Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2020, 07:01 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
That means they are accepting this new lifestyle and it annoys me

It annoys me too. This is the zombie apocalypse we've been waiting for and they're the zombies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 07:04 PM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelinnen View Post
They're not my reasons, it is right there on the FDA site. Other medical professionals even go further:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372
Whatever makes you feel better though, that towel isn't protecting you.
I'm not sure how anything there contradicts what I posted, try reading it again.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The assumption behind masks, is that a sufficiently large fraction of viral-transmission, occurs via LARGE droplets, so that if our mitigation-methods only stop the large droplets, then we've already done a worthwhile thing.

With masks, the assertion is that whereas not ALL transmission is stopped, enough is stopped, that the R_o is brought down in a meaningful way... so, we gain a lot, for a comparatively small inconvenience. Yes?

The fracas and controversy enter once we start weighing costs and benefits. Yes, SOME lives will doubtless be saved, with any reduction in R_o. But how many? Yes, SOME inconvenience is incurred, by wearing a mask for 9 hours in the office in a 9-hour workday. But how much?
Do you now see the dilemma behind mandatory mask-wearing?
Nope I don't and neither did the people of Taiwan, New Zealand and Vietnam as well as some other Countries all of whom basically eradicated the virus through the use of masks, social distancing and contact tracing. Funny how it works for other countries but it's too much to ask of Americans isn'it? Maybe if we had a President who would encourage his followers to wear masks we could get these numbers to a controllable level dontcha think?

Old 07-07-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
I'm just tired of the Mask Nazi's.

Most don't have to mask 12 plus hours a day/night. A few hours here and there. Most never had to wear a N95 for 12 hours. It's stifling.

Now they're bitc** about schools being opening. Hey? put your kids in masks. It's ok to wear them for 8 long hours. Trust me, those kids will be sling tossing them suckers around the room.

I'm not claustrophobic. I take meds for seizures only, but after wearing masks 12 plus hours a night 4-5 nights a week, you really don't want to wear them everywhere.

As I've said many times, I wear when I need to - But I won't enter a place that requires.
Then wear a face shield, they provide a decent level of protection. I get so tired of the excuses and whining. If you can't wear an N95 for 12 hours plus then you should be talking to your employer about an alternative, although I'm not sure how much sympathy you will get - front line medical professionals have been wearing them daily for long periods for four months, I don't think any have died from wearing one.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You obviously have a legitimate reason not to wear a mask. However, when you cannot wear one perhaps you should stay at home. Have essentials delivered or do curb pickup. Would you even feel like going out?
good answer it's a nice twist on the canned response from the anti-mask crew who justify not wearing a mask by admonishing older or immunocompromised people to just stay home so that they the 'young and healthy' can go out and "enjoy life"

Old 07-07-2020, 07:23 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,956 times
Many people simply do not feel anyone should be able to tell them to wear something covering their face. Especially after reading material such as this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/world...rnd/index.html

Or this:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...ul-wash-hands/

But you see, the media believes we are all relatively stupid, and won't remember what was said just a few months ago. But we do remember, which is why many people see these new restrictions being brought down on them as useless. Not to mention the fact that this is America. It's in our genes to buck the system. For example, the governor of my state came out on July 2nd or 3rd, after pretty much all fireworks displays across the state had been cancelled, and told everyone not to have their own fireworks displays. This resulted in the loudest night I have ever has the privilege to live through on July 4th. More people were setting off fireworks than I've ever seen in my life. And from the reports I've read, this was true across the entire state. People are fed up with being told what they can do, say, wear, etc. The more people are pushed, the more they will push back.

Furthermore, in some states, such as my own, there are actual laws on the books prohibiting wearing face coverings in public. Laws that are not rendered null and void simply because the governor gives an emergency order. Any orders given to you that directly contradict existing laws do not have to be followed and can not legally be enforced. Period. And that includes orders given by a governor wielding "emergency" powers.

Now, in some of these states, state officials have come out and told us that "corona virus related" face coverings do not violate the law. But again, that is not within their power to say. Too many governors and state officials have gotten it into their heads that they currently wield "god like" power and are "above existing laws" which simply is not and never will be the case.

Bottom line, if you happen to live in one of the 18 states with existing laws against face coverings, you absolutely do not have to wear a mask in public. And for all those who would love to yell "businesses can do whatever they want" I must remind you that yes, private businesses can set their own rules. However, their rules must conform to the law. A business can not make you break the laws of the land in order to make you conform to their own policies.

PS. For the record, I do keep a mask with me and I will put it on if I am going into a busy grocery store or something like that. I don't always wear the mask, but I generally sort of make a judgement depending on where I am going weather I will wear the mask or not. And when I do wear one, I don't do it for myself. I've literally been in the thick of this thing from the beginning. I work 2 "essential" jobs so no "coronacation" for me. When I do wear the mask, I do it for other people. I realize there are some really scared folks out there. So if I'm going into a busy place I'll throw one on, just to make everyone feel a little safer. But again, that's my choice. I don't do it because someone ordered me too. I'm doing it for my fellow Americans peace of mind.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:30 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Many people simply do not feel anyone should be able to tell them to wear something covering their face. Especially after reading material such as this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/world...rnd/index.html

Or this:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...ul-wash-hands/

But you see, the media believes we are all relatively stupid, and won't remember what was said just a few months ago. But we do remember, which is why many people see these new restrictions being brought down on them as useless. Not to mention the fact that this is America. It's in our genes to buck the system. For example, the governor of my state came out on July 2nd or 3rd, after pretty much all fireworks displays across the state had been cancelled, and told everyone not to have their own fireworks displays. This resulted in the loudest night I have ever has the privilege to live through on July 4th. More people were setting off fireworks than I've ever seen in my life. And from the reports I've read, this was true across the entire state. People are fed up with being told what they can do, say, wear, etc. The more people are pushed, the more they will push back.

Furthermore, in some states, such as my own, there are actual laws on the books prohibiting wearing face coverings in public. Laws that are not rendered null and void simply because the governor gives an emergency order. Any orders given to you that directly contradict existing laws do not have to be followed and can not legally be enforced. Period. And that includes orders given by a governor wielding "emergency" powers.

Now, in some of these states, state officials have come out and told us that "corona virus related" face coverings do not violate the law. But again, that is not within their power to say. Too many governors and state officials have gotten it into their heads that they currently wield "god like" power and are "above existing laws" which simply is not and never will be the case.

Bottom line, if you happen to live in one of the 18 states with existing laws against face coverings, you absolutely do not have to wear a mask in public. And for all those who would love to yell "businesses can do whatever they want" I must remind you that yes, private businesses can set their own rules. However, their rules must conform to the law. A business can not make you break the laws of the land in order to make you conform to their own policies.

PS. For the record, I do keep a mask with me and I will put it on if I am going into a busy grocery store or something like that. I don't always wear the mask, but I generally sort of make a judgement depending on where I am going weather I will wear the mask or not. And when I do wear one, I don't do it for myself. I've literally been in the thick of this thing from the beginning. I work 2 "essential" jobs so no "coronacation" for me. When I do wear the mask, I do it for other people. I realize there are some really scared folks out there. So if I'm going into a busy place I'll throw one on, just to make everyone feel a little safer. But again, that's my choice. I don't do it because someone ordered me too. I'm doing it for my fellow Americans peace of mind.
These are the only places I wear a mask because I need my medicine and food to live

Rite Aid
Trader Joes
Uber

Old 07-07-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:

I disagree, States have the right NOT to enforce those laws and while I agree that they should announce that the fact that the law is on the books does not mean that they can't require you to wear a mask during a pandemic. Most states have specifications about when and under what conditions you are prohibited from wearing masks, such as with the intent to intimidate or to conceal your identity while committing a crime, only a few have a blanket ban on masks and the Governor can opt not to enforce those laws with an emergency order.
https://www.icnl.org/post/analysis/a...irst-amendment

If anyone is uncertain about the enforcement of an existing anti-mask law they should probably address their concern to their state representatives rather than simply decide they can't be forced to wear one.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:45 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Trumplings are adamant about their "freedom" to infect others.

https://youtu.be/7dFz4sJ5RPs

advisory: rough language from very upset Trumplings.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:44 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Because there is a bigger pandemic than COVID in the US, and that's the pandemic of stupidity. It is mind warping how a piece of cloth becomes a political issue when it minimally impacts your life. Stupidity reigns supreme.
That's what happens when a segment of society glorifies ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
It makes no difference if it got minimum impact on my life or not, i and many other people will not do what government tell us what to do.
You poor baby. Do you stop at stop signs? Pay your taxes? Buy insurance for your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
I'd love to stay home. The small organic co-op where I buy food cannot afford to do delivery and has not yet started curbside.
You are free to shop elsewhere with curbside pickup, until you're feeling well enough to wear a mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Do you now see the dilemma behind mandatory mask-wearing?
Nope, and for the very reason you stated:

They reduce transmission by reducing the volume of and distance traveled by water droplets emitted from our noses and mouths.

There is no real cost, other than a few bucks for a mask (unlike the 5-point harness, which has a high dollar cost). There is only inconvenience. To continue with your seat belt analogy: Seat belts also are an inconvenience. They ride up into my neck, they wrinkle my clothes, they're a pain in the butt to buckle sometimes. That doesn't negate their benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Lemons ... lemonade!
LOL, yes! Making the best of a bad situation. Why not have masks made of attractive fabrics?

I mean, the function of clothing is to cover our bodies and keep us warm and dry; the color and fit of the fabric matter very little. So why aren't we all running around in black sackcloth?

Not to mention: It's my choice to wear whatever color and print and style in a mask I want to wear! Freedom! 'Murica!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
That means they are accepting this new lifestyle and it annoys me
Awww. Poor little snowflakes can't adapt to a new lifestyle? You know what? If everyone wears a mask, we'll be wearing them for a shorter period.

Quote:
But you see, the media believes we are all relatively stupid, and won't remember what was said just a few months ago. But we do remember, which is why many people see these new restrictions being brought down on them as useless.
The media is correct, then, because there seem to be a large number of people in this country who have failed fifth grade biology, have no concept of physics, and who are unfamiliar with the scientific method.

Quote:
Not to mention the fact that this is America. It's in our genes to buck the system. For example, the governor of my state came out on July 2nd or 3rd, after pretty much all fireworks displays across the state had been cancelled, and told everyone not to have their own fireworks displays. This resulted in the loudest night I have ever has the privilege to live through on July 4th. More people were setting off fireworks than I've ever seen in my life.
And you're proud of that?

Quote:
So if I'm going into a busy place I'll throw one on, just to make everyone feel a little safer. But again, that's my choice. I don't do it because someone ordered me too. I'm doing it for my fellow Americans peace of mind.
Unfortunately, not everyone is as responsible as you are. That's why there must be executive orders and the like. But what you're doing is in direct contrast to your "genes" that compel you to buck the system. How do you explain that contradiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Trumplings are adamant about their "freedom" to infect others.
Ha! That was great. Howard Stern is spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies