Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 06:39 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Wait, what the hell? I just noticed you're from New Jersey.

Before you get the big head about how your state has dealt with COVID, let's look at the numbers.

New Jersey has a population of 8.8 million, with 13,533 deaths.

Texas has a huge population of 29 million, with 2592 deaths.

How can you possibly criticize the state of Texas handling of this pandemic, when the state you're being so callous to brag about has absolutely shocking numbers of deaths compared to Texas numbers? Not even the same ballpark, usayit.
Well duh.. raw numbers don't tell the story of the current state of things.. does it... Most of those fatalities occurred on the onset of the Pandemic. It also means we know what we are talking about... while the rest downplayed the seriousness of the situation.

If you want to know the real story of today, where we are NOW, and where we are headed, you need to look at the sliding average.

https://www.covidexitstrategy.org/

There are three green states.. Guess which ones are taking this seriously?

Bragging??? I'm not bragging.. I'm pointing out the stupidity of repeating mistakes with consequences of people's lives.

First you think I wish this on people. Now you think I'm bragging about death stats. You have a serious problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 06:41 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Well duh.. raw numbers don't tell the story of the current state of things.. does it... Most of those fatalities occurred on the onset of the Pandemic. It also means we know what we are talking about.

If you want to know the real story of today, you need to look at the sliding average.

https://www.covidexitstrategy.org/

There are three green states.. Guess which ones are taking this seriously?
Uh huh. Talk to the hand. I can't believe you are posting bragging about your state's success with covid and basically wishing illness on Texans.

With raw numbers like those, you have NO CALL to compare New Jersey favorably with the way Texas has fared during this crisis, and boast y'all got it right.

Go enjoy your drinks. We can also drink outside, and always have been able to.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:43 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
It looks like the Texas governor has finally Googled, “how diseases spread.”

Old 07-02-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It's hard to believe that just yesterday Abbott's sidekick Dan "Piggie" Patrick was going on and on about how Fauci was always wrong and didn't know what he was talking about.

Abbott's move made Patrick look like a bigger idiot than we already thought he was.
This ^ Meanwhile, the three governors here NJ, NY, and CT were repeating over and over Dr. Fauci's advise and pleading with their constituents to follow.

That's the difference... and why I'm angered. TX should absolutely could have avoided repeating what happened in NJ, NY, CT.. absolutely could have been avoided if they simply listened.. and better mitigated the spread. They had the time to plan.... they had the time to observe what happened here and learn from it... they know more about the virus than we did when it hit us.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:48 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
https://abc13.com/harris-county-judg...order/6292458/

I mean...here in southern California I'm used to living in a Marxist hellhole (uh huh). Getting a straw is harder than getting an audience with the Pope.

But conservative/Republican paradise Texas?

What gives?
Its 60/40. People think that Texas is some reoublican mecca and its not.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Uh huh. Talk to the hand. I can't believe you are posting bragging about your state's success with covid and basically wishing illness on Texans.

With raw numbers like those, you have NO CALL to compare New Jersey favorably with the way Texas has fared during this crisis, and boast y'all got it right.

Go enjoy your drinks. We can also drink outside, and always have been able to.
You are completely not listening.. and don't understand the basics of statistics. Anyone with a little bit of math sense understands the fault of your logic.

Texas is failing not because of numbers but because they are repeating mistakes that could have been avoided.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:57 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
You are completely not listening.. and don't understand the basics of statistics. Anyone with a little bit of math sense understands the fault of your logic.

Texas is failing not because of numbers but because they are repeating mistakes that could have been avoided.
I understand statistics, and I certainly understand that someone bragging about their state's success with Covid when they have 8.8 million people and 13, 533 fatalities vs. the state they're criticizing that has 29 million people and 2592 fatalities.

Anyone with any math sense at all - even a 2nd grader - can see you've got no call to gloat over your state's success and say incredibly callous things like "I'm going to head out and down a few tonight... toast to my fellow Texans sick/dying because of incompetence".

To all my OTHER fellow Americans living in New Jersey and New York, the country was pulling for you and aching at what you were going through, and cringing each day when new stats came out showing you still weren't able to turn the tide and get your feet back under you as we were all praying would happen much more quickly.

But you, usayit, pound sand.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:05 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It's hard to believe that just yesterday Abbott's sidekick Dan "Piggie" Patrick was going on and on about how Fauci was always wrong and didn't know what he was talking about.

Abbott's move made Patrick look like a bigger idiot than we already thought he was.
It’s like the left hand isn’t talking to the right hand.

Left hand: Don’t get any water near me! Water bad! Freedom!
Right hand: I’m on fire. Extinguish with some water STAT before it burns the arm and the rest of the body.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I understand statistics, and I certainly understand that someone bragging about their state's success with Covid when they have 8.8 million people and 13, 533 fatalities vs. the state they're criticizing that has 29 million people and 2592 fatalities.

Anyone with any math sense at all - even a 2nd grader - can see you've got no call to gloat over your state's success and say incredibly callous things like "I'm going to head out and down a few tonight... toast to my fellow Texans sick/dying because of incompetence".

To all my OTHER fellow Americans living in New Jersey and New York, the country was pulling for you and aching at what you were going through, and cringing each day when new stats came out showing you still weren't able to turn the tide and get your feet back under you as we were all praying would happen much more quickly.

But you, usayit, pound sand.
I don't believe you quite understand what conclusions can be drawn from raw numbers over a timeline versus a sliding average of a period of time.

If a poor person living on the streets made (and lost) a million dollars years ago, is he still a millionaire?

Even better.. if another followed in that person's foot steps and also ended up on the streets, does that make him smarter?

Do you even know what a sliding average is and what it means? 2nd grader might not.. since they really only know addition and subtraction... hmm...?

Old 07-02-2020, 07:07 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:

Failing? How so? Can you give us some specific examples?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies