Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 09:27 AM

174 posts, read 61,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I have read quite a few books about racism. I overall liked 'How to be an anti racism'. At same time I also checked out White Fragility from the library and started reading it next. I had high hopes for the book but it was complete trash. Basically because some Whites have done bad things all Whites for the rest of history should feel ashamed and have no right to any pride in any part of their culture. Even White people whose ancestors had nothing to do with slavery or colonialism like Eastern Europeans.
My big problem with this notion of white fragility, despite the racism involved in judging an entire race negatively, is this narrative that people who have done nothing wrong are being held accountable for things that were done before they were born or by others but MEANWHILE others are allowed to loot, burn cities, attack and kill people and say some of the most racist things imaginable but they get a free pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 09:32 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I have read quite a few books about racism. I overall liked 'How to be an anti racism'. At same time I also checked out White Fragility from the library and started reading it next. I had high hopes for the book but it was complete trash. Basically because some Whites have done bad things all Whites for the rest of history should feel ashamed and have no right to any pride in any part of their culture. Even White people whose ancestors had nothing to do with slavery or colonialism like Eastern Europeans.
No member of my family with American birth had parents who immigrated here before 1876. Just farmers leaving various spots in Western Europe (Ireland, Netherlands and Sweden primarily) AFTER the US Civil War. On my dad's side, mostly dairy farming in Wyoming. On my mom's side, dairy/beef farming and some lumber milling in Pennsylvania.

And even using antebellum geography, nobody in my family back to 1876 ever came from a Confederate state or called one home for any lengthy period. Pretty much a northern/western family since any of my ancestors arrived in America.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:34 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm disgusted at the racism and sexism in this thread. I'm appalled at the misogynistic language. I'm repulsed by the dismissal of human beings merely for their gender or the color of their skin. I'm disheartened at the number of internet jockeys emboldened by anonymity who feel the need to belittle others to feel better about themselves.

So, yes, since you want to make it personal, you could say that I'm feeling "or something".

Why so fragile?

You are also simply reacting negatively to the other side of what your side has been dishing - and continues to dish - with absolute impunity. Against white people. Against men. Against America. Any pretense of the old classical liberal, JFK Democrats of lore is dead. Your flag is now firmly carried by absolute beastly women and simpering, weak men with horrid appearance and the rage of someone who had a brain injury and can't remember why they're angry anymore.

I'm sorry, but you whiny, hand wringing, weak willed leftists are an absolute CANCER on this society and on western civilization as a whole. You'll die before the fruits of the poisonous trees you're planting will bloom, however, so that's sad.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:36 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
White people are not supposed to criticize, argue or defend themselves against any and all manner of accusations lest they display their fragility. They are supposed to kneel and accept humiliation while they beg for forgiveness. Next they will be told to line up for beatings, and any attempt to defend themselves against violence is racism.
...and the beatings will continue until morale improves...

Old 06-25-2020, 09:47 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Whites are all fragile and racists. They are the inferior race. We need a final solution for the white question .

Old 06-25-2020, 09:48 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
I wouldn't waste my money or time.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:05 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I wouldn't waste my money or time.
In about a year and half you'll be able to buy the book for a quarter at a yard sale. May be just the thing to steady that wobbly table leg.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:10 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
IMO this book is another attempt to dismantle Western, traditionally Christian, culture.

Under attack for various lengths of time:

Western literature
classical music
the family
traditional marriage (and that is not an anti gay statement),
traditional gender constructs
men and masculinity
Monuments to historical figures (mostly white men)
Christopher Columbus and white imperialism/colonialism
Christmas
Christianity
Prayer in public places
The Boy Scouts
The national anthem
the American flag and patriotism
stay at home mothers (especially if white)
Police (law and order)
National borders

Attacking whiteness is another dimension to all of the above.

The goal is not and never has been "equality".

It's about taking from the people who "have" and redistributing to the people who "have not"...even if that something is as ephemeral as "privilege". It's Communism 101: dismantle traditions, sow discord and division among the masses, etc., under the LIE that this will raise people up. All this does is send 98% of people into poverty and misery, while enriching very, very few.

The goal is POWER.

Then when people rightfully want to cling to their traditions, they are accused by no less than the POTUS of being "bitter clingers." The racism accusation is to try to shame people into disavowingg their own traditions.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 06-25-2020 at 10:29 AM..

Old 06-25-2020, 10:25 AM

8,176 posts, read 6,925,948 times
I've read parts of it and saw interviews with Ms. DiAngelo.
Personally, I hate when a person looks at him or herself in the mirror, very deeply, doesn't like what they see in their own psyche/personality/soul and proceeds to write a book projecting all of their negative traits onto a whole group of people, in order to somehow rid themselves of the truth of their own horrid character.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:45 PM

174 posts, read 61,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I've read parts of it and saw interviews with Ms. DiAngelo.
Personally, I hate when a person looks at him or herself in the mirror, very deeply, doesn't like what they see in their own psyche/personality/soul and proceeds to write a book projecting all of their negative traits onto a whole group of people, in order to somehow rid themselves of the truth of their own horrid character.
Excellent point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies