Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: if black americans were "model minorities", would we still have racial tension?
Yes, racism and hate would still exist as it does today 33 17.37%
Some, but a lot less 92 48.42%
No, racism as it currently exists in the US would cease to exist 55 28.95%
Don't know 10 5.26%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 02:09 PM

6,335 posts, read 2,888,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
This is where you lost me. What criminal act was Elijah McClain participating in to have his life taken by a police officer?
He should have cooperated with the police. He resisted so they restrained him. They had no way to know that he wasn't a criminal. They are trained to question people who are acting suspicious. I've had it happen to me on many occasions.

No one knows the cause of death. It might not have been the cops. Paramedics injected him with 500 mg of ketamine as a sedative to reduce his agitation and it might have been a drug reaction that killed him.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:20 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,951,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
He should have cooperated with the police. He resisted so they restrained him. They had no way to know that he wasn't a criminal. They are trained to question people who are acting suspicious. I've had it happen to me on many occasions.

No one knows the cause of death. It might not have been the cops. Paramedics injected him with 500 mg of ketamine as a sedative to reduce his agitation and it might have been a drug reaction that killed him.
So he has to prove that he didn't do anything illegal; guilty until proven innocent, huh? Exactly what crime was he suspected of commiting? I can call the police and say that you look suspicious just because your socks don't match. Does it make sense that you will have to prove that you didn't commit a crime? We don't know his cause of death, but what we do know is that he was alive before his interaction with the police. The Police killed that kid.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:25 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,394,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
People will always find an excuse to hate.
Just like people will always find an excuse to excuse their own behavior, failures, and lack of independence.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:27 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
He should have cooperated with the police. He resisted so they restrained him. They had no way to know that he wasn't a criminal.
SO guilty until proven innocent ???????

Quote:
They are trained to question people who are acting suspicious. I've had it happen to me on many occasions.
the act of suspicion was walking down the street.

Quote:
One thing leading to the other means the officers were culpable.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:27 PM

5,978 posts, read 2,231,948 times
Err, perhaps our cultural problem of Lumping Every Member of a race in together, as the OP did with the poll, is the problem.

Seems that causes more problems with race relations than anything else, regardless of who is doing the lumping. Lots of that on this forum and is likely why you guys get such low responses from black posters.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:31 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
It's not hard to find Black people who are working hard, who don't commit crimes, who are diligent. They aren't difficult to find. However, thugs/hood rat types get the most attention. And Black people have a higher chance of being judged based on the very worst of its members.

I'm not into pants sagging at all. At the same time, I've seen pant sagging from both White kids and Black kids. When I was growing up (late 1990s and early 2000s), pant sagging was big among White skateboarders. I actually learned pant sagging from White kids (my middle school was 95% White during the late 1990s). I got into high school and got around more Black kids, many Black kids had sagging pants as well. As nutty as pants sagging is, Blacks aren't the only ones I've seen it from. I've seen it from Whites, I've seen it from Hispanic persons as well.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:35 PM

157 posts, read 109,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snerk View Post
Some people might wear their pants below their asses, but some people just ARE the asses.

You should know!

Old 07-03-2020, 02:39 PM

5,978 posts, read 2,231,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It's not hard to find Black people who are working hard, who don't commit crimes, who are diligent. They aren't difficult to find. However, thugs/hood rat types get the most attention. And Black people have a higher chance of being judged based on the very worst of its members.

I'm not into pants sagging at all. At the same time, I've seen pant sagging from both White kids and Black kids. When I was growing up (late 1990s and early 2000s), pant sagging was big among White skateboarders. I actually learned pant sagging from White kids (my middle school was 95% White during the late 1990s). I got into high school and got around more Black kids, many Black kids had sagging pants as well. As nutty as pants sagging is, Blacks aren't the only ones I've seen it from. I've seen it from Whites, I've seen it from Hispanic persons as well.
I have treated more White adults of all ages for Hepatitic C due to their IV drug additions than any other race by a mile. Yet I am smart enough to know that DOES NOT mean all white folk is heroin addicts or its just the lower-class ones.

Remember the only difference between a rich drug addict and a lower class addict is their potential to get caught. Because I treat plenty of millionaire Heroine addicts that use that money and protection (police do not run into a Corporate Office without a warrant) so they don't have exposure to the police while copping their drug of choice.

In other words, lumping people together only leads to arguments and BS.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:41 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Err, perhaps our cultural problem of Lumping Every Member of a race in together, as the OP did with the poll, is the problem.

Seems that causes more problems with race relations than anything else, regardless of who is doing the lumping. Lots of that on this forum and is likely why you guys get such low responses from black posters.
Some people don't really care. There are Black people who fit the "model minority" mold and still face more prejudice than other persons. If someone is doing their part as a productive citizen, what is the point in that person going through more prejudice than what someone else would go through?

I think about this. Being that "model minority" didn't keep me from dealing with racial tension when I was in high school. I didn't keep me from being bullied in racially motivated ways. My father is that kind of Black person one could call "model minority". It hasn't stopped him from being pulled over and treated like a potential criminal. It didn't stop him from dealing with potential job discrimination. It hasn't stopped me from dealing with job discrimination.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:43 PM

12,030 posts, read 6,560,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You are correct.
The same thing goes for whites — the vast vast VAST majority are not racist.
But democrats black and white want us to believe all whites are racist, especially conservative whites who are all closet white supremacists sneaking nooses into black folks’ garages.....

The reason blacks have a higher chance of being judged badly is because of the disproportionate percentage of bad behavior compared to any other demographic.
THAT is what I keep pounding on this forum needs to change. Just look at the poll thread today where at this time 83% say changing black behavior would reduce rand improve race tensions.

It broke my heart seeing so many of my black students fall into the dysfunctional thug and gansta culture only because it dominated their neighborhoods, their relatives, their peers, their music, etc etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies