved according to the culture of Seoulites, Baltimore would be one of the cleanest, safest, most prosperous cities in the world.

Nor do I believe that black people are incapable of behaving according to the norms of civilized behaviors. Plenty of them do, every single day. (Unfortunately, these are not the ones you typically hear about.) Black people who practice the behaviors that lead to success can and do succeed in nearly every field of human endeavor.

What we're talking about is generalities. Sizable swaths of Asian people, at least here in America, practice behavioral traits that lead to success. Sizable swaths of black people . . . don't. And the results are plain to see to anyone who cares to look. It's not their race that leads one group to success and the other to failure; it's their behavior, just like you said.

Quote:
Sure, Seoul is very nice....but methinks your travels never took you to Guryong Village, which every bit of a proper slum, right there in Seoul.
You are correct, I did not get to that area. My understanding is that Guryong is very much the exception in terms of Seoul neighborhoods. Certainly I saw nothing even remotely like it, during my criss-crossing of the city. I could show you many, many blocks in Baltimore that are completely abandoned and ruined, as if they had been bombed in an air raid. Seoul -- which, let's not forget, was scarred by the Japanese occupation and then devastated during the Korean War -- has nothing comparable (to my knowledge), not even Guryong.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:07 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I haven't traveled the world much at all, but for all the people that I know have they say a lot of similar things here as you've mentioned. Our culture has done a spectacular job of making people think that they are victims and have a bad life. I don't always go around pounding my chest about how great America is, but all of these people complaining really need to stand back and get a grip and look around at just how great it is here.

More people wanna come here than leave and that's the fact Jack.
The US is a country where desperate, poor, down and out people drive their car, talking on a cell phone, to a food bank to get that desperately needed food, lol.

And then complain and post via their computer and Internet the entire time about how bad they have it...

Old 06-22-2020, 01:11 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
the OP is the racist post. It implies that black people don't do or value any of the things listed. All i did was rattle off things Asian-American have already done. If you're going to compare groups of people under different circumstances your going to have to draw 1-to-1 parallels.
Nope. All you did was deflect from the topic. Apparently as an excuse to justify the utter failure of black, urban culture-in spite of the massive amount of black privilege in this nation.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:13 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I believe, regardless of race, behavior is largely determined by heritable traits and tendencies. Imagine if only the white lower class bred and no whites higher than the lower class did. Eventually all whites would behave on average as the lower class does.
What do that inherit that makes them behave badly?

Does it mean it's not my neighbors fault when they shoot off M80s at 2am?

Old 06-22-2020, 01:18 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
And anyone bitching and moaning about how the system is out to get them, or how rich people keep them down, or whatever the hell they are justifying their failures with should study your father and copy his positive behaviors. By all means losers...be like that black guy. FFS, the whole country would do well to emulate that black guy. Please please please....be THAT guy.

And you are 100% right that finding black success stories of all sorts isn't hard, not even a little. It's remarkably easy because there are millions upon millions of them. That's why I tweak out so hard in these threads, like there isn't a successful black person anywhere in America, when there literally tens of millions of them. MILLIONS. Like a mountain of evidence to observe about how black people not only can succeed every day in this country, but DO JUST THAT.

I am a white kid who grew up poor, dysfunctional family, single mom household, drugs/alcohol issues, whole nine yards. When I was listening to my white mom blame society and every other thing under the Sun besides herself, I was the same sort of loser as her. The minute I started thinking like YOUR DAD, that black guy who went to college, got his degree, got a good job, taught his family the virtues of hard work and education, etc....well, let's just say doing it your dad's way worked out one helluva lot better than my mom's way. I am sticking with your dad's jam...because it works.
It's basically bullslit to imply that factors outside individuals control cannot and do not shape lives. During the great recession, the lives of many hard working people who did all the right things were up ended. Some lost their jobs, their homes, their savings, etc. What caused this? THE SYSTEM. The system giveth and taketh away. It always has. You could exist as a farm and nature can giveth and teketh away, via floods, droughts, infestations.....HUMAN RAIDERS AND INVADERS.

Humans have always had to deal with systemic forces whether the system being nature, capitalism or whatever. Systems give and take away and this impacts the outcomes of peoples lives and always have. The fallacy of division is the ERROR of assuming that what is true of the group is true of all member of the group. The fallacy of composition is the ERROR in reasoning that assumes what is true of a member of a group is thus true of the group. One's anecdotes of their life's experience, applied to the whole, is an ERROR in reasoning. It proves nothing about the whole or what is true of other parts.

Multiple Americas exist. In some places there is lots of opportunity and other places there are little opportunities. In some places there is lots of crime and some places there is little crime. In some places economic mobility is hard and in some places its easy. In some places unemployment is high and some places its extremely low. In some places its segregated and other places its integrated. No one walks through the same experience of life. No one walks in the shoes of another. The permutations of individual uniqueness combined with unique time and space ensures that NO ONES situation is exactly the same. No one can say that because they did it....another person should have or could have too. That is impossible to know. It's just a probable that had you walked in the shoes of a life that was a failure.....YOU WOULD HAVE FAILED TOO. We like to think, however, that we are BETTER than others and hence we assume we can walk in other shoes better than they can or did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies