Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2020, 07:36 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Weren't they chasing him because they claimed he was a trespasser? Now the McMichaels supporters are saying that all Arbery had to do was Trespass to avoid the McMichaels?

Now we are back to, why should he have had to avoid the McMichaels? Why should he have to submit to them?

I know that I wouldn't have.
Bolded. I never thought of this before. Great point, there.

In the previous thread, there were several McMichaels supporters that said trespassing was against "natural" law. This versus man's law. They argued that this was why Arbery's crime was so agregious, because he was trespassing and committing a crime against natural law. Now, they're saying all Arbery had to do was commit trespassing to get away from the McMichaels. LOL

In other words, the right wingers here are bending over backward to make leaps in logic to argue their case. I think it is pretty pathetic if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 08:56 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
I'm no supporter of any party to this affair, just a supporter of truth. The facts speak for themselves and saying rubbish like he was boxed in is just nonsense that doesn't describe what happened.
Which facts do you refer? The GBI seems to feel that the facts indicate that MCMichaels did create the situation. Arbery did try to avoid them and between the McMichaels and their helper kept intercepting him. Call it what you like, but they weren't letting him go.

The absolute rubbish is anyone trying to paint the McMichaels as the victims or the good guys in this story.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:56 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Weren't they chasing him because they claimed he was a trespasser? Now the McMichaels supporters are saying that all Arbery had to do was Trespass to avoid the McMichaels?

Now we are back to, why should he have had to avoid the McMichaels? Why should he have to submit to them?

I know that I wouldn't have.
Arbery didn't have to avoid the McMichaels, that was part of the problem. They wanted him to stop and talk to them. He could've just talked to them civilly instead of continuing to give the impression he was fleeing and guilty. Arbery could have done just about anything. Just don't attack someone and try to take away their gun to presumably shoot them with it. That will earn you the Darwin award.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:09 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times
Quote:
I don't know what Arbery wanted when he went into that house. I don't know that he intended to do anything other than looks around. It is a fairly common practice.

The think is that the McMichaels din't know any of the above either, and yet they still took it upon themselves to chase the man. They chased him and did their best to coral him in. According to the GBI their partner may have even hit Arbery with his vehicle during the chase.

Who in this story had a reason to be afraid? The man on foot being chased by strangers in vehicles or the men with the guns chasing him?

In 1 video it looks like good ole Travis raised his gun and pointed it at Arbery.

Now some will defend the actions of the McMichaels. They will characterize them as Good men defending their neighborhood. They will refuse to admit that chasing a man you only suspect of maybe doing something is a bit odd. They might even admit that they should have called the police and let them handle it. That said they will still make excuses.

Excuses like they didn't do anything illegal.

They will ignore that, Arbery, as far as they knew, didn't anything more illegal than say jay walking.

They will also ignore that what McMichaels did is by far more odd than anything that they knew for a fact Arbery did.

They will say that all Arbery had to do was yield to the McMichaels. Who here would yield to men in 2 cars who are chasing them? Would those people say that their wife or daughter if being chased by strangers in 2 cars, should just yield? Nah I don't think so.

They will say stop being so quick to judge the McMichaels, they deserve a fair trial. They do this while disregarding the fact that the McMichaels were very quick to Judge Arbery. Let's be honest you don't chase a person the way they did unless you are pretty sure they deserve it.

I don't know that Arbery attacked them or acted in self defense. I leave that for a jury to decide. I will say that the McMichaels created the situation. They pushed it and they got a fairly predictable response.
If I were out on a run and went into some place that was under construction with no barriers, no trespassing signs and no one around, it would be because I needed to take a leak. For all anyone knows maybe he had to take a pizz and wanted some privacy. Maybe he was looking for one of those portable pzzers which are common on construction sites.

The fact is, he didn't commit any crime when the three yahoos decided to chase him around armed and in vehicles.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:51 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Arbery didn't have to avoid the McMichaels, that was part of the problem. They wanted him to stop and talk to them. He could've just talked to them civilly instead of continuing to give the impression he was fleeing and guilty. Arbery could have done just about anything. Just don't attack someone and try to take away their gun to presumably shoot them with it. That will earn you the Darwin award.
He didnt want to stop and talk to them at gunpoint.

He was under no obligation to talk to them.

It should have been clear to the McMichaels from the beginning he wasnt going to stop and talk to them.

They should have followed him at a safe speed/distance and called the police to let them know which direction they were going if it was that important to them.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

It should have been clear to the McMichaels from the beginning he wasnt going to stop and talk to them.

They should have followed him at a safe speed/distance and called the police to let them know which direction they were going if it was that important to them.
Daddy McMichael and his son, along with their side kick Roddie all thought in their own minds that they were the police. That's why they took matters into their own hands.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

Yeah, yeah the McMichaels should have done what is perfect, but Arbery should have just done whatever he pleases. Both sides acted unwise, but one side won the Darwin award. But let's blame it all on the other side.

The only thing I'm saying Arbery absolutely should have done is not attack McMichaels and attempt to take away his gun, that's why he was killed in self defense.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Daddy McMichael and his son, along with their side kick Roddie all thought in their own minds that they were the police. That's why they took matters into their own hands.
The McMichaels probably thought they had probable cause to make a citizen's stop/arrest, they probably thought Arbery would realize that and would cooperate, they probably thought if not and Arbery attacked them or drew a weapon they had a right to self defense.

I don't think the McMichaels had any criminal intent and Arbery didn't really think so either or Arbery would've quickly ran for cover instead of right at the McMichaels.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yeah, yeah the McMichaels should have done what is perfect, but Arbery should have just done whatever he pleases. Both sides acted unwise, but one side won the Darwin award. But let's blame it all on the other side.

The only thing I'm saying Arbery absolutely should have done is not attack McMichaels and attempt to take away his gun, that's why he was killed in self defense.
It's more like this incident where the guy initiates a confrontation and then shoots the guy. I bet we see pretty much the same thing happen to these three turds.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rs/2449313001/

Old 06-26-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto Jeff View Post
And if they wanted to do that civilly, they wouldn't have been racist idiots and pointed guns at him.

They initiated. They murdered. THey deserve to rot. Anyone who thinks otherwise at this point is just as racist as they are.
If Arbery had been white, I'd say the same thing he was killed in self defense and earned the Darwin award. Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies