Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: if black americans were "model minorities", would we still have racial tension?
Yes, racism and hate would still exist as it does today 33 17.37%
Some, but a lot less 92 48.42%
No, racism as it currently exists in the US would cease to exist 55 28.95%
Don't know 10 5.26%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 10:22 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Indian, Asian, and Jewish/Israeli immigrants are all model immigrants. As are many blacks from the Caribbean and from African countries.
They all come from a culture that respects law and order, values intact families , doesn’t obsess with victim-mentality, and values education.

Until we as a country have the courage to address the CULTURAL dysfunction in many black communities instead of constantly blaming systemic racism, we will be stuck in a stalemate.
We will never be able to help the poorest of the poor in this country, especially black Americans but whites, Hispanics and others as well, unless we can provide good decent paying working class jobs for them.

For years, the ticket out of poverty was for the parents to get a blue collar/working class job. Then they would save enough so that Johnny would be the first in the family to go to college.

But that means stop allowing other countries to pilfer jobs from us. Other nations, notably in Asia and Europe understand the importance of keeping good blue collar/working class jobs available because they understand not everyone is going to be able to go to college. Unfortunately our country is dominated by upper class greed and the "free trade" myth.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:24 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The irony is that the behavior of poor black people seems to move in an inverse proportion to actual racism. Before the Civil Rights movement, black people were the victims of open, blatant racism, both codified in law and widely accepted by custom. Yet, you see images of black protesters calmly carrying signs, dressed in suits, not causing a bit of trouble even when they're set upon by police dogs.

Yet now, when legalized discrimination has been consigned to the dustbin of history, and anti-black racism, while still in existence, is but a shadow of its former self, you see . . . well, you see what the OP described.

If ghetto black people looked and dressed and spoke -- and, especially, acted -- now as they apparently did prior to the 1960s, anti-black racism would barely exist at all. It would be something people saw in old movies or read about in history books, and they'd shake their heads and wonder, why would white people be prejudiced against such fundamentally decent people?
HA you said what I just posted, but way more eloquently!!

Yes, why is this the case!? Why did pre civil rights era black folks in the main, behave like normal citizens vs today? Black crime, it was not even a thing back then. They had less but did more.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:25 AM

11,240 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Another thread obsessing over Black people. It’s damn near harassment.

Some love the attention it appears, since we're having BLM garbage crammed down our throats 24/7 these days. You all are the ones bringing insane amounts of attention to yourselves, and it's not the good kind of attention. As far as "harassment" goes, the only ones that seem to be doing the harassing are the BLM agitators.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:26 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Black folks are not peaceful. I know that. Never said we were. Whites can’t seem to accept that and continue playing the game of greed.
Welp, we agree. Most white folks are not fond of people who aren’t peaceful. We mock our own who aren’t peaceful because we don’t like it! But I disagree that ALL black folks aren’t peaceful. Unfortunately, the ones who are not are the loudest, constantly seeking attention. Ok, here’s their attention - but now some say it’s obsession.

If the neighbors keep yelling and screaming all night, are you “obsessed” because you notice and share your opinion? Don’t want attention or anyone talking about you (general you) then stop making a scene.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:28 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
It is obvious that Asians are the model minority, and that blacks are "otherwise". Way other wise.
My model minority use to be the majority lol.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:32 AM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
I think it is patently obvious that it takes two to tango. The worse a person acts, the worse a person is treated. The worse a group acts the worse a group is treated.

There is a reason why the Reverend Jesse Jackson said, “There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

I think 2 things are going on, poverty and separatism.

Things have only been legally fair for black people since 1965 or so. For 300 years, there was legalized racism against black people. They have only had a level legal playing field for 50 some years. That is recent history. As such, there are a lot of poor black people who have not been able to lift themselves out of poverty. It doesn't help that Democratic politicians are invested in insuring black people are poor, to keep them dependent and to keep them voting for entitlements. It is hard to be a "model minority" when you are dirt poor and lack all the stuff everybody else has and don't see a path for yourself and your children out of poverty.

The second thing is increasing black separatism. It is always vital for immigrants to assimilate to receive fair treatment. The more immigrants assimilate into the middle class norm, the less people think of them as "different" and accept them, with all the benefits that entails. I used immigrants as example. African Americans are not immigrants, but the same idea applies. The more they behave like the middle class, the more they will be included in the middle class. A lot of the prejudice toward black people is simple fear.

My father told me about the black ghettos of the 1940s. Most black people were married. Most black children had a father. Most black men worked and provided for their families. They were like everybody else but black and with way less opportunities due to institutional racism.

Since then, a lot of black people are being pressured not to "act white". Studying, working hard in school and getting good grades can be a marker for "acting white". So then the single best way to lift yourself out of poverty and to insure a middle-class income and lifestyle, becomes suppressed because it relates to how white people do it. Add to that a gang-banger wanna be lifestyle, listening to counter culture rap lyrics all day. And soon, there are going to be a lot of poor black kids that despise the American Dream either because they no longer believe they can achieve it, or because that is acting white.

It is a complicated answer.

As far as the poll question, of course any group of peolpe who contributes the most to society and "acts the best" will be valued by society and "treated the best". Those groups who for whatever reason behave the worst and cause the most trouble, will always be treated the worst. That happens even in small groups of friends or coworkers.

You trust the people who help you and distrust the people who betray you. You trust the people who comfort you and distrust the people who harm you. You are not going to view the friend who often steals from you like you do the friend who is always offering to help you out.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 07-02-2020 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-02-2020, 10:36 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
You can clearly see from the poll it’s black behavior that matters to people, not the color of their skin. it’s black BEHAVIOR that is causing all the stereotyping, fear, division, and problems. Not systemic racism
BLACK BEHAVIOR MATTERS

Well said! I truly never perceived or treated blacks any differently from anyone else until I lived in blacker neighborhoods and got all of my attempts at socialization on a real and honest level rebuffed. So I shrugged my shoulders and decided to let them segregate themselves, but blaming ME for their segregation is just too damned much!

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Some love the attention it appears, since we're having BLM garbage crammed down our throats 24/7 these days. You all are the ones bringing insane amounts of attention to yourselves, and it's not the good kind of attention. As far as "harassment" goes, the only ones that seem to be doing the harassing are the BLM agitators.
And it's being done by white Democrats and corporations. It's as if they're taunting us to blame blacks so they can say "see they are anti-black". I'm not falling for it. Black people are great. They need to just go after their real enemy Democrats and vote for Trump.

3,771 posts, read 1,522,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
We will never be able to help the poorest of the poor in this country, especially black Americans but whites, Hispanics and others as well, unless we can provide good decent paying working class jobs for them.

For years, the ticket out of poverty was for the parents to get a blue collar/working class job. Then they would save enough so that Johnny would be the first in the family to go to college.

But that means stop allowing other countries to pilfer jobs from us. Other nations, notably in Asia and Europe understand the importance of keeping good blue collar/working class jobs available because they understand not everyone is going to be able to go to college. Unfortunately our country is dominated by upper class greed and the "free trade" myth.
it is no one's duty to "provide" jobs.
perhaps you can say it's the govt's responsibility to provide an environment that is friendly to job creation, but no one is owed a job.

and what comes first before jobs is good morals and some semblance of work ethic, which is sorely lacking in the service sector from what I see. if you're a ****ty worker, you're not going to last long anywhere (unless you have strong union protection).

you don't have to be brightest or most diligent worker to get by, but having pride in your work goes a long way.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:40 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,522,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
HA you said what I just posted, but way more eloquently!!

Yes, why is this the case!? Why did pre civil rights era black folks in the main, behave like normal citizens vs today? Black crime, it was not even a thing back then. They had less but did more.
agreed. there must've been a movement or a shift in attitude well before my time that triggered this change.
this was most noticeable to me, as a casual basketball fan, when I observe players from the 70-80's. I look back at clips of interviews from players like from kareem all the way to MJ and they spoke and dressed like normal people.
it wasn't until the 90's, where you had people like iverson speaking ebonics, tattoes on every inch of his skin, walking like a thug, etc.

what changed in those 2 decades?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies