Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 03:46 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

There is no good reason for an American patriot to celebrate or honor the Confederacy.

Confederates committed treason. They attacked and waged war against the U.S. They wanted a nation where all men are not created equal.Hundreds of thousands of casualties later, they surrendered.

They and their descendants have continued to work at undermining the nation ever since.

Think of all the lives lost. Think of all the potential lost to our nation because of racism, segregation, ...

Enough already.

We are facing a ton of problems, we need all hands on deck.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 07-03-2020 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 03:48 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwen View Post
It's their heritage, their grandfathers died for it. PC pinheads like you need to get over it!
You know, you remind me of a co-worker I had years ago who had the hammer and sickle from the USSR flag tattooed on his leg. I personally was a bit offended considering half of my family still lives in the Czech Republic and Slovakia which during the Cold War were under the Soviets boot.

So I asked him why he had the hammer and sickle tattoo? He responded because his parents were from the Soviet Union. I then said, "why didn't you just get a Russian flag tattoo instead, since the USSR doesn't exist anymore?" And he dumbly responded "because my parents weren't from Russia, they were from the Soviet Union". I was dumbfounded and annoyed to say the least

Old 07-03-2020, 03:49 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
A quote from a local election commissioner on social media has caused an uproar.

What's the problem? We're hearing much worse from people like the governor of Kentucky.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:19 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There is no good reason for an American patriot to celebrate or honor in any way the Confederacy.

Confederates committed treason.
1. The treason thing is ridiculous.
2. Of the two sides, the Confederacy was the only one fighting for freedom in any respect. The Union's ONLY motivation was to perpetuate involuntary servitude. It wanted and needed tax dollars from teh seceding states. The Union's position was that people in the Confederacy could continue to own chattel slaves as long as the Union could force everyone involved -- slaves, masters, and others -- to be their tax slaves.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:27 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times
Quote:
No not their grandfathers, unless they’re 150 years old.

The old flag was adopted at the start of the Civil War. They lost. It needed to come down. The flag and the statues were a constant reminder to about 40% of the population of the servitude of their ancestors. It’s divisive. It should have come down long, long ago.
40%? I keep hearing that blacks represent "only" 13% of the population! Fuzzy math??

Old 07-03-2020, 04:31 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
40%? I keep hearing that blacks represent "only" 13% of the population! Fuzzy math??
Mississippi is about 38% black. That 13% figure is for the whole country. But we're talking strictly about Mississippi here....

Old 07-03-2020, 05:25 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
You lost 155 years ago.

Get over it.
The only ones who seem incapable of getting over it are those who continue to (for decades) attack a piece of cloth as "offensive" and "racist"

Old 07-03-2020, 05:34 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Not a few of the people here likely wish that the Confederacy had won and they would still be able to have slaves. Slavery is great for the slaveowners, but I'm not sure how well it would go over in an advanced civilization like ours. There are still slaveowners in the U. S. who exploit immigrants trying to get into the country, working in manufacturing and other endeavors, so they would also likely be glad to be open about their business.

Is that the kind of society that you want, hbdwihdh378y9, one where the right to own slaves still existed? Would you personally own slaves if it were legal?

Old 07-03-2020, 05:53 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
I always laugh at these threads. The North had tons of racism also.

Jackie Robinson suffered most in Philadelphia, and 7 of 8 NL teams his rookie year were NORTH of Mason Dixon.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l.../NL/1947.shtml

Joe Biden was anti busing his whole career, vehemently, to extent GOP sought out his support where they opposed busing. Wilmington, Delaware riots were so bad National Guard spent 9 months patrolling.

Biden also delivered a eulogy for his very good friend, a man he sponsored bills with, Strom Thurmond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ZdFjZxQXA

I also btw know Ct towns spotlighted less than 30 years ago for red-lining (a/k/a keeping non-whites out).

Pick any state, and one will find many things that 1960s Mississippi would be comfortable with.

I say that despite being born in Ct, and living a total of 43 years in the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies