Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 05:07 PM

19,903 posts, read 8,793,438 times

Advertisements

ACA for a family of four--deductibles and premiums averages 25K a year.....why don't more people sign up for Obama's best effort to provide insurance for the masses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 05:22 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,486,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
ACA for a family of four--deductibles and premiums averages 25K a year.....why don't more people sign up for Obama's best effort to provide insurance for the masses?
87% of healthcare.gov applicants qualify for subsidies, so don't pay that premium.

When making observations about why people do or don't sign up, wouldn't it make more sense to look at what they actually pay when subsidies are applied, since subsidies are one of the basic tenets of ACA to make it affordable to the masses?

Old 06-30-2020, 06:23 PM

6,916 posts, read 3,890,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post

Under Obamacare, someone earning $60,000 pays $900 a month for the same policy that the $35,000 earner pays $80 a month. That was a big part of the problem: that in the Democrats’ fervor to practically give away the store to lower earners, they had to shift the costs to the middle earners. The only way to resolve it is to make the lower income pay more of their premium so the middle earner can afford insurance too, but Democrats would vote that down. Their sole interest is the lower earner.
I can tell you have no clue what you are talking about regarding ACA premiums. $900 is the current premium for a lower priced Platinum plan, which has no deductible and a $2K maximum out of pocket.

Someone making $35K would be qualifying for a subsidy (Advance Premium Tax Credit) if they are in a household of one, and there is no way they would be receiving an $820 subsidy to lower that $900 to $80. It's mathematically impossible, because 9.86% of the total household income subtracted from the 2nd lowest cost Silver level plan available to the applicant is how they calculate the amount of the tax credit. That's assuming that percentage is lower than the Silver plan premium; if it's higher, the APTC ends up being $0.

They're more likely to enroll into a Bronze or Silver plan, which have lower premiums than Platinum or Gold, but the deductible and max OOP are both going to be higher.

Last edited by ContraPagan; 06-30-2020 at 06:32 PM..

Old 06-30-2020, 06:25 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,663,195 times
Worthless Biden says he is going to bring back the Individual Mandate for health insurance.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:04 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,778,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
the problem is that individuals don't want to pay for it.
Go look at Vermont's failed effort.

Add 18-20% new payroll tax and yes..you too can have universal insurance.
You think all those other nations have free health insurance ?

My employer is already paying 15% of my salary for health insurance. (for wife and I)

annual policy for wife and me $15,000 (I pay 30% of that so I pay $4,500) employer net is $10,500 per year which equals 15% of my salary.

Looks like we already have a tax.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:06 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,358,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
My employer is already paying 15% of my salary for health insurance. (for wife and I)

annual policy for wife and me $15,000 (I pay 30% of that so I pay $4,500) employer net is $10,500 per year which equals 15% of my salary.

Looks like we already have a tax.
Bingo! Plus, - you're also paying taxes.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:22 PM

25,170 posts, read 12,317,093 times
More Amercians right now are uninsured than when ACA was inacted. It will take time for me to prove this, but when enough time passes, I'll be back.

Americans are paying a lot more for coverage, in some cases 2x more than in 2013.

ACA failed.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:48 AM

58,431 posts, read 26,762,925 times
Wrong.

The Community Rating Scheme is used.

Singles pay higher rates to subsidize Married, Married w/Children and Elderly.

Married pay higher rates (but less than Singles) to subsidize Married w/children and Elderly.

Risk played ZERO role except with respect to a pre-existing condition.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
A good argument for national health care, like all of the other advanced nations.

Attachment 221623
"A good argument for national health care, like all of the other advanced nations."

Looks like you didn't read this post:

"[quote=Mircea;58509756]Let us examine those bright shining examples.

COVID-19 deaths per Million...

USA: 388 - Private
Britain: 642 - Government-run. NHS is broke and Brits are holding fund-raising events to raise money.
Spain: 606 - Government-run. Spain spent less than the true cost of healthcare
Italy: 575 - Government-funded. Italy spent less than the true cost of healthcare
France: 456 - Government-funded.
Sweden: 523 - Government-run.
Belgium: 840 - Government-funded. Belgium spent less than the true cost of healthcare.

Your odds of survival are much better in the US."

Old 07-01-2020, 05:55 AM

58,431 posts, read 26,762,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I can't even by a policy that's equivalent to a group plan as an individual. So fair, so equal. A lot few people have ins through their employer than they have in the past so the HAVE'S are protecting what's theirs and the HAVE NOTS are paying way more for way less.

Do you think it's right and good to handcuff people to a specific job forever because it's probably the only way they can keep their coverage? I don't.
"Do you think it's right and good to handcuff people to a specific job forever because it's probably the only way they can keep their coverage"

If you graduate from high school with decent grades you have much better chance of getting a job that DOES provide health insurance from it's employees.

"and good to handcuff people" I've had several jobs in my lifetime and ALL provided health care insurance and was NEVER "handcuffed" by one employer.

Maybe your problem is, you aren't qualified to be hired by a company that provides health care insurance to ts employees.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:00 AM

17,383 posts, read 11,889,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
What about the millions who no longer have employer-provided health coverage because they are now unemployed?
They do what millions have done in the past - buy their own.

I was unemployed a year ago, long before the shut down, and long before unemployment paid a whopping $600 extra week.

I was just as unemployed as those during the shut down, but I managed to find gap health insurance during that time that was affordable, before I found a job that offered benefits. I paid for it with the unemployment pay I received, which was stretched by watching my pennies.

That extra $2400 a month, not to mention the stimulus money that was paid out, would go along way towards funding health insurance privately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies