Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Let's see:

Having a cold impacts ones driving style
Having to get the kids ready for school and being late impacts ones driving style
Having an argument with ones spouse impacts ones driving style
Thinking about the "big" test at school impacts ones driving style
Thinking about your upcoming vacation impacts ones driving style
Following your line of reasoning only living people commit crimes; therefore if we eliminate life, we've eliminated crime too.

Originally Posted by detshen
Quote:
I have no wish to take away peoples ability to enjoy a fine meal paired with a good wine or try a new micro brew without having to pay $60 cab fare when they aren't causing a danger. I have no wish to hinder something that is a pleasurable experience for many people because you don't like it.
I guess that I find public safety more important than an individual's pleasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 07:24 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Greatday Following your line of reasoning only living people commit crimes; therefore if we eliminate life, we've eliminated crime too.

Originally Posted by detshen I guess that I find public safety more important than an individual's pleasure.
Once again, read it very slowly, no danger.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:33 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by detshen
Quote:
Once again, read it very slowly, no danger.
Alcohol poses a danger because it impairs their decision-making.
Just because you believe alcohol isn't dangerous does it mean that it isn't.
And when it comes to public safety I'm rather safe than sorry and find 0 tolerance a perfect solution.
Anywayz, once people start to drink alcohol they often loose count of how many glasses they've had, especially when they're having a good time.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshenAlcohol poses a danger because it impairs their decision-making.
Just because you believe alcohol isn't dangerous does it mean that it isn't.
And when it comes to public safety I'm rather safe than sorry and find 0 tolerance a perfect solution.
Anywayz, once people start to drink alcohol they often loose count of how many glasses they've had, especially when they're having a good time.
It's not my belief, it's been proven.
People who drink moderately do not forget how much they have had.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let's see:

Having a cold impacts ones driving style
Having to get the kids ready for school and being late impacts ones driving style
Having an argument with ones spouse impacts ones driving style
Thinking about the "big" test at school impacts ones driving style
Thinking about your upcoming vacation impacts ones driving style

Therefore we should probably ban all driving for everyone everywhere
All of these things are more dangerous than being under the legal limit so should they also have a zero tolerance policy. Sneezing is very bad, maybe people with allergies should not drive.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
The cop can stop you for a broken taillight while you are driving fine. In that case your life would be destroyed even though you were not causing any danger.

If they stop you for driving bad because you are truly impaired then fine, that's too much alcohol for you. But it hasn't been shown to be a generally dangerous level.
They don't usually breathalyze you when you've been stopped for a broken taillight. I believe (not certain) that Colorado has an implied consent law, but I have never been breathalyzed when stopped for anything. They usually wait until they smell alcohol on your breath or have some other reason to believe you've been drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen So you are claiming that alcohol has no affect on a person's reflexes, logical reasoning or decision making?
Quote:
Not not enough to cause a danger.
Quote:
All of these things are more dangerous than being under the legal limit so should they also have a zero tolerance policy. Sneezing is very bad, maybe people with allergies should not drive.
Well. Here is a BAC calculator. You can see that you don't need a lot to drink before impairment is possible.

Blood Alcohol Content Calculator - The Police Notebook

I'm not sure "all those things", e.g. having a cold, thinking about a vacation, etc. have been proven to be more dangerous than drinking. I somehow doubt it.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
They don't usually breathalyze you when you've been stopped for a broken taillight. I believe (not certain) that Colorado has an implied consent law, but I have never been breathalyzed when stopped for anything. They usually wait until they smell alcohol on your breath or have some other reason to believe you've been drinking.

I would hope they would have probable cause, but advocates seem to have no questions eroding all basic rights.

Well. Here is a BAC calculator. You can see that you don't need a lot to drink before impairment is possible.

Blood Alcohol Content Calculator - The Police Notebook

I'm not sure "all those things", e.g. having a cold, thinking about a vacation, etc. have been proven to be more dangerous than drinking. I somehow doubt it.
I have no proof of degree of impairment, but I do know many accidents have been caused by those things and many others, but we allow people to have issues and still drive.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
We can't do anything about what people are thinking when they drive, but we can control for drinking.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We can't do anything about what people are thinking when they drive, but we can control for drinking.
It is not illegal to have a small amount of alcohol in a person's system. If you would like to arrest every person having a beer or wine while out to dinner you can fight for that despite the fact that studies show those people aren't a danger. Why not just return prohibition?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:27 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
People who have not touched a drop of alcohol all day kill far more children, wipe out far more families, and put far more people in wheelchairs than all the supposedly drunk drivers everywhere. And that's if "drunk" is defined (as it usually is in such statistics) as having a BAC of .01 or higher and if that standard is applied to any involved driver, cyclist, or pedestrian, whether at fault or not. If I've had two beers in two hours after work and am quite ordinarily walking to mass transit to get myself home when some distracted cellphone-talker runs me down, that's an alcohol-related fatality if I die of my injuries.

People tend to forget that there is an underlying risk for any driver to become the cause a fatal accident, that such risk is defined by a complex interaction of factors, and that some of those are factors that modest amounts of alcohol may actually help to reduce.

People tend as well to forget that the largest proportion of DUI arrests results from dragnets set up around whatever hour the local closing time for bars is. Got a license plate bulb burned out at 2:15 am? You'll be pulled over. Can I see your license and registration, sir? Have you been drinking this evening, sir? Would you step out of the car please, sir? Pop! The scene is repeated dozens of times over every night of the week. Meanwhile, there is ZERO police presence at 6:15 pm (i.e., right after Happy Hour) because a traffic stop of any kind at that hour would cause a ten-mile traffic backup. Essentially, these laws (questionable to begin with) are being enforced against one segment of the population (those who get off work at 11:30 pm...think restaurant workers, for example) and not at all against another (those who get off work at 4:30 pm...think office workers, for example). Is that an example of justice?

Then you've got your C-D posters who seem to think that a person who does something at 2:30 in the morning (when there is very little other traffic on the roads) is a horrible monster, while a person who does exactly the same thing at 6:30 in the evening (when there is lots and lots of other traffic on the roads) is nothing but an honorable citizen. Is that an example of good sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies