Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2020, 07:14 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Around here it is just the opposite. I see, I would estimate, about 20% of people in general wearing a mask while in public. There are a few businesses that, early-on, required a mask. Most have dropped that because they had very few customers and were in danger of going under. I know I walked away from a few and simply ordered what I wanted from Amazon. If you wear a mask, or full hazmat suit, I couldn't care less. Just keep your nose out of my affairs. And if you are a business that wants to require one, fine. Just don't bellyache if you have very few customers.
Well Chris I think after a few more weeks of new cases spiraling out of control, most people might get it through their head that wearing masks, contact tracing and social distancing is the only way we can get out of this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 07:18 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Well Chris I think after a few more weeks of new cases spiraling out of control, most people might get it through their head that wearing masks, contact tracing and social distancing is the only way we can get out of this mess.

Do you honestly believe that people will talk to contact tracers? We been taught from early age not to answer unknown phone numbers. As for social distancing, i am not seeing it happening .

Old 07-10-2020, 08:27 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Looking at the "official stats" that come up when you run a search on the net (if we can trust them), here is what I get when I crunch a few numbers for comparison:

South Dakota (lax restrictions concerning covid. No mask requirement. No shutdown or lock down):

* Rate of covid infection within population: 0.8%
* Rate of death recorded as covid within population: 0.01%

Utah (lax restrictions that thankfully will stay that way for now. No mask requirement. Shutdown lifted)

* Rate of covid infection within population: 0.9%
* Rate of death recorded as covid within population: 0.006%

New York (very tight restrictions concerning covid. Lock downs aplenty. Mask requirements):

* Rate of covid infection within population: 2.0%
* Rate of death recorded as covid within population: 0.2%

Sweden (very lax requirements concerning covid. Basically nothing besides recommending good hygiene):

* Rate of covid infection within population: 0.7%
* Rate of death recorded as covid within population: 0.04%

Thoughts concerning the varying strategies used to "fight" covid? Seems the stats aren't exactly correlating to your beliefs on the matter.

------------------------------------

As a side note: Sweden's Public Health Agency states that the scientific evidence does not support public use of face masks. The government has also warned that wearing them might create a false sense of security, and that public use of masks could do more harm than good.

And their disease/fatality rate doesn't look any worse than some of the countries and states with heavy restrictions/mandates from what I've seen.

Last edited by ChrisC; 07-10-2020 at 08:36 PM..

Old 07-10-2020, 08:49 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Looking at the "official stats" that come up when you run a search on the net (if we can trust them), here is what I get when I crunch a few numbers for comparison:

South Dakota (lax restrictions concerning covid. No mask requirement. No shutdown or lock down):

Utah (lax restrictions that thankfully will stay that way for now. No mask requirement. Shutdown lifted)

New York (very tight restrictions concerning covid. Lock downs aplenty. Mask requirements):

Sweden (very lax requirements concerning covid. Basically nothing besides recommending good hygiene):

Thoughts concerning the varying strategies used to "fight" covid? Seems the stats aren't exactly correlating to your beliefs on the matter.

As a side note: Sweden's Public Health Agency states that the scientific evidence does not support public use of face masks. The government has also warned that wearing them might create a false sense of security, and that public use of masks could do more harm than good.

And their disease/fatality rate doesn't look any worse than some of the countries and states with heavy restrictions/mandates from what I've seen.
What is the cart and what is the horse? It is the infection rate driving mitigation efforts, not vice versa.

Sweden?

https://fortune.com/2020/06/26/swede...id-face-masks/

"The scientist behind Sweden’s controversial Covid-19 strategy said he’s willing to reconsider using face masks, after previously seeing little benefit in them.

Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist and the architect of its hands-off response to the coronavirus pandemic, said there are situations in which it might be advisable for people to cover their mouths and noses."

"The Swedish epidemiologist has repeatedly made international headlines since advising against a full lockdown. He’s subsequently admitted that more restrictions might have been necessary, but refused to abandon his strategy. Meanwhile, Sweden has one of the world’s highest Covid mortality rates."

Old 07-10-2020, 09:03 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:

You didn't 'run a search' you cherry picked and as far as Sweden goes....https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ders-their-use

Tegnell is nuts he's some kind of hack libertarian. I have relatives in Sweden and they are disgusted with the way this has been handled. They said that in the rest homes if an old person with covid has trouble breathing they give them morphine, haldol and midazolam all of which suppress breathing - in essence euthanizing them.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What is the cart and what is the horse? It is the infection rate driving mitigation efforts, not vice versa.

Sweden?

https://fortune.com/2020/06/26/swede...id-face-masks/

"The scientist behind Sweden’s controversial Covid-19 strategy said he’s willing to reconsider using face masks, after previously seeing little benefit in them.

Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist and the architect of its hands-off response to the coronavirus pandemic, said there are situations in which it might be advisable for people to cover their mouths and noses."

"The Swedish epidemiologist has repeatedly made international headlines since advising against a full lockdown. He’s subsequently admitted that more restrictions might have been necessary, but refused to abandon his strategy. Meanwhile, Sweden has one of the world’s highest Covid mortality rates."
Yet New York's mortality rate is higher. One player does nothing and gets a mortality rate that is lower than another player that practically locks their population in isolation boxes.

Also, your first point blows your argument that everyone should wear a mask. If the infection rate is low, by your logic, no mask should be required. Yet in previous posts you have implied that you believe everyone should wear a mask, period. Which is it? New York is two percent, South Dakota is less than a percent. Yet I just bet you would be the first in line for a nationwide mask mandate, wouldn't you? So indeed, what is the cart and what is the horse? Evidently for you, the two are somewhat hermaphorditical, so to speak.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:10 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Those stores will really love it when their corp profit is down and/or when they get sued for it.
Can't get sued for a requirement that is applied equally. Kinda like that "no shirt, no shoes, no service" thing.

Quote:
Around here it is just the opposite. I see, I would estimate, about 20% of people in general wearing a mask while in public.
Do let us all know where you live ... so we can avoid the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

There's that scientific method at work!

Old 07-10-2020, 09:15 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Quote:
Good lord, why would anyone wear them if they knew they weren't effective? If one doubts the effectiveness of any given act or pursuit, one generally does not want to waste his or her time in that pursuit. That is, unless he or she is mentally deficient. If I knew that by wearing my mask, like a good little boy, I would suddenly make us all live forever and happily ever after, I would wear the damn thing. But as it is, I see no point in engaging in an activity that brings questionable, at best, benefits to anyone. If I see compelling evidence that was brought forth PRE-COVID, I'll reassess my stance. As it is, I've seen compelling evidence of just the opposite.

Over the course of my life, I've seen the medical and science community flip-flop back and forth on so many issues that I simply do not trust any of it without solid, conclusive evidence. Studies conducted since the outset of this plague, in my mind, are suspect from the get go because there is simply too much political "interference" in the scientific/medical community right now and too much "begging the question" to warrant any trust at all.
Why don't you ask the Doctors and Nurses, who wear them every day, around patients, whether they work or not, LOL.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Do let us all know where you live ... so we can avoid the area.
Fine by me... although it has one of the lowest infection/death rates in the nation.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Why don't you ask the Doctors and Nurses, who wear them every day, around patients, whether they work or not, LOL.
They typically DON'T wear cloth masks. You haven't been paying attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies