Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 09:41 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

This is scary but it seems that you maybe "lucky enough" to contract Covid-19 twice. Around WrestleMania time, WWE announced that someone who worked the event was later found to be Covid-19 positive. Now two and a half months later, that worker said she is positive for Covid again. As Kayla Braxton says in her tweet, "don't be dumb like me."

https://twitter.com/KaylaBraxtonWWE/...090488320?s=19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 09:47 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I'm curious if she actually got it twice or if she's relapsing. My money's on the latter.

For many people, covid isn't a month of being sick and then done. It's a month of being sick, a few weeks of feeling better, 2 weeks of gasping to breathe again, a day of feeling better, a week of feeling sick, 3 weeks of feeling better, hitting you like a dump truck for another 4 days... and on and on.

During this time, many test positive because the test picks up dead virus still in your system. The continued illness isn't understood yet, but is likely a combination of inflammation and your body going haywire.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:58 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
This is nothing new. Around the first couple months, South Korea had many reports of people testing positive, appearing to get over the virus, then appearing to be sickened once again by the virus. This phenomena is not well enough understood to make any conclusions on what is happening. Is it possible the virus can hide in the body, remain dormant and resurge? That's what's being suggested but more research is needed to make any conclusions I would think.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:20 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
"Testing positive" isn't enough. How bad was this particular person each time? I know I've sometimes had back to back colds and respiratory infections.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:28 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Saw a story a few days ago about how antibodies don't last very long if you had a mild case. Puts a big wrinkle in the herd immunity concept.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:29 AM

424 posts, read 236,691 times
This is assuming that COVID tests are completely accurate all the time. They may not be.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm curious if she actually got it twice or if she's relapsing. My money's on the latter.

For many people, covid isn't a month of being sick and then done. It's a month of being sick, a few weeks of feeling better, 2 weeks of gasping to breathe again, a day of feeling better, a week of feeling sick, 3 weeks of feeling better, hitting you like a dump truck for another 4 days... and on and on.

During this time, many test positive because the test picks up dead virus still in your system. The continued illness isn't understood yet, but is likely a combination of inflammation and your body going haywire.
I'm wondering if she was asymptomatic and then got sick again. I'm not sure but she seems to think she actually did get it twice as per the tweet. What you mentioned about being sick with Covid-19 should hurt the existing Cares Act 14 day period for full pay if you are sick. After that it is 75% of pay. I also think we are only at the tip of the iceberg and there is a lot we do not know a lot about the virus even with all the medical breakthroughs from Polio in the 1950's, the AIDS pandemic, Ebola outbreak of 2014, etc.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:03 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Studies show that the antibodies disappear over a few months and thus make it more possible to catch it twice.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Saw a story a few days ago about how antibodies don't last very long if you had a mild case. Puts a big wrinkle in the herd immunity concept.
That it would. The biggest problem is the same as many issues, office chair QBs. Many people think they become "experts" by reading up on things. A lot of people say we should have gone with Sweden mainly because they did selective shutdowns. In reality, Sweden's economy did slowdown too and compared to other Norwegian countries, Sweden has higher case counts both in actual and per capita.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:08 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
"Testing positive" isn't enough. How bad was this particular person each time? I know I've sometimes had back to back colds and respiratory infections.
This.

The tests at this point, are pretty meaningless. They give off false positives and negatives. There was a story where a guy tested postive, then a few hours later, he tested negative.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/cob...st-hours-apart

Until the tests are more accurate, it's like ehhh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies