Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 01:40 PM

25,730 posts, read 12,808,029 times

Advertisements

Where are the liberal cities going to find social workers, who are willing to go into dangerous crime-infested neighbothoods, where the bad guys have guns, w/o protection?

These positions will be impossible to fill. Who are they to call after they get assaulted? They might as well be dispatched in ambulances w/ parametics. Who will protect the parametics?

Lawyers will be lined up waiting to sue the cities for knowingly placing city employees in great peril. What ever happened to workplace safety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 03:01 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,531,425 times
I was a social worker in the 80’s and went into people’s homes alone in crappy neighborhoods all the time. Now what is being discussed is having a social worker or mental health counselor go to homes where someone is threatening suicide. They would go with a cop and they would be in charge to de-escalate the situation. They are also much better equipped to deal with homeless people. Many situations are not police matters.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:14 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
I’ve gone into crime infested neighborhoods just to get a twelve pack of Bud.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:19 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
Lot of social workers about to get their asses kicked

Old 06-28-2020, 04:10 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
With rare exceptions you can go in urban areas without too much fear.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:15 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Where are the liberal cities going to find social workers, who are willing to go into dangerous crime-infested neighbothoods, where the bad guys have guns, w/o protection?

These positions will be impossible to fill. Who are they to call after they get assaulted? They might as well be dispatched in ambulances w/ parametics. Who will protect the parametics?

Lawyers will be lined up waiting to sue the cities for knowingly placing city employees in great peril. What ever happened to workplace safety?
Let's start by admitting that overall the crime rate is very low and has been for years.

So before you ask this, why don't you check on whether social workers were managing all right when the crime rate was high? I'm guessing that would be in the 1980s-1990s.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:21 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
I've spent a lot of times in dangerous neighborhoods for work, some ranked in the top 20 most dangerous neighborhoods in the country. I have been robbed at gunpoint and have had a few other close calls, which could've been gone much worse.

Now there's a big difference between just going into a bad neighborhood and intentionally going towards a dangerous situation. I was able to get in and out of these neighborhoods because I had enough sense to not engage dangerous people or put myself in a spot where I was likely to be ambushed. I made a mistake once that cost me some money, but made sure not to make the same mistake again.

Now social workers will need to go directly to the dangerous situations and try to deescalate them. It will not be pretty and I can't imagine that many will stick it out. They will be seen as easy prey and will be subject to all types of harassment. Many parts of our country will descend into chaos.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:26 PM

653 posts, read 221,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

I can't wait to see how this play out. It will be entertaining.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:27 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
Cops aren’t even risking their careers to defend themselves. They sure as hell aren’t going to lift a finger to protect some social worker that probably hates cops.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:29 PM

653 posts, read 221,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Cops aren’t even risking their careers to defend themselves. They sure as hell aren’t going to lift a finger to protect some social worker that probably hates cops.
Sure they will. They will lift their finger to turn the body cam on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies