Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 07:26 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,824,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I hope this continues beyond the end of this year. Maybe employers will realize what good workers Americans are and worth paying a little extra to keep them:

Multiple sources who spoke to NPR said Trump is likely to sign an expansion of his April immigration executive order that halted new employment-based green cards...

The expansion, which Trump may sign this weekend, is expected to halt the inflow of foreign workers arriving on H-1B visas, L-1 visas, J-1 visas, and H-2B visas.

The expansion would mean a major reduction to foreign competition in the U.S. job market until the end of the year, as currently about 40 million Americans are unemployed and underemployed – all of whom want full-time work.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...e-30m-jobless/

Anything that helps American workers get back to work is a good thing. This should help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 05:00 AM

17,389 posts, read 11,917,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
This is going to kill a lot of business for a lot of people. Particularly for H1B visas. It makes up a huge part of the workforce in tech. And it's extremely hard to hire talent locally. You can yell all day, about their being a ton of qualified Americans, but trust me, that's not the case. When doing interviews, 9 out of every 10 resumes I receive are from foreign born people. Particularly from India.
If that's "not the case" then it falls on the universities to MAKE it the case. They're the ones who are dropping the ball when it comes to creating qualified workers.

This system has allowed them to become lazy. There is no incentive to actually EDUCATE, because they have this backup plan. By halting the visas, we can only hope that the universities will be forced to start doing their jobs, which is teach, instead of indocrinate.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:20 AM

5,039 posts, read 6,322,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Not quite. Students in elementary school and high school aren't thinking about wages. If they were smart and applied themselves, they would get into a decent college and land a good job with good pay. The students from decent colleges aren't having issues getting good pay. It's the mediocre students that do.
I'm not sure we are actually disagreeing. My point is that good (citizen) students ARE getting good jobs, but the H-1B system and its resultant downward pressure on wages is disincenting them from making their careers in tech.

Many of the caliber of students you're referring to have the ability to make it through almost any major. The overall lower starting wages in tech encourage them to go into fields other than engineering and CS for a career. In general, they pick where they see the most money (not tech) for the least effort (...not tech). There are always some exceptions, as some students are just drawn to the field because they love the material and type of work, but for a student without strong individual atrraction to a particular field, their choice is probably at least a little influenced by money and career prospects.

I honestly believe H-1B's see the likely green card at the end of their time here as a kind of "in-kind" compensation, and thus don't bid up salaries to the level that would attract Americans into technology at the numbers the industry needs. Yes, the money's solid now for tech workers, but it's not at a level it would normally be. This is due to H-1B numbers-which further keeps "prevailing wages" (what must be offered to H-1B candidates) depressed.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:25 AM

77,915 posts, read 60,076,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That's great. I'm sure there's a ton of currently-unemployed hospitality workers who are all agog to get into server virtualization, application architecture design and network security.

Well, OK - it's great for me. My skillset just became harder to find.
We should import more, have them work 80 hours\week for $10/hour and then when people complain about declining job opportunities and pay we say that Americans don't want to work that hard for so little and don't want to do those jobs anyway.

Oh and anyone that complains should have gotten a different education and is racist.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:36 AM

24,366 posts, read 22,946,540 times
How dare Trump be sane when its clearly a time for insanity.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:35 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,537,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
This is going to affect foreign students who come here to pursue graduate studies and then often end up working using H1B visas from companies that hire them. These are extremely intelligent people that we are going to lose.

Good. We can hire all the extremely intelligent Americans who also studied here in our schools.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:37 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,466,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Where is your link that backs up your assertion?
Where is your link showing qualified American workers being displaced by foreigners?

Old 06-25-2020, 08:51 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,537,551 times
In addition to foreign workers taking jobs, the "family reunification" laws make it even worse. I had my hair cut several years ago by a very nice woman from Turkey. She told me how much she liked it here and how she was only able to come because her brother in law was a dentist. She went on to explain that he came on one of the visas and was in the process of bringing over their whole family under family reunification. So far he had brought in 36, and there were 50 more still in Turkey. So here she is, taking a beautician job, which is one of the few jobs that young people can train for quickly and inexpensively. Now how fair is that!!

Old 06-26-2020, 10:06 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,667,129 times
I know a friend who is from India and used to work at Austin in IT field. He came to USA on H1b visa. Later on he married an American citizen and acquired Green Card. His American boss fired him saying that now he has become too expensive for them. Before leaving he had to train his replacement - a other indian H1b visa holder.
This whole charade of shortage of skilled workers is an utter lie. Same guy was talented for them when he was on H1b visa and fired when he was on Green card. They want visa holders so that salary can be kept low and he will not run away as his future green card prospects are dangling on this carrot.
If you curtail this visa program, greed and exploitation will end.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:54 PM

215 posts, read 150,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
I know a friend who is from India and used to work at Austin in IT field. He came to USA on H1b visa. Later on he married an American citizen and acquired Green Card. His American boss fired him saying that now he has become too expensive for them. Before leaving he had to train his replacement - a other indian H1b visa holder.
This whole charade of shortage of skilled workers is an utter lie. Same guy was talented for them when he was on H1b visa and fired when he was on Green card. They want visa holders so that salary can be kept low and he will not run away as his future green card prospects are dangling on this carrot.
If you curtail this visa program, greed and exploitation will end.
This is indeed true. Not about firing GC, but about hiring with low salary.

I mentioned on the other post. Its not the problem with H1

Its with,

Employers taking advantage of H1b to bring cheap labor
Shady consulting companies using h1b for tech slavery
Govt, not keeping up the h1 standards bar to current. For ex, for high skilled h1b, minimum salary was set close to 3 decades ago, and not much revised to the current.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies