Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2020, 11:00 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,067,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Not nearly as lame as your mask fetish.

Again, if you REALLY believed your mask to be soooooooooo very effective, you wouldn't care whether I had one on or not. Because you'd be behind your invincible shield, safe and contented. And I'd be on the other side of your invincible shield, just as safe and just as contented.

So you are not willing to stop driving your car to save lives, but you are willing to wear a mask to "save lives" (accepting your premise for the sake of argument)? That being the case, then, where is your line on what is an acceptable level of intrusion and what is not an acceptable level of intrusion? Once you've identified it, think about that point and the possibility that such point might well be different for others around you. In fact, for some people, that point may even on the south side of wearing a mask for your sake. Imagine that. Two levels of selfishness, I presume. But selfish just the same.
I have no mask fetish. I hate wearing one but our state has had mandatory masks for months now and our numbers are have gone way down. It's just the norm now. No big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 11:13 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Yet New York's mortality rate is higher. One player does nothing and gets a mortality rate that is lower than another player that practically locks their population in isolation boxes.

Also, your first point blows your argument that everyone should wear a mask. If the infection rate is low, by your logic, no mask should be required. Yet in previous posts you have implied that you believe everyone should wear a mask, period. Which is it? New York is two percent, South Dakota is less than a percent. Yet I just bet you would be the first in line for a nationwide mask mandate, wouldn't you? So indeed, what is the cart and what is the horse? Evidently for you, the two are somewhat hermaphorditical, so to speak.
Areas with higher infection rates institute stricter requirements. It is the disease that drives the health response. Without the stricter policies, the cases and deaths would be higher.

Even if the infection rate is low masks should be worn in order to keep it low.

Edited to add:

Thanks to JG183 for this link:

https://www.wired.com/story/larry-br...ting-covid-19/

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 07-10-2020 at 11:30 PM..

Old 07-10-2020, 11:33 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Getting in your car and driving every day is selfish too. You could kill someone. How many people die in car crashes annually? Each a victim of someone's selfishness. Had that selfish person been walking, nobody would have died. People who don't drive are looking out for their fellow human beings by eliminating the chance of being the cause of a fatal crash. Those who refuse to turn in their keys and walk see doing so as an attack on their freedom, which is really sad.
We mitigate the risk of fatal crashes by having rules for driving and by the safety devices now on most vehicles, including seat belts and air bags.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:26 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times
Speaking of mask "Metro approved a mandatory mask rule for all riders. But that rule is toothless, drivers say, because they cannot refuse service to passengers who don’t obey it."

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ransit-workers

Old 07-11-2020, 01:40 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlJMugMFfu4

Old 07-11-2020, 02:43 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,671 times
Quote:
They typically DON'T wear cloth masks. You haven't been paying attention.
Either way, the assertion that masks, whether they be surgical or n95 don't work, for their intended purposes, is false, lol.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:33 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
I respectfully disagree. It takes freedom of choice from you. That is why around half of the country against mask and half for it. We see such freedom differently.
If this horrific virus travels through the air from sneezes and coughs and spit flying around, why do you think a mask is so inconvenient? It might not be the cure all, but it has been proven to at least ward off stinking virus bugs.

Freedom is independence and it sure will be the best thing to be able to run around like we used to, with no worries. But, we need to get rid of this horrible bug ASAP, it is not political, it is a choice we have to at least try and do the right thing. Just out of respect for your fellow human beings and yourself.

Something so simple, that saves lives, come on lets just do it.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:43 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,727 times
Quote:
Fine by me... although it has one of the lowest infection/death rates in the nation.
With no thanks to you, apparently. You are lucky to live in a region, where the infection is lower, larger metropolitan areas may be different. Stay safe. America needs to come back to healthy and wiser again.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:51 AM

2,921 posts, read 1,986,113 times
I'm not reading through 73 pages of this thread, just want to mention my observations at the local stores. I was one of the customers who never wore a mask except at the doctor's office where it was required. Highly doubt their effectiveness, even now.

However, I did start to wear one at the stores when we got the news that cases of Covid-19 was increasing after states started reopening. Interesting to note that before I heard that news that I went into a store where it was obvious most people, except for employees, had stopped wearing masks. Then after I heard about the increase in cases I went into the same store wearing a mask since the 'experts' recommended it, and almost everyone, including lumberjack looking young guys, were also wearing them. Huge change.

People will do the right thing for the most part if it means not getting something as awful as Covid-19. And we don't need local politicians mandating mask wearing, which creates a backlash against Big Brother dictates. It's counter-productive.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:12 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
You know what else is uncomfortable and constricting? Bras.

Also, shoes.

And pants.

Go RWingers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies