Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 12:29 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
I agree that white people are always helping black people, but you RARELY see black people helping white people. Except in medicine. Seems lopsided to me.
What do you mean by "helping"?

Old 06-26-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Speaking of museums, where is the White History Museum located? I know the Black History Museum is on the Washington (need to change the name) Monument grounds in DC.
Right here: https://www.si.edu/museums/american-history-museum

The "Black History Museum" is actually named the National Museum of African American History and Culture. What's your suggestion for a new name?

Old 06-26-2020, 12:36 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Speaking of museums, where is the White History Museum located? I know the Black History Museum is on the Washington (need to change the name) Monument grounds in DC.
I know what you’re saying. There is no White Student Union at my college, no Jewish History Month, etc. But you have to decide what hill to die on, and this isn’t it (IMO). Where I draw the line is where it really penalizes white people, like with the Reparations talk. And after working in an admissions-related position, I think it’s time to abolish Affirmative Action and replace it with a race-blind SES system.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
If America were divided into two countries by race, even if Blacks were given the best part, in no time they would be trying to join the White country while their own country slid into chaos and ruin.

They may hate us but they still count on us to maintain Western Civilization.
Western civilization couldn't exist in the absense of colonization so let's not talk about who is counting on who. And contrary to the narrative, there were many functioning and flourishing pre-colonial societies located on the African continent, including sub-Saharan Africa. Colonization is what made it all go to $&#%.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I know what you’re saying. There is no White Student Union at my college, no Jewish History Month, etc. But you have to decide what hill to die on, and this isn’t it (IMO). Where I draw the line is where it really penalizes white people, like with the Reparations talk. And after working in an admissions-related position, I think it’s time to abolish Affirmative Action and replace it with a race-blind SES system.
Jewish American Heritage Month is May.

Do you consider the staggering amount of money the U.S. has poured into so-called nation building and international aid over the past several decades a "penalty" for White people?

You can go with a "race blind" system but don't pretend that it's intended to right any historical wrong or that it would equitable in any meaningful way.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:49 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Western civilization couldn't exist in the absense of colonization so let's not talk about who is counting on who. And contrary to the narrative, there were many functioning and flourishing pre-colonial societies located on the African continent, including sub-Saharan Africa. Colonization is what made it all go to $&#%.
So if America was divided into 2 countries by race, right now, the black section would flourish?

Blacks would not try to move to the "white" country???

I would be all for it. How about you?

Old 06-26-2020, 12:53 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I’m so glad we agree on something. I knew you couldn’t be wrong ALL the time!

But you’re right. We’d have to do it NOW before they are all destroyed. But in addition to that, it would have to be on federal land where the military could guard it. You saw what that angry black poster upthread said....that he’d like the idea of a museum because he could burn the entire place down in one fell swoop.
Meh, keyboard warriors say a lot of things...

Old 06-26-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
So if America was divided into 2 countries by race, right now, the black section would flourish?

Blacks would not try to move to the "white" country???

I would be all for it. How about you?
This was already tried. "Separate but equal"...remember?

Old 06-26-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Jewish American Heritage Month is May.

Do you consider the staggering amount of money the U.S. has poured into so-called nation building and international aid over the past several decades a "penalty" for White people?

You can go with a "race blind" system but don't pretend that it's intended to right any historical wrong or that it would equitable in any meaningful way.
I had no clue about a Jewish American Month. They sure don’t run ads on TV about it. And nobody ever mentioned it in all the years (decades) I’ve gone to synagogue. Who knew?!

And of course a race-blind admissions system, in which high-achieving students from their own schools and from modest financial backgrounds would get a hand up, would be equitable. But I never said it’s to right a historical wrong - that’s been done for 40 years already. Time to move on to a race-blind system in which all exceptional, but poori(ish) kids get a chance.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Meh, keyboard warriors say a lot of things...
Well, maybe THAT guy. But based on the anarchy and destruction of statues we’ve seen thus far, you don’t think some angry activists would try to burn the place down? That’s why it would have to be on federal land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies