Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 12:35 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,385,959 times

Advertisements

You can do a little soul searching about what type of person you really want to be. None of these cases are some misunderstood nice guy. You don’t have to be kind and your lack of kindness does not have to be tolerated.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:36 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,384,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Everyone has free speech, at leas tin this country. But yes, part of free speech is freedom of association. Most people don't want to associate with someone who spends their weekends goosestepping around in their Schutzstaffel uniform and their evenings ranting and driving about the impure destroying society. But, yes, said person does have freedom of speech and as long as they stick to goosestepping and ranting and don't do anything criminal they're free to do so.
You kind of missed the point of my post.

But not that I do not disagree with you, but my post was going beyond what you wrote. I understand and agree, however, I was touching upon true free speech, which yes, the gov does not retaliate, however, anyone else can, and yes, they have the freedom to do such things, one which I support.

But I was saying that that means those who have true free speech, in that they feel they can say anything they want because they are immune to retaliation from anyone, mainly via economics, are millionaires and those on a pension (basically those financially independent). Everyone else is constrained to one degree or another.

And while you go on about the SS, it could also be someone simply being at a pro-choice rally and getting fired because the boss is not pro-choice. If everyone was scared to voice their support for being pro-choice, that would pretty much cap that free speech the gov protects, and that would give an incorrect perception of how many actually are pro-choice (using a general example).

Old 06-28-2020, 12:44 PM

9,454 posts, read 10,757,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
“Destroying the enemy” doesn’t really mean destroying. Ok gotcha. Afraid someone may be able to out you Daniel J?
Again I do not believe in mob violence or criminal activities. Those who are rioting, destroying statues and property, those assaulting people are the ones who believe in and act violently. I do believe the president should use the military to stop this insanity. I believe in law and order.

If need be I do believe the red states should organize against the rising leftism in the country. Radicals are destroying our country. Do you think this is ok?

Do you think it is ok to silence Americans or take away basic freedoms?

Old 06-28-2020, 12:44 PM

3,028 posts, read 4,986,042 times
Does anyone remember when liberals were saying no one should be fired for social media postings?

I guess that doesn't apply when it's for their team

Old 06-28-2020, 01:10 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,415,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I remember when conservatives used to cherish private property rights.
I remember when progressives didn't.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:16 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,415,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
You can do a little soul searching about what type of person you really want to be. None of these cases are some misunderstood nice guy. You don’t have to be kind and your lack of kindness does not have to be tolerated.
https://twitter.com/SpeechUnion/stat...14030663012352

Several do seem to involve "nice guys."

Old 06-28-2020, 01:20 PM

20,019 posts, read 8,913,884 times
how many here spend much of there work day on this site or similar sites?

Old 06-28-2020, 01:23 PM

9,454 posts, read 10,757,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Does anyone remember when liberals were saying no one should be fired for social media postings?

I guess that doesn't apply when it's for their team
We must remember that there is a difference between democrats/traditional liberals and the radical leftists that we are dealing with now. While I profoundly disagree with liberals on the issues most traditional liberals are not the ones trying to silence Americans. I have had many a civil debate with traditional democrats and have not found them to be in favor of silencing dissent. These folks are not a threat to our democracy.

Radical leftists are the ones trying to silence Americans. Radical leftists are the ones tearing up the country. Radical leftists are the ones that are a threat to our democracy and our union. Radical leftist are pushing a cultural revolution. Radical leftists are engaging in violence. If radical leftists take control of the country in November we are done for as a nation. The fact that so many people agree with silencing Americans for political speech is very frightening in an Orwellian kind of way.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:19 PM

21,716 posts, read 24,949,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
You kind of missed the point of my post.

But not that I do not disagree with you, but my post was going beyond what you wrote. I understand and agree, however, I was touching upon true free speech, which yes, the gov does not retaliate, however, anyone else can, and yes, they have the freedom to do such things, one which I support.

But I was saying that that means those who have true free speech, in that they feel they can say anything they want because they are immune to retaliation from anyone, mainly via economics, are millionaires and those on a pension (basically those financially independent). Everyone else is constrained to one degree or another.

And while you go on about the SS, it could also be someone simply being at a pro-choice rally and getting fired because the boss is not pro-choice. If everyone was scared to voice their support for being pro-choice, that would pretty much cap that free speech the gov protects, and that would give an incorrect perception of how many actually are pro-choice (using a general example).
I guess I still don't.

Part of free speech is freedom of association. That is true free speech. Being financially independent buys you economic stability but no immunity from freedom of association. Ben Stein, for example. Obviously he isn't in any desperate need for more money but his opinions on intelligent design and global warming have cost him roles. It opens some doors but probably closes more than it opens especially given the nature of his work. Then there's the credibility he lost as an economist which was as much in how he chose to phrase things as how wrong he was. I don't really watch cable news anymore but I suspect they're not paying him to appear much these days.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:28 PM

22,350 posts, read 11,881,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephariel View Post
LOL, fake tough guy. I dare you do something about it. The right lives in trash states. Maybe spank yourself first and live like adults before worrying about other people.

Again, do something about it. What are you going to do about it? Vote for Trump? Your closet liberal savior?

Trump can't do anything to stop the progressive movement.
Awwww...you mad, Bro?

You may not know it but "the right" just like "the left" lives in all 50 states. So, according to your skewed logic all 50 states are --- to quote you "trash states".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.