Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: if black americans were "model minorities", would we still have racial tension?
Yes, racism and hate would still exist as it does today 33 17.37%
Some, but a lot less 92 48.42%
No, racism as it currently exists in the US would cease to exist 55 28.95%
Don't know 10 5.26%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 04:11 AM

1,485 posts, read 953,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I wish the crime, ghetto style, rap music, insistence on not speaking proper english, and high single parent birth rate were addressed. If those things didn't exist, AND THEY VERY MUCH DO, I doubt we'd have a huge problem with racism.
This ^^ right here is the elephant in the room !

A lot of the rappers and hip hoppers are disgusting role models to the young people. I lost count how many times I see yet another “aspiring rapper” killed in or otherwise involved in a shooting, got jail time for illegal firearm possession. Then there are the ‘gangbangers’. Look at how young blacks dress with pants hanging below their butts, copying the style of the rapper criminals.

Many times it’s not a skin color thing, it’s how they carry themselves and present themselves.

The African American community needs to call out their entertainers to clean up their image so that their young men have better role models.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:13 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
My point is spot on for the discussion.

The OP's question is if overall the US black population behaved like other demographic groups, would the racial tension between black people and white people as a group diminish or disappear.

Lets talk about the racial tension between Asian people and White people as a group. Oh wait, we barely have any threads on that topic, because it barely exists. There are bad apples in the White group and there are bad apples in the Asian group.

There are White people predjudiced against Asians for no real reason but that Asians are different.

There are Asian gang members and Asian criminals.

But by and large, Asian families have very high rates of marriage with fathers in the home helping support families and raise children. Asian children have very high rates of educational success right through to college degrees and post graduate college degrees. Asian people have high employment rates. The Asian proverty rate is perennially low. You don't see high criminal activity propagated by relatively large numbers of Asians.

My point is, if black people today with all of the opportunities afforded them for education and occupation, still lived in like matter as they had in the repressive 1940s when they lacked those equal opportunities, then black poverty rates would plunge and crime along with it. Then nationwide perceptions of black people as a group would not be of the most crime ridden and most troublesome demographic of people.

I am posting this for others to read and consider, not for you. Your mind is made up and there is nothing I can say to change it. Thanks. My apologies if I am wrong about that.
The thing is, we're the nation's original "model minority"; we've already been there and done that, waaayyy before Asians--who were only able to immigrate here post-WWII as part of civil rights legislation that Black folks bled and died for--got here in large numbers. Right after slavery, we tried to jump into the mainstream with both feet, serving in Congress, state legislatures, militias, city councils, etc and your kinfolk didn't like that too much so they decided to overthrow governments to which we were duly elected and go on killing sprees targeting Black folks. We migrated to major cities for jobs, only to have more of your kinfolk and even immigrants inflict violence on us, American-born citizens. If it was suspected that a Black man so much as looked at a White woman the wrong way, White men started foaming at the mouth and killing anybody Black he could get his hands on. We protest for our rights in our Sunday best and got beaten to bloody pulps. Our children protest, they get police dogs and fire hoses turned on them, and they die from their churches getting bombed. Then our leaders get killed for daring to demand our equal rights. I mean it was only five years ago that a young White racist--not some old hardened segregationist but someone in his early 20's--drove almost two hours to a historic Black church in his state and slaughtered nine upstanding, respectable Black Christians who welcomed him into their Bible study. Hell a crap ton of y'all went completely BONKERS a couple years ago over NFL players doing nothing but kneeling. KNEELING!

I just don't know why you think we should believe you that if we "go back to how we were before," things will be different this time. Fool me once...

Old 07-03-2020, 04:37 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We tend to gravitate towards people who share our values of what we consider important. We reject those who don’t.
I’m sure there are many black families with traditional values who are in contempt of other black people, too. It’s easy to assume it’s about skin color, but is not.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:45 AM

11,770 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
My point is spot on for the discussion.

The OP's question is if overall the US black population behaved like other demographic groups, would the racial tension between black people and white people as a group diminish or disappear.

Lets talk about the racial tension between Asian people and White people as a group. Oh wait, we barely have any threads on that topic, because it barely exists. There are bad apples in the White group and there are bad apples in the Asian group.

There are White people predjudiced against Asians for no real reason but that Asians are different.

There are Asian gang members and Asian criminals.

But by and large, Asian families have very high rates of marriage with fathers in the home helping support families and raise children. Asian children have very high rates of educational success right through to college degrees and post graduate college degrees. Asian people have high employment rates. The Asian proverty rate is perennially low. You don't see high criminal activity propagated by relatively large numbers of Asians.

My point is, if black people today with all of the opportunities afforded them for education and occupation, still lived in like matter as they had in the repressive 1940s when they lacked those equal opportunities, then black poverty rates would plunge and crime along with it. Then nationwide perceptions of black people as a group would not be of the most crime ridden and most troublesome demographic of people.

I am posting this for others to read and consider, not for you. Your mind is made up and there is nothing I can say to change it. Thanks. My apologies if I am wrong about that.
The only thing I'm going to interject here is that there is some racism concerning Asians by those that served in Vietnam. I've seen it in my friends who served - but if Asians sense these feelings they don't make an issue of it.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:58 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We tend to gravitate towards people who share our values of what we consider important. We reject those who don’t.
I’m sure there are many black families with traditional values who are in contempt of other black people, too. It’s easy to assume it’s about skin color, but is not.
Agree — it’s cultural, not skin color.
Sadly, the democrats keep glorifying thug culture through their entertainment industry and their political ideological excuses for bad behavior.
Until we have black leadership that demands cultural reforms, teaches alternative life values, until it’s okay to shame and punish bad behavior, we will be stuck right where we are.....

Old 07-03-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is one difference. I feel like middle class Black people have to answer for the sins of thugs and hood rats, even if we don't live near them. I feel like I have to go above and beyond, to go that extra mile, to prove that I'm not a threat sometimes. It's easy to stay away from the underclass trash. It's convincing other people that you aren't that trash, which is a bigger test.
Can't rep you again but many of my friends feel the same way and unfortunately it's only going to get worse the longer the media provides coverage for all of this and police aren't given the authority to stop the looting and rioting.

Please know though that the fear people are feeling is not only from young blacks but from the young whites supposedly supporting and often instigating this behavior.

Old 07-03-2020, 05:04 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The thing is, we're the nation's original "model minority"; we've already been there and done that, waaayyy before Asians--who were only able to immigrate here post-WWII as part of civil rights legislation that Black folks bled and died for--got here in large numbers. Right after slavery, we tried to jump into the mainstream with both feet, serving in Congress, state legislatures, militias, city councils, etc and your kinfolk didn't like that too much so they decided to overthrow governments to which we were duly elected and go on killing sprees targeting Black folks. We migrated to major cities for jobs, only to have more of your kinfolk and even immigrants inflict violence on us, American-born citizens. If it was suspected that a Black man so much as looked at a White woman the wrong way, White men started foaming at the mouth and killing anybody Black he could get his hands on. We protest for our rights in our Sunday best and got beaten to bloody pulps. Our children protest, they get police dogs and fire hoses turned on them, and they die from their churches getting bombed. Then our leaders get killed for daring to demand our equal rights. I mean it was only five years ago that a young White racist--not some old hardened segregationist but someone in his early 20's--drove almost two hours to a historic Black church in his state and slaughtered nine upstanding, respectable Black Christians who welcomed him into their Bible study. Hell a crap ton of y'all went completely BONKERS a couple years ago over NFL players doing nothing but kneeling. KNEELING!

I just don't know why you think we should believe you that if we "go back to how we were before," things will be different this time. Fool me once...

Old 07-03-2020, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
Never seen such a racist post without the OP realizing it but at least you're honest. So basically for you the only way to be American is to "act white".

African Americans are here just as long as some of White American ancestors (even before if you include the bulk of immigrants that came in the 19th century) and they are culturally American, no question. It's just not the same culture as you but when you see the size of the country what did you expect.

I didn't even bring up the Native Americans.

You're the one who seems to have a complex here...
Act respectably like every other nationality represented in the US - it's not hard. Blacks never had this supposed "culture" before the 80's. They aspired like everyone else to have a family, good job ect… Better themselves, better their kids lives ect… Instead of emulating some of the most successful blacks like Michael Jordan, Colin Powell, Idris Alba - they idolize criminals talking about drugs, hoes and killing.

Old 07-03-2020, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
****ing wow. Do you hear yourself?

The 'good ones' hate other blacks too. Along with you. Jesus.

Living where I do, this is so crazy to me to be taken back into a time capsule with you ignorant hillbilly white trash 'value' people.

Only trash talks this way, of hate. Gross.

Old 07-03-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I wish the crime, ghetto style, rap music, insistence on not speaking proper english, and high single parent birth rate were addressed. If those things didn't exist, AND THEY VERY MUCH DO, I doubt we'd have a huge problem with racism.
Do you know that I , living among black people, have literally never seen with my own two eyes pants below the ass? Never. Only in photos. This is in your mind. How many could you possibly have ever seen? And you think everyone does it.

Why do you think they 'insist' upon not speaking English? I've never met a black person that doesn't speak perfect English.

That they, along with whites, prefer slang in casual settings does not mean that they do not know and use proper English.

You don't know any black people do you? And your TV/movie watching is decades behind.

It's illuminating, it's interesting, it's fascinating to read from you folks, but it's also gross and I have a sudden grave concern about the IQ of the Average American reading in these threads lately.

And from people IRL on facebook lately. So riled up by current events they are showing their asses. Wrapping themselves in the Confederate flag, trying to secure themselves, that yes, they are better than SOMEONE.

Trash. Trash, trash, everywhere. White Trash.

There are all sorts of avenues for positive self-esteem raising. Google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies