Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 03:12 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Way to paint all republicans with a broad brush.

If democrats are so pro education, explain why schools in democrat run cities are in such bad shape. The irony is that these cities throw lots of money at the schools with nothing to show for it.

If republicans hate education, then explain why there are many successful republican business owners. Also, explain why there are many well educated kids who are raised in republican families.

The Evangelicals are only a small fraction of republicans. Besides, I know an Evangelical family who were republicans. All their kids are college educated---and no, not all of them went to Evangelical colleges.
So you bring up the usual talking points so I will ask you:

Can you provide examples of Republican run cities (real cities not podunks) where the schools are in good shape?

There are many successful Democratic Business owners too who's kids are well educated so that's a mute point but can you tell me where these GOP Business owners live? I will guess they are in the suburbs but I look forward to your answer.

Evangelicals may be a small fraction as you point out and you know some??? But a strong faith and party affiliation does not mean college is in the picture. Parent(s) who place a value on education and hold their kids accountable to apply themselves in school make the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 03:21 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Yes but one day it needs to be started. If new H1b holders are blocked now, in 5 or 10 years USA will stand back on its legs away from this over dependence on Foreign workers.
It will be much quicker than that. Indians have an average IQ of 82. More than an entire standard deviation below Americans. Most of the h1bs go to Indian consultancies and are not remotely ‘high skilled’. Get rid of them and we will be just fine.
They make it sound like people from a country without toilets are somehow God’s gift to tech.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Crazy that America is having this conversation.

One aspect of American politics is that our GOP tends to act on the anti-science stance of its evangelical base who favor teaching the bible while shunning science and public education. Thus the GOP acts in an anti-educational manner, starving public education in favor of evangelical madrassas brainwashing kids.

Further, GOP kowtows to financial backers in the billionaire "Koch-wing" of the GOP which hates all unions. Witness Scott Walker's efforts in WI to end collective bargaining of public employees.

Then there's the racist KKK southern baptist component of the GOP base that hates to fund anything to do with education if it benefits people of color, even if it assigns their own children to a life of low-wage misery.

So, here we are.
- Business says we need well-educated people, as if home-grown talent does not exist, and wants to let foreigners in.
- Trump/GOP won't fund education, as if home-grown talent does exist, and wants to keep foreigners out.

As always in these matters, where is truth?
As always in our politics, where is sanity?
As always in our nation, race and religion harms Americans.
The truth is that businesses replaced the tech workers with cheap knockoffs and now claim there are no tech workers. It was always a scam.

This Video shows how lawyers game the system to exclude Americans so they can hire their h1b of choice.

https://youtu.be/TCbFEgFajGU

Old 06-23-2020, 03:31 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
So you bring up the usual talking points so I will ask you:

Can you provide examples of Republican run cities (real cities not podunks) where the schools are in good shape?

There are many successful Democratic Business owners too who's kids are well educated so that's a mute point but can you tell me where these GOP Business owners live? I will guess they are in the suburbs but I look forward to your answer.

Evangelicals may be a small fraction as you point out and you know some??? But a strong faith and party affiliation does not mean college is in the picture. Parent(s) who place a value on education and hold their kids accountable to apply themselves in school make the difference.
First of all, did you even read what I wrote?

If you did, I never did claim that schools in republican large cities are great, did I?

I never talked about where anybody lived, did I? You know darn well that those with lots of money live in wealthy enclaves. Why bring it up?

I was responding to what another poster wrote. Why did you feel compelled to answer?

There are plenty of democrats who don't value education either. But you knew that, didn't you?

My objection is with the other poster painting all on the right with a broad brush.

Besides it's "moot point" not "mute point":

https://www.dictionary.com/e/moot-point-vs-mute-point/

Old 06-23-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
It will be much quicker than that. Indians have an average IQ of 82. More than an entire standard deviation below Americans. Most of the h1bs go to Indian consultancies and are not remotely ‘high skilled’. Get rid of them and we will be just fine.
They make it sound like people from a country without toilets are somehow God’s gift to tech.
I ran out of rep so I owe you one

Old 06-23-2020, 03:37 PM

165 posts, read 115,122 times
Quote:
I know you didn't ask me but...It's all about money to greedy employers. They prefer cheap and exploitable workers. Never mind that the H1-B visa program is riddled with fraud to the point that many applicants present fake resumes and get away with it. Plus, the companies hiring them don't want to have to take a hard look at those resumes.
You have no idea what you’re talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Would you describe that as a shortcoming of our educational system, or is it possible that native born Americans are asking for more money than the company is willing to pay ... or perhaps something else?

Curious.
As an individual who works in the technology industry and is in the trenches with hiring talent, I’d argue that it’s not education, but the fact that there just aren’t a ton of candidates who are U.S. Citizens. Anyone who thinks technology firms are paying pennies for these candidates are either not in the industry or if they are they are not in a position to see what the H-1B candidates are receiving for their talent. Not only are they receiving top dollar at least $130k to start and can go as high as $200k + depending on experience, the size of the company, education level etc., but companies have to pay thousands, in addition to base salary and bonuses, to sponsor those H-1Bs, which eventually have to be transitioned to a Green Card pursuit if the individual remains with the company long enough. And of course a Green Card costs thousands more dollars to support. Companies are investing A LOT in these H1 employees.

In short, these companies are willing to pay if the talent is there, U.S. Citizen or not, but again it’s been my experience that there aren’t an abundance of U.S. Citizens with this type of of skill set and education.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:41 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
A lot of trump employees are foreign visa workers. lmao

Old 06-23-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Flames View Post
You have no idea what you’re talking about.

As an individual who works in the technology industry and is in the trenches with hiring talent, I’d argue that it’s not education, but the fact that there just aren’t a ton of candidates who are U.S. Citizens. Anyone who thinks technology firms are paying pennies for these candidates are either not in the industry or if they are they are not in a position to see what the H-1B candidates are receiving for their talent. Not only are they receiving top dollar mid to high 6-figures for their work, but companies have to pay thousands, in addition to base salary and bonuses, to sponsor those H-1Bs, which eventually have to be transition to a Green Card pursuit if the individual remains with the company long enough. And of course a Green Card costs thousands more dollars to support. Companies are investing A LOT in these H1 employees.

In short, these companies are willing to pay if the talent is there, U.S. Citizen or not, but again it’s been my experience that there aren’t an abundance of U.S. Citizens with this type of of skill set and education.
I most certainly know what I'm talking about.

I've explained more than once why Americans are reluctant to go into STEM/IT these days. It would behoove you to read through the entire thread before responding.

As for your BS about how well paid H1-Bs are --- Explain why some companies have laid off their American citizen IT workers and replaced them with H1-Bs. You don't know why, do you? Well...I'll tell you.

Groups like Tata, Infosys, Wipro grab a bunch of H1-B visas. Once they fill those visa positions, they go to companies and tell them they would save a lot of money if they got rid of the Americans and used H1-B contract workers. The contracting company pays the H1-Bs a lot less than the company was paying their Americans. Plus, with contract workers, they don't have to pay benefits.

If all H1-Bs were making what Americans make, then it would make no sense to replace Americans with H1-Bs, would it?

Old 06-23-2020, 04:11 PM

165 posts, read 115,122 times
Quote:
I most certainly know what I'm talking about.

Groups like Tata, Infosys, Wipro grab a bunch of H1-B visas. Once they fill those visa positions, they go to companies and tell them they would save a lot of money if they got rid of the Americans and used H1-B contract workers. The contracting company pays the H1-Bs a lot less than the company was paying their Americans. Plus, with contract workers, they don't have to pay benefits.

If all H1-Bs were making what Americans make, then it would make no sense to replace Americans with H1-Bs, would it?
When I speak of my experience I’m talking about U.S. based technology firms. If there are U.S. Citizens with the desired talent where are they? Because again they are few and far between. And when we do find those few they can sometimes be difficult to pin down because the market is so competitive. Heck, it can be hard to pin down individuals who need sponsoring due to the demand for the talent from all over.

But I digress, all of the companies you mentioned are based out of India, with offices here in the U.S., and all of whom have been severely penalized for abusing the H-1B program, as they should. Per the law, companies cannot be H1 dependent and if they’re found to be so there will be serious trouble with the USCIS.

Regarding benefits, under ACA, the contract/temp agency must offer those individuals benefits coverage if they have more than 50 employees. So if they are hiring a slew of foreign skilled workers and are taking on H1 costs, you can bet your ass they are passing on some, if not all of those costs to the client.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Flames View Post
When I speak of my experience I’m talking about U.S. based technology firms. If there are U.S. Citizens with the desired talent where are they? Because again they are few and far between. And when we do find them they can sometimes be difficult to pin down because the market is so competitive. Heck, it can be hard to pin down individuals who need sponsoring due to the demand for the talent from all over.

But I digress, all of the companies you mentioned are based out of India, with offices here in the U.S., and all of whom have been severely penalized for abusing the H-1B program, as they should. Per the law, companies cannot be H1 dependent and if they’re found to be so there will be serious trouble with the USCIS.

Regarding benefits, under ACA, the contract/temp agency must offer those individuals benefits coverage if they have more than 50 employees. So if they are hiring a slew of foreign skilled workers and are taking on H1 costs, you can bet your ass they are passing on some, if not all of those costs to the client.
The Indian companies just keep doing it without penalty and they have ARMIES of Hindu h1bs which they use to replace American Fortune 500 employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies