Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 08:06 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,864,826 times

Advertisements

Deranged democrat trash can demand all they want.

There are plenty of people here in Orange County who will not tolerate this nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 08:06 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
I once made the mistake of referring to Wayne as a hero in front of Dad. He quickly corrected me with “Audie Murphy is a hero. John Wayne is an actor “. Should not be anything named after him anyways.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:36 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Privatize the airport.

Problem solved.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:44 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
doubt Trump will allow it. Airports can't operate without federal employees.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:44 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Stop that nonsense. It's a lie and you know it. All your post amounts to is a pathetic attempt at deflection.

When it comes to the John Wayne Airport, I believe re-naming it is a local issue only, and should be left up to the citizens of Orange County.
If anything, if the airport has international connections (I don't know if it does), the name should probably remain for at least a year if the citizens decide to change it.

Foreign airlines may not be quick everywhere to realize a name change, and the last thing any of us would want is a bad accident because an airliner from Bosnia or somewhere tries to land at the wrong airport due to confusion over a name change.

Wayne has been dead for 41 years. Whatever relevance his politics has today isn't much, if any. His importance to his industry is also long gone.
He's only remembered now for the one good role he landed in True Grit, so he's not such a big deal anymore.

If the citizens care enough about it, I'm sure they could come up with a more important actor to use for the airport's name easily enough. lIf they even want another actor to represent them with their airport at all.
I guess I hit a nerve.

Sorry, but yes, Democrats are racist and sexist. The entire Democratic policy is based on dividing people by race or gender and promising to improve the circumstances of those who belong to whichever group they are currently pandering to. Meanwhile, Democrats are responsible for some of the most racist laws in existence, and have been since the era of Jim Crow. Heck, Joe Biden led the charge on the 1994 crime bill that destroyed black families across the country.

You may or may not agree with me, but if you’re going to try to prove that I’m wrong you’ll have to do better than “stop that, it’s silly.” You could start by pointing out one Democrat policy in the last 30 years that successfully improved the circumstances of every American for the long term.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:47 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Just because John Wayne said once “ until they want to be educated and can take responsibility. That means pulling your pants up and working, getting off Welfare, section 8 housing, affirmative action. you will never be equal if you’re on these programs, you’ll just remain a Negro on the plantation.”

Was he right or wrong?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cal...irport-renamed
Maybe they should have passed a resolution punishing Russia for paying bounties to our enemies for killing Americans. Y'know... Since the current president can't be bothered.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:51 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
john wayne liked pilgrims. that means he's racist according to thanksgiving-americans.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:13 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
doubt Trump will allow it. Airports can't operate without federal employees.
He can't forbid the federal employees to do their traffic control and airport security. And there's nothing he can do about a name change on a city property.

All he can do is snivel about it, and he will surely do a lot of that. If it happens.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:32 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I once made the mistake of referring to Wayne as a hero in front of Dad. He quickly corrected me with “Audie Murphy is a hero. John Wayne is an actor “. Should not be anything named after him anyways.
I agree with your dad. I said the same thing when people referred to Obama as a hero. No he wasn't a hero. He was just another politician.

That said John Wayne was an American icon for decades. He will always be one of my favorite actors. His movies among my favorites. I'll take a John Wayne movie over any Fast and Furious flick.

I think it is a mistake to rename the airport, if no other reason than it is really a non-issue.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:38 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,974,409 times
I have no problems with them renaming John Wayne, but it's up to OC. In LA, I would say SNA is probably equally referred to as Orange County vs John Wayne, with a less signifcant percentage of people calling it Santa Ana. John Wayne was obviously famous and and remains a known name, but he probably means a lot more to people in their 60's and above than to most less than 60 today. I like old movies and have seen a few of his, but most people < 50 probably haven't. They may want to rebrand to just OC International anyways. That he held some racist ideas may be one small thing in favor of the change, but the bigger reason would be his lack of relevance today. Plus, it's always better IMO if an airport is named after a place rather than a person (with the exception of where two airports actually sit in the same city limits). The lack of relevance is the same reason that BUR started calling itself Hollywood/Burbank Airport instead of Bob Hope Airport (Though it's official name is still Bob Hope, few people ever referred to it as that anyway. Evryone just calls it Burbank Airport, and I don't think anyone will start calling it the longer Hollywood-Burbank Airport).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies