Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 02:29 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,512,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think people are missing the OP's point. The VOLUME of posts in the P+C forum outweighs those in other forums substantially. Reminds me of how many ex-pats post on the Long Island sub-forum under NY because the forums in their areas are totally dead.
the subforums should be somewhat proportional to the population of the state/city, so CA, FL, TX, NY have the most posts.
NC seems to be the outlier though. must be all the NYC metro transplants. i personally know 2 in my small circle that have moved from NY/NJ to NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 04:12 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,966,643 times
There are many threads that are started by flamethrowers or people who are possibly paid to do this for a living, either by CD, political parties or activist groups. In fact, I still believe desertdetroiter is a middle-aged white man. Maybe he's on CD's payroll, I can't say for sure but it does seem like it.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:01 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,089,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am here to research potential places to retire because I am sick of living in California almost my entire life. I have always wanted to live on the east coast, so I am here to find my new home now that I am free.

After my permanent move, I will be here to research places to visit and vacation. And if I hate my new city, then I will be researching how to fix that mistake.

When I hit "new posts", I am shocked to see so many threads filling the page from "Politics and controversies." There are so many forums to argue politics, it is confusing why people would come to a city research forum to do that. Not that is wrong or should change. I get sucked into some of the threads myself. It is like crack sometimes. But I have several other forums where I get my hard news, do research on current events, and discuss politics with others.

So why HERE? Why are the political threads here so dominant and the discussion of cities are so few and far between? Is it that Covid 19 has everybody stuck so nobody is moving or traveling, so there is nothing better to do right now? Or is politics always the top issue here?

Why are you here instead of on a site full of political junkies? I am confused. I don't mind it in the least, I am just confused why THIS website has so many political discussions going.
Bc forums for political junkies actually don't buy the trash that Trump puts out. This is one of the biggest forums for dumb and skewed Conservative talking points. It actively encourages the spread of the dumbest ideas of the Conservative movement (fake news, deep state, pizzagate, etc), so this becomes another Right wing echo chamber.

Thankfully, despite how threads & comments are moderated to promote ppo-Trump disinformation, there's enough Left wing fact-checking to pierce the echo chamber. It's much harder to complete the circle-jerk when intelligent posters keep spoiling the fun with factual takedowns.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:13 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,479,309 times
Politics can be viewed as a sport that can be played without an athlete's training or fitness.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:15 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,787,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am here to research potential places to retire because I am sick of living in California almost my entire life. I have always wanted to live on the east coast, so I am here to find my new home now that I am free.

After my permanent move, I will be here to research places to visit and vacation. And if I hate my new city, then I will be researching how to fix that mistake.

When I hit "new posts", I am shocked to see so many threads filling the page from "Politics and controversies." There are so many forums to argue politics, it is confusing why people would come to a city research forum to do that. Not that is wrong or should change. I get sucked into some of the threads myself. It is like crack sometimes. But I have several other forums where I get my hard news, do research on current events, and discuss politics with others.

So why HERE? Why are the political threads here so dominant and the discussion of cities are so few and far between? Is it that Covid 19 has everybody stuck so nobody is moving or traveling, so there is nothing better to do right now? Or is politics always the top issue here?

Why are you here instead of on a site full of political junkies? I am confused. I don't mind it in the least, I am just confused why THIS website has so many political discussions going.
There's a whole list of state forums. You're in the politics and controversies one.

Edit - I come here because it is somewhat balanced and I don't want to live in a silo/bubble.

Last edited by redwood66; 06-29-2020 at 08:32 PM..

Old 06-29-2020, 08:30 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,551,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think people are missing the OP's point. The VOLUME of posts in the P+C forum outweighs those in other forums substantially. Reminds me of how many ex-pats post on the Long Island sub-forum under NY because the forums in their areas are totally dead.
Take the total population of the website. Now divide that in fifty (which isn't even true - - we have many international posters). I'm only going to post in San Diego and California. What would I add to North Dakota's board? Any American has a connection to politics. So it's not surprising in that way.

With that being said, the politics board has 11.4 million posts. Five states: New York, Texas, Florida, California, and North Carolina (!) have a combined 8.2 million plus posts. So the state boards do really well - - you're just not going to find 11.4 posts in any single one.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:00 PM

16,383 posts, read 10,422,335 times
One of the things I like about C-D is that it's a "one stop shopping" site for all kinds of different topics. I'm not aware of any other site with such a wide range of topics to discuss. The politics forum is the one that I post in more than any other. But I do pop in on my own state's forum most times that I'm here, and try to answer people's questions as best I can. This site still does provide a forum for people to ask and answer questions about relocation.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:01 PM

20,957 posts, read 5,521,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
There are many threads that are started by flamethrowers or people who are possibly paid to do this for a living, either by CD, political parties or activist groups. In fact, I still believe desertdetroiter is a middle-aged white man. Maybe he's on CD's payroll, I can't say for sure but it does seem like it.

There are lots of paid shills in here.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:04 PM

24,374 posts, read 9,240,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I post here because its neither a 100% right wing, nor a 100% left wing site. Makes for more interesting conversations at times.
Same, I post here for interesting discussions and perspectives from people of all backgrounds. It’s very enlightening to even just observe two good arguments.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:15 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,046,635 times
I joined CD because I like to talk about towns, cities, and neighborhoods. Places where people live. Then I started checking out the politics sub-forum, and since I enjoy a good scrap now and then, I found it to be lively and entertaining. But I still enjoy threads about my hometown and about neighborhoods in New York, Philly, D.C.. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies