Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: if black americans were "model minorities", would we still have racial tension?
Yes, racism and hate would still exist as it does today 33 17.37%
Some, but a lot less 92 48.42%
No, racism as it currently exists in the US would cease to exist 55 28.95%
Don't know 10 5.26%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 11:17 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
personally, I think a lot of the negative sentiment towards blacks (in 2020 pre-riots, not 1950) are not due to pure racism, but because of stereotypes and behaviors we all witness regularly. i'm talking about the outspoken minority of blacks that wear their pants below their asses, blast rap music in their cars, speak the "dialect" of english that they do (in regards to accent, grammar, words and pronunciation of), and the fact that majority of violent crimes in major cities are committed by blacks. instead of negative stereotypes, if they had positive stereotypes such as asians who value education and hard work, my guess is that a lot of the racism would not exist. if they spoke "white english" instead of ebonics, and were not on generational welfare, did not glorify rap and gangsta lyfe, etc... basically if they were culturally the same as americans, and didn't live this ghetto subculture, they would be looked upon in higher standing than they currently are. i'm not saying that it would completely cease to exist, because there are people who are just racist by nature, but we would not be having BLM protests and riots like we have today. it's not their skin color that's holding them back, it's their actions.
Sorry, but I think most of that post is moronic because it is so simplistic. I forget who, but someone once told me that our biggest problem is we have too many simple answers and not enough simple problems. A lot of how we got to where we are in 2020 can be traced to the federal government "trying to help". But that too is too simple. You have to add in factors like the lessening of reverence in American society, shifts in education in terms of what is important to teach, and at least another half dozen, significant societal factors independent of these, but accelerating and contributing to this place we are now.

In 1960, only 8% of African American children lived with their mother alone. Now that number is over 47%. Only 36% of African American children live with married parents vs 74% of white parents (down from 85% btw) and 85% of Asian households. So many problems branch out from this lack of roots.

It isn't too late to reverse government policies that have caused this, but it won't be an overnight fix. There has been a culture grow around the new realities in African American households, but you have to start someplace.

That is the easy part. How do you change our educational system that has been veering off course since the late 1960s? They (academics) don't think there is a problem. Our educational institutions have failed American society from Kindergarten all the way through PhD programs.

How to return reverence to America is even harder and more complicated. I don't know how to begin that absent strong, moral leadership in the country.

Lastly, I think stereotyping of anyone is bad. Asians aren't "model immigrants", they are individuals who make up a group; the same goes for whites, Hispanics and African Americans. See people as individuals, not group identity, unless that group is "American".

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Do you ever ask what the root cause of certain antisocial behaviors of a minority of African Americans is? I think you’ve got the cart before the horse.
I agree, although I think you and I disagree what that "root cause" might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
I think most of the problems this ethnic group have are made much worse because of their own behavior . Removing 200 year old statutes does nothing to help these people learn to succeed.
I think most of the problems this ethnic group has are made much worse because of government policy, apathy on the part of their fellow citizens, poor education both in book learning and life skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Another thread obsessing over Black people. It’s damn near harassment.
The nation is "obsessing over Black people" because the media is "obsessing over Black people".

Old 07-02-2020, 11:21 AM

24,642 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Well look at all the other races in america who don't complain and are doing fine. Theres your answer.
Exactly, Asian Americans and African immigrants aren't whining every second. They're too busy being prosperous. I'm black american, all we do is whine, as if there aren't blacks all around the globe who envy us for being born in the richest country on earth.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:22 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...it's not being celebrated as white culture....and no one is out destroying and killing trying to make it acceptable
Yeah, white trash is as disgusting as black ghetto culture; BUT...normal white folks look down on white trash, not embrace their ways as a culture to be admired and striven towards (except for some country music, ugh).

Black folks seem to cleave to the lowly...makes no sense to me.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:37 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Yeah, white trash is as disgusting as black ghetto culture; BUT...normal white folks look down on white trash, not embrace their ways as a culture to be admired and striven towards (except for some country music, ugh).

Black folks seem to cleave to the lowly...makes no sense to me.
“Seem to” implies you have know idea what Black people actually do. You just watch video clips and run with it because it confirms your bigotry.

How many Black members in congress or in corporate America are showing up with “ghetto culture” at their gigs?

You people just make this up as you go.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:40 AM

18,458 posts, read 8,287,342 times
Quote:
“Seem to” implies you have know idea what Black people actually do. You just watch video clips and run with it because it confirms your bigotry.

How many Black members in congress or in corporate America are showing up with “ghetto culture” at their gigs?

...you just made his point

Old 07-02-2020, 12:04 PM

11,502 posts, read 6,016,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So if Black people were essentially more "mainstream" in the 1940's and were still legally relegated to hyper-segregated neighborhoods despite a desire to integrate, what does that tell you?

We were subjected to the worst types of violence while protesting in our Sunday best during the CRM. Rosa Parks was strategically chosen as the symbol of the Montgomery Bus Boycotts for respectability/PR purposes instead of Claudette Colvin, yet after the boycotts Whites all but abandoned public transportation.

Our so-called lack of respectability isn't the real issue.
My point is spot on for the discussion.

The OP's question is if overall the US black population behaved like other demographic groups, would the racial tension between black people and white people as a group diminish or disappear.

Lets talk about the racial tension between Asian people and White people as a group. Oh wait, we barely have any threads on that topic, because it barely exists. There are bad apples in the White group and there are bad apples in the Asian group.

There are White people predjudiced against Asians for no real reason but that Asians are different.

There are Asian gang members and Asian criminals.

But by and large, Asian families have very high rates of marriage with fathers in the home helping support families and raise children. Asian children have very high rates of educational success right through to college degrees and post graduate college degrees. Asian people have high employment rates. The Asian proverty rate is perennially low. You don't see high criminal activity propagated by relatively large numbers of Asians.

My point is, if black people today with all of the opportunities afforded them for education and occupation, still lived in like matter as they had in the repressive 1940s when they lacked those equal opportunities, then black poverty rates would plunge and crime along with it. Then nationwide perceptions of black people as a group would not be of the most crime ridden and most troublesome demographic of people.

I am posting this for others to read and consider, not for you. Your mind is made up and there is nothing I can say to change it. Thanks. My apologies if I am wrong about that.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:41 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
The obsession continues. Are all white people judged by their underclass? No. Then stop doing the same to black people. Take care of your own mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Indian, Asian, and Jewish/Israeli immigrants are all model immigrants. As are many blacks from the Caribbean and from African countries.
They all come from a culture that respects law and order, values intact families , doesn’t obsess with victim-mentality, and values education.

Until we as a country have the courage to address the CULTURAL dysfunction in many black communities instead of constantly blaming systemic racism, we will be stuck in a stalemate.
Why can’t you describe us as Caribbean or African people? You know how to list the other groups without color labels but when you get to Caribbean and African people, it’s “blacks” from. Respect our cultures and label us as such.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:45 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,754 times
Quote:

I'm going by how prevalent, popular and well known ghetto culture is, especially since rap became a big thing. The black people I have personally known, in the middle and upper middle classes do NOT embrace ghetto culture.

Why do more people know who "50 Cent(s)" is than the brilliant Thomas Sowell? Are black ghetto kids being taught to revere Thomas Sowell, Ben Carson, or JayZ?

Why is the image of a pants below buttocks, Ebonics speaking gold toothed thug, the more well known image, if is a rare and unpopular image? Who is promoting this image to the point that white suburban kids mimic it? It is popular. The q is why.

I'd much rather see decent successful black people being emulated and made popular.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 07-02-2020 at 01:51 PM..

Old 07-02-2020, 12:46 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Exactly, Asian Americans and African immigrants aren't whining every second. They're too busy being prosperous. I'm black american, all we do is whine, as if there aren't blacks all around the globe who envy us for being born in the richest country on earth.
Poor choice of words. “Black” people do not envy Black Americans, generally speaking. Many would like the opportunities but do not envy them. It has been a long road for Black Americans and people don’t want their cultures to endure those experiences.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:47 PM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
We will never be able to help the poorest of the poor in this country, especially black Americans but whites, Hispanics and others as well, unless we can provide good decent paying working class jobs for them.

For years, the ticket out of poverty was for the parents to get a blue collar/working class job. Then they would save enough so that Johnny would be the first in the family to go to college.

But that means stop allowing other countries to pilfer jobs from us. Other nations, notably in Asia and Europe understand the importance of keeping good blue collar/working class jobs available because they understand not everyone is going to be able to go to college. Unfortunately our country is dominated by upper class greed and the "free trade" myth.
And Trump is the ONLY president in my lifetime who has actually done something about both your points.
And I cant stand his narcissistic personality and some of his behavior, but I look for results in a politician.
I am excited about his opportunity zones project that rewards businesses who create jobs AND training for blighted minority areas. This project has already turned some minority lives around. The TRAINING part will be the key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies