Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 04:52 PM

1,348 posts, read 706,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
We see what's going on. Wearing masks is now completely politicized.
Estimates are 31% of Americans identity as Democrats, 30% identified as Republican, and 36% as Independent or unaffiliated.

So potentially 100 million people won't wear masks

O.k. given this reality prevention or trying to "flatten the curve" is not happening in America.
There are too many rebels to go the route of Europe.

There are other threads debating the efficacy of wearing the masks. Let's not debate that here.
We can see the writing on the wall, too many people are against masks for political reasons for them ever to be a solution.
And if a vaccine miraculously arrives the same people against wearing masks are going to be against taking the vaccine.

It's going to be herd immunity in America, the handwriting is on the wall. That is what we are looking at. We're going Brazil

So please give me a projected death count and point in time when we will reach herd immunity, thanks

what is the cost going to be? Will I survive this?

worst outbreak in the world

Old 06-25-2020, 04:53 PM

610 posts, read 264,076 times
Your implication that anyone who votes Republican is automatically against masks and that there is 100% mask compliance among everyone that votes Democrat is a bit absurd.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:18 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times
Do the Democrats really think that they can go back to saying “stay home! Lock down! Close your businesess! You’re spreading coronavirus!!”

After they encouraged & incited race riots over the last month?

Old 06-25-2020, 05:20 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
I don't care if masks are mandated or not.
I'm going to wear one if I have to go get into a crowd no matter what the law says or not.

If there is no mandate, all that means to me is I'll be wearing a mask longer than I would have otherwise.

Why? Because I don't want my butt kicked by a bad disease. Even if I'm tested and have antibodies, I'll still wear a mask. Because new viruses mutate a lot.

I have a Constitutional right to wear one anywhere, at any time, I choose. I'm not going to depend on what anyone says about herd immunity. My health is mine alone, and only I am responsible for it.

If someone else wants to expose themself to the disease, they aren't my problem.

...Except for some bone-headed friends who I know won't wear one. I plan on sending them a mess of flowers when they're in the hospital.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:26 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,457 times
There are going to be deaths

From the virus
From economic collapse
From the civil unrest that has resulted from the mass psychosis from the lockdown
From delayed vaccinations--especially in developing nations
From delayed cancer screenings and operations
From the mental distress from the lockdown, such as addiction, eating disorders, and suicide
From stress related illnesses resulting from personal economic devastation--heart disease, cancer, etc.

We should try for a strategy that saves the most lives across ALL of these categories. That probably will not include a severe lockdown again. Masks and voluntary self-limiting of behavior (especially for the high risk) seems a way to balance all factors.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:39 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
America has not "chosen", any more than someone not changing his oil "chose" for his engine to seize.

America can't be bothered to make a responsible, adult choice.

WTF happened? This is the country that turned itself into Democracy's Arsenal and put a man on the Moon. Now? Six-week attention span, if that.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:46 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
1 to 2 million would be roughly 0.3-0.6%.

But I think death rate will likely increase a lot more because hospitals will be overwhelmed and unable to provide care to people who could have otherwise survived. You'll have the healthcare system in this nation fall apart and people just dying in their beds at home, or basically just getting hospice care due to lack of supplies.

So, if the save rate in hospitals is let's say 66%, then bump some part of that total up but they factor; would need to know more about hospital capacity to make a more sophisticated model.

But worst case you're now talking like 1.66 to 3.32.

And that's not factoring in how many people with other severe conditions will die sure to not receiving treatment from and overwhelmed healthcare system.

That's the part of all-out herd immunity that is scary.. When hospitals are too swamped to function.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:29 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
With no lockdowns in the way we could have herd immunity within months. Far more of us have already been exposed than we know. Nature will fix this. Herd immunity will come before any vaccine will.

For those who believe we should have been locked in our homes for 18 months I ask How could you make this happen. How do you keep 300 million at home that long? It would take a very heavy handed government to do it.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:31 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Since no one knows how a novel virus will morph, well no one knows.

That’s the great unknown. The ‘Spanish Flu’ is unfortunately the best guidebook.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:36 PM

424 posts, read 236,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
With no lockdowns in the way we could have herd immunity within months. Far more of us have already been exposed than we know. Nature will fix this. Herd immunity will come before any vaccine will.

For those who believe we should have been locked in our homes for 18 months I ask How could you make this happen. How do you keep 300 million at home that long? It would take a very heavy handed government to do it.
I'm okay with the heavy-handed China approach. But this fickle approach that we've been doing is stupid and seems to be making the situation as a whole much worse.

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies