Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 04:52 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times

Advertisements

What if the lockdown was a giant mistake, asks former presidential candidate, US Congressman and medical doctor Ron Paul.

Quote:
What If The Lockdown Was A Giant Mistake?

When Anthony Fauci first warned that two million would die, there was a race among federal, state, and local officials to see who could rip up the Constitution fastest. Then Fauci told us if we do what he says only a quarter of a million would die. They locked America down even harder. Then, with little more than a shrug of the shoulders, they announced that a maximum of 60,000 would die, but maybe less. That is certainly terrible, but it’s just a high-average flu season.

Imagine if we had used even a fraction of the resources spent to lock down the entire population and focused on providing assistance and protection to the most vulnerable – the elderly and those with serious medical conditions. We could have protected these people and still had an economy to go back to when the virus had run its course. And it wouldn’t have cost us six trillion dollars either.

Governments have no right or authority to tell us what business or other activity is “essential.” Only in totalitarian states does the government claim this authority. We should encourage all those who are standing up peacefully and demanding an accounting from their elected leaders. They should not be able to get away with this.
By exaggerating the death toll, panic was incited and the very worst, most extreme possible reaction was instigated. Of course now that our leaders have collectively done this to us, they will go to their graves insisting it was necessary and the right thing to do.

But, what if it wasn't? And truth be told, it increasingly looks like this may have been an overreaction.

Dr. Paul is correct. They should not be allowed to get away with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 04:58 PM

6,346 posts, read 2,901,596 times
The mistake won't be the lockdown, it will be not reversing the lockdown soon enough. It is a totally new virus to humans and all indications are that is spreads easily. Then when we saw what was happening in Italy a temporary lockdown was prudent.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:00 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
What if the lockdown was a giant mistake, asks former presidential candidate, US Congressman and medical doctor Ron Paul.

By exaggerating the death toll, panic was incited and the very worst, most extreme possible reaction was instigated. Of course now that our leaders have collectively done this to us, they will go to their graves insisting it was necessary and the right thing to do.

But, what if it wasn't? And truth be told, it increasingly looks like this may have been an overreaction.

Politicians got to talk - get their faces on tv - that’s just what they do - Dr? From how long ago ?

Old 04-20-2020, 05:00 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
I used to like Ron Paul, but I already took a look at his views here and he's gone off the deep end basically saying it is all a conspiracy. Lost a bit of respect for him.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:05 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,704,331 times
Written a few days ago by a history teacher in Los Angeles....

As a historian at heart, and great admirer of my country, its principles, and the men and women who sacrificed so much to establish this great nation, I would have never predicted a virus would take down our country. That the greatest threat to our country, our liberties, our ideals, our constitution, was not Nazi Germany, Al-Qaeda, the Confederate States of America destroying us within, but doctors with political ideologies creating a simulation on weak data, and “what ifs”, that will be the foundation for government guidelines used to destroy my liberties. Guidelines used by executive powers on state and local levels to justify removing and violating my constitutionally protected natural rights, enforced by police based on the idea that I am a threat to people's health and safety.

I now live in a state where I can be ticketed or arrested for exercising my rights; such as peacefully assembling, having people over to my home. Neighbors are encouraged to report me to authorities, “snitch” to the police, and will be rewarded if they do so. Gathering to worship is banned, and I cannot go to work - the government decides what businesses are “essential” and can remain open. I can no longer run on pathways in city parks and can only view the ocean through a chain link fence put up to stop me from entering this public park. In three weeks I have witnessed public health officials and politicians destroy what was beautifully laid out in a piece of paper in 1776 and fought for in a seven years war against mighty Great Britain.

Against all odds, and at tremendous cost of riches, comfort, safety, and life, our founders sacrificed it all because they valued liberty more. These ideals laid out in the Declaration of Independence and then protected in the greatest Constitution ever written to establish and protect those liberties have been disregarded and destroyed in exchange for “safety” from a virus that the majority of us will experience no, to moderate, or severe symptoms that are comparable to a bad flu.

Are these the same scientists that told me in high school I was going to burn in flames because my mom’s hairspray can of Aqua Net was destroying the Ozone layer, and in the near future. I will have to wear a space suit to walk outside otherwise burn in flames by the sun? Are these the same scientists that have created a current generation that believes in 12 years our earth will be destroyed and current lands underwater if we don’t ban plastic straws and commute to work on a scooter? And to debate or question these claims makes me an ignorant denier.

It is now Friday, the end of the week, the week that I was told by the Surgeon General to expect the tremendous death and carnage, comparable to the day’s events of Pearl Harbor and 9/11; I have yet to experience such a day. The only death and carnage I am witnessing and mourning is the death of our liberties and the tremendous damage of our livelihood, free market, and huge gaps and damage to our youths' education that was already suffering from failed public schools. And now creating future generations that will be dependent on government hand-outs and in tremendous government debt, therefore enslaved to their government.

Most Americans are familiar to some degree with the closing line of Patrick Henry's speech “Give me Liberty, or Give Me Death”, yet as powerful are his lines that begins his speech: “I consider it as nothing less than a question of freedom or slavery; and in proportion to the magnitude of the subject ought to be the freedom of the debate. It is only in this way that we can hope to arrive at truth…Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings.” Patrick Henry.

I end with the thought that our biggest threat to the American people is not the recent virus Covid 19, but years of the virus of the suppression of independent thinking, low standards within our educational system, and a lack of understanding; that to question is to seek truths and understanding. All things our founders knew to be essential for the pursuit of happiness and the only guarantor to our liberties.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:06 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
They dumped water all over my house from a helicopter due to just one small part of the roof being on fire, and broke my windows!

And no we could not have protected the most vulnerable in the way you are suggesting. LOL. That would be how we would see millions of dead.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:13 PM

6,346 posts, read 2,901,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I used to like Ron Paul, but I already took a look at his views here and he's gone off the deep end basically saying it is all a conspiracy. Lost a bit of respect for him.
I always knew he was off-kilter. Did you see him in Brüno? That was a hoot!

Old 04-20-2020, 05:15 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
All of this "what if it was wrong" talk about stay at home/shut down or not is no different to me than armchair quarterbacks spewing their so-called expertise after the fact.

Football armchair QB's - the score would have been different if.....

Covid-19 armchair QB's - deaths would have been the same if we did nothing....

I see these numbers with the extreme measures the world has taken. Anyone truly believes no lock down should have happened and must go back to work now is the right thing to do and the numbers wouldn't be much worse? I don't wish ill-will on anyone, but to all that want to rush back, it better be you that gets sick and not give it to me.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:27 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post

Why is it so difficult to find a sane person in the Republican party????

If Paul, as a former physician, does not grasp the severity of this virus; he has access to the czar, Anthony Fauci, who does and can explain to him.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:30 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
There's no what if, it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies