Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 02:49 PM

50,264 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Until I joined City-Data (and I was in my 50s at that point) I never realized how many people had been dropped on their heads as infants.
Or Mothers drank through the entire pregnancy. Nothing else would make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 02:54 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,429,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I have to wonder how the OP wrote that post with a straight face.

They had "labor to clean up trash"? You've got to be joking. Didn't you notice all the graffiti and vandalism? Didn't you notice the graffiti that said "F*** the SPD" and "The SPD is an STD"?

No one cleaned up trash. Get real.

You also show no concern for the actual residents. You know---the ones in their condos and apartments? Nor did you show concern for business owners who were forced to pay extortion if they wanted to stay in business.

Do you have a home and a yard? If so, you can invite them to create a new CHOP in your backyard.
Here read this, they had actual trash centers: https://grist.org/ask-umbra/what-is-...-trying-to-do/

They weren't starting from scratch, they were utilizing the city infrastructure to use collective labor so everyone was valued in the community.

This is the way communities were organized in America before commuter culture broke through and financial speculators divided zones by residential and commercial needs while populating an area with transplants and immigrants with no connection to the land.

They messed up a lot, and there was a lot of trash in CHOP, but it had the fundamentals to improve. Rather than cultivating this new form of capital distribution and political organization to help build up a producer economy based on guilds nationally, it was torn down.

It should have been worked on and improved, not destroyed.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:56 PM

10,064 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Like I said the Clara, the actually 'property' in modern day Seattle is formed by strict zoning laws that determine who and how someone invests in the land, and populated deliberately by transplants and immigrants to create a bedroom community of commuters and open to distribution centers for global capital disguised as 'small businesses'.

There was a grey area in setting up CHOP, and they should have fought for it, but Capitol Hill wasn't a community like what Americans considered a community in the old days.

Even back then a real community was made up of local who both had residential and commercial interests in their zone and pooled together capital since everyone in the community had shared value. It created a shared culture, not the isolated one that is created today by the consumer based model.

Again shades of grey, but nothing in this world is black and white.
I think you are maybe not thinking in reality here. It's a pie in the sky communal type of hippie land idea you are pitching, but it's not grounded in reality.

No gray area at all. They were trespassing by camping out and claiming it was not in the US. It was on US land.

Anyway, it was a pretend plan that lasted too long, and the kids who established it should join a cult or something, to exercise their energies.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:56 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,958 times
Quote:
Like I said the Clara, the actually 'property' in modern day Seattle is formed by strict zoning laws that determine who and how someone invests in the land, and populated deliberately by transplants and immigrants to create a bedroom community of commuters and open to distribution centers for global capital disguised as 'small businesses'.

There was a grey area in setting up CHOP, and they should have fought for it, but Capitol Hill wasn't a community like what Americans considered a community in the old days.

Even back then a real community was made up of local who both had residential and commercial interests in their zone and pooled together capital since everyone in the community had shared value. It created a shared culture, not the isolated one that is created today by the consumer based model.

Again shades of grey, but nothing in this world is black and white.
I've never read such an unabashed mass of self-serving drivel in my entire life. Especially when used to justify ice cream, drugs, and murder for entitled, under-educated, and under-employed mentally ill squatters.

The USSR is due West of Seattle and Forty Years in the past. Good luck.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:58 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Here read this, they had actual trash centers: https://grist.org/ask-umbra/what-is-...-trying-to-do/

They weren't starting from scratch, they were utilizing the city infrastructure to use collective labor so everyone was valued in the community.

This is the way communities were organized in America before commuter culture broke through and financial speculators divided zones by residential and commercial needs while populating an area with transplants and immigrants with no connection to the land.

They messed up a lot, and there was a lot of trash in CHOP, but it had the fundamentals to improve. Rather than cultivating this new form of capital distribution and political organization to help build up a producer economy based on guilds nationally, it was torn down.

They are nothing but squatters and parasites.

Once again, do you have a house with a yard? If the answer is "yes", then invite them to create a new CHOP in your backyard. I suspect the thought of doing that has you squirming.

Stop making excuses for those thugs. What they did was despicable. Period.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I think you are maybe not thinking in reality here. It's a pie in the sky communal type of hippie land idea you are pitching, but it's not grounded in reality.

No gray area at all. They were trespassing by camping out and claiming it was not in the US. It was on US land.

Anyway, it was a pretend plan that lasted too long, and the kids who established it should join a cult or something, to exercise their energies.
All those morons that ended up with felonies will now find out how hard life really will be.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:05 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,429,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

The point was for it not to be a fringe hippie movement, but a mainstream reform movement.

They used city infrastructure, only changing how capital was allocated. It could have reformed the country to become a producer society of guilds rather than commuters and consumers.

Melding residential and commercial zoning promotes pooling together labor and a neighborhood who shares the same stock and work together.

Financial speculators and city municipality have made it so that zones are divided into bedroom communities populated by transplants and immigrants.

The kids made mistakes, but they also utilized mainstream infrastructure with collective ends. It could have been reformed and promoted nationwide to coexist with personal property and create real small businesses sourced locally.

But instead it was destroyed, leaving hope of an alternative minimal at best.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:07 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,163,499 times
Many weren't kids... What is wrong with your thinking??? They killed people. Are you ok with murdering? Are you ok with raping??? I guess so, by your posts...

Open your wallet and pay for the damage, since you're so - ok with what they did.

Parasites. Nothing but scummy losers... Yup!!! Are you one of them????

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:

Maybe they should have followed that advice to begin with and not destroyed the city.

It looked like the beach in PB back in the 80s. The bums either begged, stole or sold drugs/prostitution. That is not a society I would think anyone would want. The life expectancy of that crowd was around 40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies