Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 11:39 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransom View Post
Another brainwashed person by MADD. Sir you have no brain!
How is that brainwashing? It's fact that a single alcoholic drink has an affect. You may not even notice it, but it's there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 11:41 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
They are not just MAD Mothers anymore. They are a very organized, power hungry and money making machine. Their objective is no longer to protect the public from drunk drivers, but to destroy America!
You are correct when referring to MADD. The original founder of the organization left for this very reason.....

360degrees: MADD is out of control

Old 10-06-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Sorry, I don't have sympathy for alcoholics, as they have chosen to be that way. I feel damned sorry for your family though.
My family is all dead anyways, but I have changed my ways. Remember, I never injured or murdered anyone. I saw the light before it was too late.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:47 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Here is the problem with what you are saying. A DUI already destroy's one life financially. Back when I got my first DUI in 2000, I was a delivery driver. I had my own apartment, and paid all my bills. Someone ran into my car, and I got a DUI. I wound up homeless because of it. Now, since I had no money, and could not survive, I had to take up stealing to survive. Luckily, I never got caught, but when you take away someone's livelihood because of a DUI, YOU might become a victim of it.
It would be best for you to stay out of texas.... we have very liberal gun laws and we frown on theves.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
It would be best for you to stay out of texas.... we have very liberal gun laws and we frown on theves.
Yes, and at the time I had a gun too, so what is your point? Arizona ALSO has very liberal gun laws. I got involved with some bad people when I was homeless. I was also very desperate, and desperate times call for desperate measures. However, that was a LONG time ago. I work the other side of the fence now. I am a security guard, and have been for years.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:13 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Another brainwashed person by MADD. Sir you have no brain!
Nope, you are incorrect. The fact is, I actually know very little about MADD.

The other fact is, one drink DOES alter the brain -

Now, you may of course continue to personally attack me ("no brain" comment), or simply acknowledge that you are mistaken.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:28 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
I have no problem with stiffer penalties for people found guilty of driving drunk. I do have issues with people arrested for DUI who weren't actually driving. I also recognize the danger of people on non-motorized vehicles such as bikes or skateboards mixing with vehicles after they've been drinking, but I don't think they should be charged with DUI, I think other charges such as reckless endangerment and public intoxication should suffice.

I also have no problem with lowering the threshold, but there needs to be recognition of the fact that drinking isn't the only activity or condition that impacts driving skills. I live in an area where the retiree population is very well represented. And for some of the elderly, it isn't just age impacting their motor skills that is the problem. I've seen people in the right-hand land decide they want to turn left and cross six lanes of traffic to collide with another car, and then have the nerve to tell the police officer, well, they had their turn signal on.

There is a range of skill and ability that is accepted to legally operate a motor vehicle. So I think that deserves some consideration when we are discussing appropriate penalties for DUI's.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:46 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I have no problem with stiffer penalties for people found guilty of driving drunk. I do have issues with people arrested for DUI who weren't actually driving. I also recognize the danger of people on non-motorized vehicles such as bikes or skateboards mixing with vehicles after they've been drinking, but I don't think they should be charged with DUI, I think other charges such as reckless endangerment and public intoxication should suffice.

I also have no problem with lowering the threshold, but there needs to be recognition of the fact that drinking isn't the only activity or condition that impacts driving skills. I live in an area where the retiree population is very well represented. And for some of the elderly, it isn't just age impacting their motor skills that is the problem. I've seen people in the right-hand land decide they want to turn left and cross six lanes of traffic to collide with another car, and then have the nerve to tell the police officer, well, they had their turn signal on.

There is a range of skill and ability that is accepted to legally operate a motor vehicle. So I think that deserves some consideration when we are discussing appropriate penalties for DUI's.
I agree with your post

However, part of the problem, with regard to those who have not been drinking but are otherwise impaired, is the lack of a reasonable public transportation option. This is particularly true with regard to elderly people. Where I live, there are quite a lot of retired people and yet the nearest store - a convenience store, not a proper supermarket - is 2 miles away. The nearest supermarket is 4 miles away.

So, a holistic approach to the problem also needs to take into account public transportation infrastructure.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:07 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Ok, so innocent people should be charged with DUI's because you are angry at DUI repeat offenders who cause fatal accidents? Is that what you're saying?
I clearly said that people who choose to drink and drive should suffer. They are not innocent victims; they are people who are being stupid and are endangering us all. Plenty of truly innocent people pay the ultimate price for their stupidity.

Do you seriously think only repeat offenders cause deadly alcohol involved accidents? It seems the terminally drunk can hold themselves together better than the occasional drinker who just doesn't want to leave his car at the bar overnight. Either way, it only takes once for something bad to happen, so the first time should hurt...a lot.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:12 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I clearly said that people who choose to drink and drive should suffer. They are not innocent victims; they are people who are being stupid and are endangering us all. Plenty of truly innocent people pay the ultimate price for their stupidity.

Do you seriously think only repeat offenders cause deadly alcohol involved accidents? It seems the terminally drunk can hold themselves together better than the occasional drinker who just doesn't want to leave his car at the bar overnight. Either way, it only takes once for something bad to happen, so the first time should hurt...a lot.
His point is that there are people who are not driving drunk who get arrested for DUI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies