Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 10:06 PM

17,617 posts, read 6,903,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
What did I say about the NEA.

At no point has anyone advocated for shutting schools down.

Made up to give you your rant potential -- you do it well.
Thanks. I think I'm going to push defunding public education once the schools remain closed. It should have some traction once people realize they're paying property taxes for public schools that aren't open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 10:08 PM

407 posts, read 122,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Thanks. I think I'm going to push defunding public education once the schools remain closed. It should have some traction once people realize they're paying property taxes for public schools that aren't open.
Were your children not engaged in online learning with their teachers and the district during the lock-down?

Old 07-10-2020, 10:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
There is a much higher percentage of families with stay-at-home moms than I'd think you'd generally find in most school districts too (pretty much everything you guessed is right).

So if my kids' school district is coming in at that number, there is definitely going to be an expectation around the country that kids are going back in the fall.
I work in education. I've been pretty open on it for all what I have do and that I work in education in many of the reopening schools threads over the past week. I want to be back in school. I work with a lot of kids who need a schedule. Students who I work with desperately need structure and for school to come back. Trust me, I want to be there for these kids and my heartbreaks that I haven't seen most since March (I saw a few in May when students returned Chromebooks.)

That said I have to side on safety. Most teachers have families, the students have theirs. One person spreading the virus in school and we put these families at risk. I have with my summer job as there maybe a Covid case with a different household at the camp I work at. That household may be shutdown if the case is positive. If it is, I might have gotten it through interactions. I mean I tried to have my distance with other households, but that don't mean I'm perfect. Luckily I have not had a fever. However I worry about my parents that I live with. I don't know what I would do if they get sick and die.

Old 07-11-2020, 03:20 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,147 times
DD and son in law are investigating the option of homeschooling oldest grandson (6), who will be entering second grade. Their main concern is safety, of course, but they are also worried that he won't get an optimal education with the disruption and chaos that are bound to happen when school reopens. They've been in contact with a well reputed acredited on line school and were very impressed with it. He presently attends a private school for gifted kids...they want to make sure they aren't shelling out all that money for something he isn't getting. They were not at all pleased with most of the remote program. Better than what he would have had from their local district, but still definitely sub par.

This homeschool plans to test him for grade placement and place him accordingly...second grade at his present school is equivalent to third or fourth in public school.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:40 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
2 school systems in SC announced their plans.

Both using a hybrid set up. Elementary will have 5 day with the kids going into 1 room each day. No movement outside of their group trying to limit exposure.
Middle and HS will have 2-3 days of in school and the rest online.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:49 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,500,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selling home View Post
In my home town, the teachers won't go back until the virus is gone and will only do online learning.
And that means they will be doing much less direct teaching - and relying on parents to help teach their kids during the school day. In some cases, a parent will have to quit a job to stay home with elementary school children and be their part-time teacher. Thus, teachers who refuse to go back until the virus is gone should have a portion of their salary diverted to the stay-at-home parent, who is now doing part of the teacher’s job.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:30 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Not to argue one side or the other, but consider the consequences when schools reopen in areas where there is community spread (most small to large cities now). It is certain that a teacher, a cafeteria worker, a principal is going to get covid. It is not at all unlikely that a member of the school district staff or even a student will die. All hell will break loose when that happens.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:41 AM

17,617 posts, read 6,903,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
And that means they will be doing much less direct teaching - and relying on parents to help teach their kids during the school day. In some cases, a parent will have to quit a job to stay home with elementary school children and be their part-time teacher. Thus, teachers who refuse to go back until the virus is gone should have a portion of their salary diverted to the stay-at-home parent, who is now doing part of the teacher’s job.
We should just get rid of public schools if the teachers don't want to do their jobs. They've been failing anyway for a very long time. Most of them are more interested in pushing a political agenda as opposed to teaching.

The GOP needs to take a page from the Democrats' playbook and not let this crisis go to waste. It's a perfect opportunity to gut the left wing stranglehold on America's educational system.

I'm sure the woke activists posing as public school teachers can find other employment.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:54 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
We should just get rid of public schools if the teachers don't want to do their jobs. They've been failing anyway for a very long time. Most of them are more interested in pushing a political agenda as opposed to teaching.

The GOP needs to take a page from the Democrats' playbook and not let this crisis go to waste. It's a perfect opportunity to gut the left wing stranglehold on America's educational system.

I'm sure the woke activists posing as public school teachers can find other employment.
Teachers WANT to do their jobs, but they want to keep themselves, their families, the kids and their families safe.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:21 AM

407 posts, read 122,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That doesn't make any sense. One teacher's salary is not going to compensate an entire classroom of families. And these teachers are working. Online learning doesn't happen on it's own and teachers shouldn't be doing that for no salary. These teachers should not put their lives at risk.

I get it, though. It's hard. I have a 5 and 7 year old going to into K and 2nd grade this year. They have zero ability to self-direct. I also work full time. From March to June I had to work early morning/evenings and weekends. It was no fun, but I would rather sacrifice my sanity for a little while than someone's health.

Quote:

This is absurd. The GOP should just zip it about education. The anti-intellectual, science illiterate platform is what got us into this mess in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies