Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 08:57 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
My sister in law had a coworker in their 40s die in NYC from it. I also have a friend whos whole family had it but only with mild symptoms so it's kinda all over the map but it's the real deal and not worth rolling the dice if you can just wear a stupid mask.
This is so the bottom line - just wear the f'ing mask whether YOU believe in it or not. You have to be entirely stupid to believe it does nothing to help the spread, an d if everyone wore one (for now) the economy could open up much quicker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 09:18 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Here's the problem with that logic. In NYC the average number of deaths during the peak of the outbreak was 6 times higher than normal. So even if they were counting the cancer patients where did all those other dead people come from if it wasn't a direct result of the virus?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...york-city.html

...the more you know

NYC is a microcosm.

Millions of people packed into a few square miles like sardines......Mass transit, high rise buildings with common air circulation systems.

Something like half of all the cases in America and deaths are from NYC.......it can hardly be held up as an example of anything except the case against urban living.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Caution is my mindset.

I am behaving more cautiously in my dealings with people out in public, keeping face coverings handy, washing my hands more, limiting my interactions.

I am cautious about making any assumptions about the virus, and about just blindly accepting any news reports or predictions about what is going to happen with this virus. I listen to the experts, but with the caveat that this is a new virus, and that experts are making educated guesses, but educated or not, it's still a lot of guesswork. We have so much to learn about this virus, why some people don't experience any symptoms and others die, whether having it gives you immunity and the nature of that immunity, whether other illnesses are connected to this virus, whether a vaccine will really work.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:29 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Are you a believer?
Is it a hoax?
Is it overblown?
Not doing enough?
Sick of it? ------- this is probably the most obvious for everyone
Are behind all the steps being taken?
Are you nervous about being out in public?
Are the case counts accurate?
Media fed fear?

This has been a first for a majority of person living in this world. Most have never lived through such a pandemic, with the Spanish Flu being the closest in comparison which happened over a century ago. Never in my lifetime did I imagine a disease basically shutting down the globes economy. Months of closure, and now some openings but with great restriction.

I believe the reality of the virus. I believe the only reason the death rate isn't much higher is because of the extreme steps the globe took to combat it. Although I felt that some states opened up way too fast and way too soon (evidenced by uptick in positive cases), it's too late for many businesses. Not sure how a recession will be fended off. I wear a mask in public, because i think it puts a majority of people at ease. It's not just about prevention, but it's also seeing that everyone has suffered and compromised, and that when people go out they have a better sense of protection seeing people wearing masks. It's the strangest feeling this virus has thrown onto the world. Vacations canceled with industries like cruises being shut down until at least the fall. Can't find a pool because so many are altering their lives just to stay at home. I am cautious going out being I am 60 y.o. with asthma and a history of respiratory issues (i.e. had pneumonia 10 years in a row between the ages of 45-55).

I am sick of this virus. I wish 2020 would go away, accentuated by the racism movement and protests and people in general acting whack. At the end of the day, I will lean towards believing what the medical side says (Fauci etc). I'm tired of people believing this is a political thing to affect the upcoming election in the US as that would mean the entire globe is in on it. I accept the fact that even if it ends up being a small change, there is a new normal and that life as we knew it up through 2019 will not exist again.
I think in many ways the virus and racism are a lot alike. Many people think both are a hoax. Many people think both are overblown. Many people dismiss it because they have never experienced it or do not know anyone who has. Many people think they know more than the experts. Like the virus, people can be racist and not know that they have it....thus spreading their infection.

I personally think that BOTH are very real issues and threats. I am sick of hearing about both because most of the information is not educational....but emotional. I am tired of hearing about the statistics. I want to know how to prevent it.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:08 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
It is but just a taste of what's to come.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:12 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
The virus itself is not a hoax.

But it's definitely overblown.

Numbers are being fudged.

Being used as a political weapon.
Not overblown, the opposite. But yes, Trump openly admitted to slowing down testing, so he is effectively fudging numbers for political purposes. It's been obvious from the start.

Trump said he wants to keep Grand Princess cruise passengers on the ship so that US coronavirus numbers don't 'double.'

Old 06-26-2020, 12:14 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,665,707 times
I am not scared of coronovirus, as God is who determines when/where you are going to die, when its your time to go you are going if you are at home, in a car, or in a hospital bed. The virus is a political tool to divide people at this point. The liberal hypocrisy in dealing with it is astounding. My states governor is now "requiring" masks even though I know people arent going to comply and there no way my state will pass a statute making it law; thus people are not forced to comply. It is only going to make people fight each other more since the racist fight didn't escalate things as high as the top level Democrats would have liked.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:47 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times
My feeling is people are trying to ignore this virus. States are reopening, people are going about their business like there is nothing out there to worry about. Then all of a sudden, crazy high surges in some states, and TX and FL are closing their bars. Again. Proof that Covid-19 is going to do what its going to do. It's going to run it's course, and it's up to everyone to mitigate the spread as much as they can. Wear a mask. Socially distance. Because Covid don't care.

Old 06-26-2020, 01:06 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
I'm one of those people who never gets sick other than an occasional cold, I've never had the flu and I don't get a flu shot. Still, I take this pandemic seriously. I'm 68 and a smoker, so it would be rough if I caught it. I'll keep wearing a mask and will socially distance until it's over. I'm more worried about what it's done to the economy, my retirement account is off about 200 grand.

Old 06-26-2020, 01:10 PM

653 posts, read 221,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
NYC is a microcosm.

Millions of people packed into a few square miles like sardines......Mass transit, high rise buildings with common air circulation systems.

Something like half of all the cases in America and deaths are from NYC.......it can hardly be held up as an example of anything except the case against urban living.
What about NJ then? What about Massachusetts then? What about Illinois then? What about Michigan then? What about Pennsylvania then? High death tolls per population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies