Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 10:01 AM

1,153 posts, read 631,378 times

Advertisements

I remember back in 2015-2016, there existed a conspiracy theory that Trump was a Democrat agent being used by an outsider(Clintons or someone else) to destabilize and sabotage the Republican Party.

Now, ever since Trump won the Presidential election, the theory pretty much got dismissed and died off like it should have since there's virtually no evidence to support it.

However, while the theory itself is untrue, I do believe that Trump has played a role in unintentionally destabilizing and sabotaging the Republican Party as we know it today.

Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to one's interpretation but there's one thing I know for certain: It's going to be very hard for the GOP to produce another Trump

I'm not talking about emulating Trump's personality or even his policies but I'm talking about his level of mass appeal. Trump during the primaries was so unorthodox, unique, and charismatic that many first-time voters believed in him and casted their very first votes due to him. Not too dissimilar from Obama's run in 2008, voters in 2016 were looking for a "change agent" so to speak who would absolve the U.S. of many of its issues regarding immigration, corruption, job creation, and a host of other things.

Contrary to popular belief, the average voter is Independent. They may not identify as one or be a member of the party but, internally, it holds true. Trump had many crossover Democrat voters who were essentially Independents in denial.

My question is: Realistically, which potential candidates does the GOP have to offer for 2024 and future Presidential elections after it who will have the same results as Trump in 2016?

Sanders? Rubio? Carson? Pence? Kasich? Scott? Haley?

Cmon…...I mean, I was personally planning on voting for Rand Paul in the 2016 election until I realized he had no chance of securing the nomination.

I suspect, too, that the Democrats in the future will wise up and try to come off more moderate or centrist.

Perhaps you feel the exact opposite way though. What's your take? Does the Republican Party truly have a future post Trump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 10:10 AM

1,768 posts, read 716,356 times
All they need is a republican with similar viewpoints as trump (his policies are actually quite popular - it is his rhetoric and way of talking most independents can't stand) that can deliver messages more eloquently and less divisively.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:17 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
All they need is a republican with similar viewpoints as trump (his policies are actually quite popular - it is his rhetoric and way of talking most independents can't stand) that can deliver messages more eloquently and less divisively.
Bingo.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:20 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
If trump wins, maybe. If he loses and the senate flips, it will be a rightie bloodbath.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:24 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
The republicans had problems the last 30 years, they were lucky Trump came around with the stars aligned perfectly. There is nothing about the behavior of republicans the last 4 years to give anyone confidence they can win elections. Their backing of Trumps behavior has been damaging to the party.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:26 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,686 times
Dan Crenshaw has all the makings of the next really charismatic Republican candidate who checks all the right boxes.

The guy just needs a bald eagle to sit on his shoulder and he'd be perfect.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:28 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
Not as long as the left put up "candidates" like Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden!

As other folks have said, Ben Crenshaw is a raising star in the Republican Party. Also, let's not lose sight of the fact that the left are their own worst enemy!!

Old 06-30-2020, 10:31 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Is the Republican Party doomed after Trump's term is over?

No, the Republican Party is doomed if Trump's term is not over.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:37 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post

As other folks have said, Ben Crenshaw is a raising star in the Republican Party. Also, let's not lose sight of the fact that the left are their own worst enemy!!
Is he a rising star in the same way Sarah Palin was?

Old 06-30-2020, 10:38 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post

Clinton would have beaten Trump if she ran a better campaign, she would have beaten any of the other candidates. The republicans might even lose the senate, that was unthinkable a few months ago.

Nikki Haley would make a great choice, not much else.

Last edited by Goodnight; 06-30-2020 at 10:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies