Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 09:37 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Now if we can just find a way to comfortably jam that UV light up your butt to kill Covid internally like Trump was suggesting .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
And more than that, safely AND effectively. The penetration of the spectra of UV that have antimicrobial properties is quite superficial. The lungs are three-dimensional networks made up of millions of small branches that terminate in microscopic air sacs, where pneumonia wreaks havoc. To think you can just throw bleach or “get UV in the body” to treat a viral infection (without harming the host) is ... hmmm... I’ll be generous and say wishful thinking. People excited about these probably shouldn’t learn that boiling water for prolonged periods kills pathogens. They might try to, you know, get it in the body.

I’m really fascinated (and would be amused, if the consequences weren’t so immediate and harmful) by the mindset of some of these very rabid Trump fans. The lengths they go to disprove the idiocy of Trump, even when doing so requires a complete rejection of reality and sanity, really suggest some sort of pathology.
https://nurse.org/articles/uv-light-...virus-covid19/ Not "up your butt" but same thing. Laugh at Trump all you want, but it's actually being studied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 09:39 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Yes but not inside your body because it could kill you, just looking at it can cause cataracts.

Hospitals and clinics use ultraviolet light all the time to kill contaminate in the air. Problem is they either need to be mounted high and out of direct view to protect eyes, or turned on and left in an empty room.

Neither one of those solutions involve zapping ultraviolet light into someone’s body to kill a germ., that is what Trump proposed.

So no he was dead wrong. He heard about ultraviolet use from somewhere and ran with it instead of asking one of the many docs he has access to.
Exactly. You can’t zap people.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:42 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
And yet the moronic left mocked Trump for suggesting it be tried here in America!

https://www.jpost.com/health-science...-spread-632484
Is this the first time you have heard of Uv-C?

I use Uv-C in my shop precisely to combat the virus. It is dangerous, don't look into it or stand in it's glow, because it will burn you up. I have it on remote switches and use it in unoccupied rooms. I considered timers but I am afraid that something might go wrong and turn on unexpectedly.

Our idiot in chief Trump was suggesting using lights like that inside the human body. That would not be possible even in a decade of research and development, maybe not in 100 years. ... and not a practical solution to a crises we are currently in. The man was just expounding pure nonsense BS off the top of his head. Really crazy talk, I was embarrassed for him.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:58 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,576,990 times
He wasn't suggesting any of those treatments. He was repeating, inaccurately, what he had heard scientists were trying. It's not the POTUS's job to be a virologist or have a Phd in any of the things his experts have. He needs to be a good communicator and that's what he was doing. Communicating a hopeful message to the people. Sheesh.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:02 AM

15,839 posts, read 6,543,563 times
The OP is incorrect. Here is the original quote:

Quote:
Trump: "I hope people enjoy the sun, and if it has an impact, that’s great. I’m just hearing this, not really for the first time. I mean, there’s been a rumor, a very nice rumor, that you go outside in the sun or you have heat, and it does have an effect on other viruses. But now we get it from one of the great laboratories of the world, I have to say. Covers a lot more territory than just this. This is probably an easy thing, relatively speaking, for you.

"I would like you to speak to the medical doctors to see if there’s any way that you can apply light and heat to cure. You know? If you could? And maybe you can, maybe you can’t. Again, I say maybe you can, maybe you can’t. I’m not a doctor. But I’m a person that has a good… You know what. Deborah, have you ever heard of that? The heat and the light relative to certain viruses, yes, but relative to this virus?"

Dr. Deborah Birx: "Not as a treatment. I mean, certainly fever is a good thing. When you have a fever, it helps your body respond. But, I’ve not seen heat or light as a —"

Trump: "I think that’s a great thing to look at. OK?"
No, UV-C light is not being used to cure patients. It was being explored as a means to stop the spread, and that was well before DJT came up with this "idea"??? He's not actually saying anything about UV; it's mostly blather. Like a question from an eighth grader in basic science class.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
... He needs to be a good communicator and that's what he was doing. ...
No, that is precisely what he was not doing.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:18 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The OP is incorrect.
He won't let that stop him.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:23 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
He wasn't suggesting any of those treatments. He was repeating, inaccurately, what he had heard scientists were trying. It's not the POTUS's job to be a virologist or have a Phd in any of the things his experts have. He needs to be a good communicator and that's what he was doing. Communicating a hopeful message to the people. Sheesh.
Incorrect.

He was not being a good communicator (look at all the confusion, evident even on this forum from his fans).

He was not giving a hopeful message. Giving false and/or misleading information during a pandemic is not giving hope. If you have a loved one dying from metastatic cancer and a friend casually tells you he heard some mushroom in South America can kill cancer cells, I would not call that a hopeful message.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:29 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
And yet the moronic left mocked Trump for suggesting it be tried here in America!

Uh, wasn't Dear Leader's moronic idea putting that light inside the body? Hardly the same as what the cited article's about. Did you even bother reading it?

Old 06-24-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post

So no he was dead wrong. He heard about ultraviolet use from somewhere and ran with it instead of asking one of the many docs he has access to.
I am guessing he saw a blueish glow coming out of a white house bathroom and asked the custodian what was going on. The rest is, as they say, history ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies