Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2020, 07:00 PM

8,337 posts, read 2,965,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Abortion --- government don't tell me how to live my life and/or the choices I must make, I'll decide for myself what is right or wrong.

Slavery --- government don't tell me how to live my life and/or the choices I must make, I'll decide for myself what is right or wrong

Denial? There are two sides, to every story. People choose the one they like best.

PS: do you know why it was three-fifths?voting power by population count, slaves counted by districts which increased the delegates in the south. the union considered that to be --- unfair.
Use to have to own property to be able to vote. Now any bum can vote. Sometimes multiple times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 07:07 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Use to have to own property to be able to vote. Now any bum can vote. Sometimes multiple times.
Probably because with all the corruption people see coming from those they voted for --- the population that vote continues to decrease --- they are trying to raise that number by looking the other way while they vote thrice and allowing non citizens to vote in local elections, as well. Changes erode ... in abundance these days. PS: where as standing by one's principles is increasing becoming a thing of the past.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:02 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
I'd rather have it the way it is now than back in the day. I don't think owning property should be a requirement to vote.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'd rather have it the way it is now than back in the day. I don't think owning property should be a requirement to vote.
It has to do (as most all things does) with taxation ... if a person does not pay property taxes, it's believed they don't have a dog in the hunt.

Nonresident Property Owners and Voting in Local Elections: A Paradigm Shift?

" Nonresident voting has continued to attract election law interest as the seasonal homeowner population grows -- drawing more attention to property taxes.
<snip>
"Taxation without representation" was the cry that started a revolution. More than 200 years later, it is still fueling a debate that could affect a shift in election law."

Which also effects what this thread is about ... where as Representatives voted into office, by non citizens, that own property and those Representatives making changes in laws that effect local customs and traditions displayed in the public forum, which may or may not have anything to do with them. You can also run this all the way up the flag pole to the WH, that even though non citizen can not vote in the National Elections, they still made it possible for their person to get there --- Could be why the people in the u.s. frown on career politicians, but voted in a business man instead; shake things up a bit and see what falls out.

Poor people though do not normally vote. They were poor before the election and they are still poor after the election --- it is a pointless endeavor for them.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:07 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Can you define bums? Multiple times? Do you have research or links to back up your assertion?

Old 06-30-2020, 10:08 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
The confederate flag is a symbol of division to me. We want unity, not division. If it's about history, then people can read it in their history books. Same for these confederate statutes. No need to have them. Replace them with trees.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
The confederate flag is a symbol of division to me. We want unity, not division. If it's about history, then people can read it in their history books. Same for these confederate statutes. No need to have them. Replace them with trees.
Quote:
The confederate flag is a symbol of division to me.
Divide the States to stand independent of the union.

Absolute power, corrupts absolutely ... As long as more people believe that it is something it is not, the union is secure; keeping a centralized government in power and wage earners (slaves) money to benefit that power. The States can just go pound sand.

If the flag had not shown up in the 60s in the hands of people who were on the wrong side of history in that era --- we would not be having this conversation.

This black woman is proud of Confederate flag

"She's on a mission to get African-Americans represented in the Confederate Museum in Columbia, South Carolina."

Old 06-30-2020, 11:37 AM

46,956 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Slavery --- government don't tell me how to live my life and/or the choices I must make, I'll decide for myself what is right or wrong
I'd say there was one group who was very much told by government how to live their life - that would be the people who were legally sold and bought. And the slave states had no issue using federal law to force the non-slave states to keep escaped slaves in bondage.

The Southern Gentlemen were just fine with using federal authority to overrule states' rights - as long as they got to be the ones making the federal rules. "States' Rights" only became a rallying cry once they realized they wouldn't be able to use federal law to dictate terms to the non-slave states.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:40 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
nobody cares.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:46 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
nobody cares.
Erudite observations are not always obvious on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies