Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 06:25 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times

Advertisements

I wear a mask because I want this Covid to go away, and it won’t until we all wear masks. Truly, it probably won’t go away until we lock down again for a couple months.

But the Trump types will never go for that, even though his handling of the Pandemic will cause Trump to lose the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 06:29 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I wear a mask because I want this Covid to go away, and it won’t until we all wear masks. Truly, it probably won’t go away until we lock down again for a couple months.

But the Trump types will never go for that, even though his handling of the Pandemic will cause Trump to lose the election.

When were we under lockdown? When did we have police checkpoint, national guard partoling the streets to make sure we all stayed inside our house etc? The reality is never and we will never have it. I personally never stayed at home during order of stay at home and i know many people that didn't either. Yes roads were much more empty but people were still getting together. The reality is in this country we will not have a real lockdown like ever.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:56 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
dont know about other but after about 12 second, it slips up into my cheek bones and covers the bottom of my eyes, I cant see, it pushes my glasses up

Old 07-17-2020, 09:09 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
"Just put on the damn mask! It's for your own good!"

A little later...

"Just take the vaccine! It's for your own good!"

Some time goes by...

"Just give them the damn gun! The government will protect you!"

Eventually...

"Just get in the boxcar."

Old 07-17-2020, 10:39 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
"Just put on the damn mask! It's for your own good!"

A little later...

"Just take the vaccine! It's for your own good!"

Some time goes by...

"Just give them the damn gun! The government will protect you!"

Eventually...

"Just get in the boxcar."

https://www.txstate.edu/philosophy/r...ery-Slope.html

Old 07-17-2020, 10:50 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
When were we under lockdown? When did we have police checkpoint, national guard partoling the streets to make sure we all stayed inside our house etc? The reality is never and we will never have it. I personally never stayed at home during order of stay at home and i know many people that didn't either. Yes roads were much more empty but people were still getting together. The reality is in this country we will not have a real lockdown like ever.
No one was "locked down", no one told you that you had to stay in the house, maybe you are getting the US confused with another country, maybe the Ukraine or Moldova?

Old 07-18-2020, 04:02 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No one was "locked down", no one told you that you had to stay in the house, maybe you are getting the US confused with another country, maybe the Ukraine or Moldova?
Governor Whitmer of Michigan came close.

Old 07-18-2020, 11:47 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Market Maven View Post
Some people are even wearing them while they sleep and engage in intimate activities according to official reports.

Or does that mean, doing so with one who is infected??

Old 07-19-2020, 12:18 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephariel View Post
Hilarious. Black people need to shut up and not resist police. But you can't wear a mask and follow rules. "I can't take a vaccine! It is too hard." Imagine if you actually have to do something hard.

Stop being a weak little Karen and wear the mask.

You people talk about fighting another Civil war. You can't even wear a mask, let alone fight a war.

When you wear a mask in 97 degree heat it's difficult to breathe easy.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:10 AM

13,642 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephariel View Post
Hilarious. Black people need to shut up and not resist police. But you can't wear a mask and follow rules. "I can't take a vaccine! It is too hard." Imagine if you actually have to do something hard.

Stop being a weak little Karen and wear the mask.

You people talk about fighting another Civil war. You can't even wear a mask, let alone fight a war.
Few people would actually have the wherewithal or courage to fight a war - civil or otherwise. That much is understood.

But what's less understood is a couple of thorny little facts. First, some of us have been wearing masks more or less regularly now for over 4 months. We didn't start last week, or only in Wal-Mart and Target. Leave house --> wear mask... since the middle of March. Do you see? 4 months of this. And who knows how many more?

Second, the situation is, that some public official - often an unelected one - makes a decree. Thou shalt do such-and-such. No referendum. No plebiscite. Typically no convening of a state legislature to place the matter to a vote. A governor or a mayor decides. Or more likely, an administrator decides. And the public is expected to comply. So, even if the directive makes perfect sense, and is done with full sincerity and for all of the right reasons, well, do you see how a segment of the populace might bristle with discontent?

Now let's return to the war-analogy. Enemy aircraft launch a sneak-attack on a US territory, killing thousands of American citizens. 1941. Replace "enemy aircraft", with "aircraft hijacked by enemies", and we have 2001. That's exactly what happened both times. Yes? The result was a righteous outrage and a call to action. Where are the enemy aircraft now?

We can't be on a war-footing, making warlike sacrifices, if there is no visible, palpable, sentient enemy. Viruses just don't measure up, to enemy-status, even if this virus ultimately kills 10 times as many people as those who died in WW2.

The impetus to take action, to comply with directives, is NOT proportional to the magnitude of the threat, but the intensity of the insult. pearl Harbor and the 9/11 attacks were grave and dastardly insults, and thus the response. Virus-laden passengers disembarking in JFK Airport from Europe or Asia, is just not something that constitutes an intense insult.

Consider the analogy with global warming. Global warming might ultimately kill billions, or ruin the lives of tens of billions... eventually. But there is no dastardly insult, no obvious enemy that wronged us. So, there's no urgency, no impetus to act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies